Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help!!! Fat Cat / Ghost Pipe / MRi Center Stand / Install  (Read 2373 times)

jakefromstatefarm

• GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
Help!!! Fat Cat / Ghost Pipe / MRi Center Stand / Install
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:55:15 PM »

Guys,

I need help mounting the center stand and ghost pipe. What are you doing with the crossover to the ghost pipe so that the center stand can go all the way up??? There's cutting a notch in the crossover pipe and shield but I cant believe that that's the only way. It cant be! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

2018 RG
D and D Exhaust with Ghost Pipe
MRi Center Stand
jakefromstatefarm
2018 CVO RoadGlide (GunShip)
Nothing done "yet".

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Help!!! Fat Cat / Ghost Pipe / MRi Center Stand / Install
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:34:41 AM »

Most center stands I'm familiar with, including the RIVCO model I've been using for about ten years, won't work with cross-under exhaust systems.  I was interested in the S&S system that is similar to the 2 into 1 into 2 system Harley uses these days on touring models, and had to abandon the idea when it became obvious the exhaust wouldn't work and couldn't be modified to work with that kind of exhaust.  I'm not familiar with the MRi stand you mentioned, but I would imagine the physics haven't changed and both parts can't share the same space.

How important is that ghost pipe to you?  IMHO the center stand is a much more important option than a fake muffler on the left side.  I resisted installing a 2 into 1 for a long time due to the visual appearance issue, until I finally realized function is much more important than how it looks.  And when you're riding down the road, you can't see the mufflers anyway.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jakefromstatefarm

• GA

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »

First thanks for your reply. As you know on our CVO's there are 2 notches on our bags so you have to have a ghost pipe. That's really all there is to it. You can't have a single exhaust unless you change the bags. And I've done that on previous models and decided to go with the CVO bags and the dual look on this one. So ya...I want my cake and eat it too. Look and performance. But I've seen some pretty clean mods to the crossover's to make it work...I'm just making sure for sure that I know all of my options before I make any mistakes by choosing any one or the other. Thanks again.
jakefromstatefarm
Nothing done "yet".

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »

I'm going to ask the obvious question that may be stupid (I plead "never had a ghost pipe"):

If it's a ghost pipe, it's not functional, there's no exhaust gas going into it...so why does it need a crossover pipe (other than to provide physical support)?  Couldn't you rig up a bracket (or modify the existing setup) to provide support without interfering with the center stand?

JM2c
If you want peace, prepare for war.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »

I'm going to ask the obvious question that may be stupid (I plead "never had a ghost pipe"):

If it's a ghost pipe, it's not functional, there's no exhaust gas going into it...so why does it need a crossover pipe (other than to provide physical support)?  Couldn't you rig up a bracket (or modify the existing setup) to provide support without interfering with the center stand?

JM2c
Easy job.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »

I opted for no ghost pipe on my CVO. It’s dead weight for no reason. I actually think it looks bad ass now that I’m use to it:) the overall power characteristics are so worth it, sound wise I’m still adjusting but like it more and more.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »

First thanks for your reply. As you know on our CVO's there are 2 notches on our bags so you have to have a ghost pipe. That's really all there is to it. You can't have a single exhaust unless you change the bags. And I've done that on previous models and decided to go with the CVO bags and the dual look on this one. So ya...I want my cake and eat it too. Look and performance. But I've seen some pretty clean mods to the crossover's to make it work...I'm just making sure for sure that I know all of my options before I make any mistakes by choosing any one or the other. Thanks again.
I have a buddy that went w/a 2 into 1 pipe w/the notched bags... the left bag he fitted a NOS bottle in the opening (not hooked up though)... talking about a conversation starter. :D :D  Just something to think about... you don't neccesarily have to have an exhaust (or ghost) pipe in that opening.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:00:09 PM »

You can get used to the look.  As mentioned; that look is behind you when you're going down the road (and enjoying the pipe's performance) anyway.

jakefromstatefarm

• GA

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »

Got it all figured out. We ended up taking the crossover to a local welder who cut a nice chunk out of it and then also took a nice clean cut out of the heat shield as well and then gave it back to me raw. On my way back to the shop I picked up some flat black spray and after about 6 coats it looks like nothing ever happened. I just did not want to cut anything anywhere but that's building a bike, cuts and chops to make things that should fit out of the box fit.

My only real frustration is with the center stand manufacturer and/or the exhaust manufacturer. I have no idea why one or the other has yet to produce an option for either of their products to work with a dual exhaust/ghost pipe set up because I assure I will never be the guy with bags cut for dual exhaust with just one pipe, if it's cool for you I am not saying anything, it's just not for me.

Anyways, after solving this problem on my own (and with guidance from riders on other forums and pages), I now know that the crossover could be easily manufactured with the notch already cut in it since after all...it's 100% useless outside of providing the appearance of a functional dual set up and of course as additional stability for the ghost pipe.

Thanks guys for your effort. I'm gracious.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:14:53 PM by jakefromstatefarm »
jakefromstatefarm
Nothing done "yet".

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »

My only real frustration is with the center stand manufacturer and/or the exhaust manufacturer. I have no idea why one or the other has yet to produce an option for either of their products to work with a dual exhaust/ghost pipe set up

I now know that the crossover could be easily manufactured with the notch already cut in it since after all
It might be b/c there are so many manufacturers of center stands.  The ghost pipe manufacturers don't know which c/s will be used, and I imagine placement of the crossover cut would be slightly different for each.  Your solution lets you use any c/s you like.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

jakefromstatefarm

• GA

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 10:10:51 PM »

No bro...there are just a few (being 5 or less) center stand manufacturers. Either way they all have to mount in the same exact spot with pretty much the same exact specs, specifically for balance purposes. But at this point it wouldn't help me anyway. Problem solved.
jakefromstatefarm
Nothing done "yet".

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.