Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Oil Drain Plug  (Read 2003 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Engine Oil Drain Plug
« on: August 25, 2018, 05:15:19 PM »

Curious what others experiences have been about this.  Today I changed the motor oil in my 2018 Tri-Glide.  Today and the last time I changed the motor oil I noticed that the drain plug is not tight at all.  By that I mean it took hardly any effort to turn the plug when I put the socket on it to remove it.  Now there was no dripping and no sign even of weeping around the plug but I've never encountered this on any of my other Harleys.  At the last oil change I tightened the plug more than I normally would and even re-checked it several hundred miles later and it was tight.

And it is butter smooth unscrewing it.  I can take it out and re-install it up to the point of contact with just my fingers.  Never had another bike like that.

Don't know if something changed on the M8s - really doubt that - or maybe the moco is getting better with its fitment, ha, ha.  Anyway I don't guess it is a problem since it has not leaked but I don't like it being so loose.  I did tighten it up pretty good today.  I know there is a torque spec for it but I've never checked it with a torque wrench.  What do you guys do - snug it up or actually use a torque wrench.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Engine Oil Drain Plug
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »

I use a torque wrench and torque to lower spec 19Nm (14lbs).
If over tightened you run the risk of yielding the threads.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 07:26:04 PM »

Barnes HD had mine in very tight......out of curiosity I used a torque wrench to loosen it.....I think it was 46ft/lbs. The trans and primary we also over-tightened....I think they used an air wrench!!!

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:15:46 PM »

Hi Jerry, my drain plug always screws in real smooth until it hits the o ring. I have never had mine brake loose easy but they always turn out easy. I use the factory torque setting of 18 foot pounds of torque, after I install a new o ring I always put a very thin coating of pipe plug sealant with Teflon in it on the threads so the steel plug will not have a reaction against the aluminum housing. never had any trouble at all. By the way how do I follow someone like you follow me on this site. have a good weekend Jerry tell the Queen we said hello!!!!

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »

I do my own oil changes and have noticed the same thing. I do not consider this to be a problem of any sort. Just be sure to not over tighten.

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 1962 XLCH
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »

Curious what others experiences have been about this.  Today I changed the motor oil in my 2018 Tri-Glide.  Today and the last time I changed the motor oil I noticed that the drain plug is not tight at all.  By that I mean it took hardly any effort to turn the plug when I put the socket on it to remove it.  Now there was no dripping and no sign even of weeping around the plug but I've never encountered this on any of my other Harleys.  At the last oil change I tightened the plug more than I normally would and even re-checked it several hundred miles later and it was tight.

And it is butter smooth unscrewing it.  I can take it out and re-install it up to the point of contact with just my fingers.  Never had another bike like that.

Don't know if something changed on the M8s - really doubt that - or maybe the moco is getting better with its fitment, ha, ha.  Anyway I don't guess it is a problem since it has not leaked but I don't like it being so loose.  I did tighten it up pretty good today.  I know there is a torque spec for it but I've never checked it with a torque wrench.  What do you guys do - snug it up or actually use a torque wrench.

Do they still use the rubber O-Rings on the drain plugs on the M-8's?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »

Do they still use the rubber O-Rings on the drain plugs on the M-8's?
Sure. Same plug, same o-ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.