Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Pull behind tag  (Read 3869 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Pull behind tag
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »

Just scanning through pics looking at all the nice looking trailers and noticed tags on some and some without tags. I am sure it is a state by state law. I Oklahoma I don't have to tag my enclosed or my pull behind. After getting stopped in Texas a few years back I bought a tag for my enclosed. Have any of you ever had any issues or questions asked by LEO for not having your pull behind not being tagged?
Most great stores start with a bad decision

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Pull behind tag
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 03:39:55 PM »

Used to live in Kentucky, who then did not require personal trailers to be licensed but got stopped more than once in Indiana. Finally went to local county courthouse and got a document that stated the Kentucky statues and was signed by the county court clerk. Only got stopped once after that and trooper who started out being a dick, looked at the document, called it in to someone, came back and apologized and away I went.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »

They are required in Alabama but I’ve never put one on my trailer (17 years now) and have never been pulled over or questioned about it.  I did have a SOFTAIL tag on the back that was reflective and almost looked legit so that may have helped. Have also pulled the trailer to FL and TN multiple times and never had an issue in either state.  So there: just guaranteed myself a ticket next time I hook it to my truck!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »

Lived In Alabama for 13 years never had a tag on my trailers that I pulled behind my motorcycle. Living in Florida now and they do require it but I still only run a Barber Motorsports tag. I have pulled all over the country and never been stopped for a trailer tag. Actually since I only keep the trailers a short time I seldom if ever title them in my name.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 02:08:20 AM »

Oregon doesn't register trailers if they're under 1800 lbs.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »

Trailers under 2,000 lbs do not require a title in Florida only registration and a tag.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »

All kinds of problems can come about do to not having a title or a plate if your state requires one. I ran a tow company at one time, no title meant no owner. You get in an accident or just get towed in for parking/breakdown or whatever and have no title and some unscrupulous tow companies will not let you have your trailer back. And until you provide whatever they require they don't have to give it back, even if you pay the tow. They also can charge you pretty much whatever they want for the search to determine that no title exists. Be careful here and protect yourself.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »

All kinds of problems can come about do to not having a title or a plate if your state requires one. I ran a tow company at one time, no title meant no owner. You get in an accident or just get towed in for parking/breakdown or whatever and have no title and some unscrupulous tow companies will not let you have your trailer back. And until you provide whatever they require they don't have to give it back, even if you pay the tow. They also can charge you pretty much whatever they want for the search to determine that no title exists. Be careful here and protect yourself.

I do carry the Bill of sale with me if no title exists but do admit I don’t run a state tag. Bill of sale has the vin number of the trailer and hopefully would stand up as proof of ownership. If I decide to keep the current one I may tag it as I am where I plan to be till the end.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »

Done a little checking here in Oklahoma and for $7 I can purchase a tag. Thinking I would rather do that over spending a half hour along side of the road trying to explain why I don't have one
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »

Done a little checking here in Oklahoma and for $7 I can purchase a tag. Thinking I would rather do that over spending a half hour along side of the road trying to explain why I don't have one

That’s a smart move.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »

Very smart move.

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 07:43:51 AM »

Tennessee does not require a trailer tag unless it's a commercial use trailer, then yes.  However, I had a trailer tag on all three of my Bushtec trailers because I did pull them in more states than just TN.  If you get pulled over in other states, your penalty/fine/charge will be based on that states statutes, not the state in which you live.  Smart thing to do is check the states you are traveling through on a trip and see what they require.  If one or more of them requires a plate on your trailer, get one. 

If you don't have a plan and are roaming the country side willy-nilly, be pro-active and have a plate on your trailer.  Yellow09 stated it very well above as it's better to have and enjoy the ride then sitting on the side of the road explaining why you don't and still getting a ticket... ;)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 10:00:29 AM »

I live in Oregon, no plate required and I have traveled through quite a few states with it. I guess I got lucky as I was not aware of others that require plates or subject to tickets. Guess I will have to look into getting one if I do that anymore. Thanks for the heads up.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 12:17:57 PM »

Never put a tag on my BUSHTEC since as Haird said it’s not required in TN. But I did register it and got a tag I carried with me in case I got stopped. Hoped I could produce the tag and affix it even temporarily if got stopped. Thankfully that’s never happened

Just hated to drill holes in that custom paint to mount a tag. And it looks so much better without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »

Down here in the backwards state of confusion ( South Carolina ) no tag is required on small utility trailers. I have towed an American Legend to Sturgis and back and to Canada and back. Also down to Florida and back. I have towed my homebuilt Redneck trailer to Eureka Springs and back. All without the first bit of BS from the local and state police. I do have a Certificate of Origin and my bike has a state tag which is required. I was surprised that I didn't get harassed at the Canadian border.

Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.