Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stage 1 from factory?  (Read 1797 times)

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Stage 1 from factory?
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »

New to the 110 Twin Cam and trying to figure out if the bike already has stage 1 from factory. I see it already has the air breather, what about the tune? I would like to get rid of the CAT to help with heat, do I need to re-tune? Also, what cams come in the 110? Are they the same ones most people upgrade the 103 to for stage 2?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Stage 1 from factory?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »

Stage 1 (open) air cleaner is stock, stock ecm flash, SE255 cams are stock.
Any changes to the exhaust will require a retune with a flash tuner like the TTS or Power Vision for a properly running bike.

MCE

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:50:52 PM »

New to the 110 Twin Cam and trying to figure out if the bike already has stage 1 from factory. I see it already has the air breather, what about the tune? I would like to get rid of the CAT to help with heat, do I need to re-tune? Also, what cams come in the 110? Are they the same ones most people upgrade the 103 to for stage 2?

The best tune would be a custom tune by a competent tuning shop. Those are typically independent shops (like
Docs in Florida, or CNS in Belleview Ill. Jason is very good)

The dealers are generally "just ok".  A canned map is going to be better than nothing at all,  sometimes they're pretty close if it's a common combo. Close is not good enough for me.

A good tuning shop will spend a full day or more on a tune to make it right. It amazes me how many guys spend a bunch
of money on high-dollar parts and then skimp on the tune.

The tune is the most important part! Even if it's just cams and pipes, the tune is the icing on the cake, and no Two bikes
are going to be identical (tune wise) even if they are the same exact bikes. (That's just how it is)

You can get in the ballpark with a canned map but to get it dead on the money, you'll need a custom dyno tune.
The result is well worth it! Your bike will run better, engine will last longer and most of all, you'll be so happy with
how it starts and runs.

Bite the bullet and get it tuned by someone with a good reputation. C&S (Jason) is very good too. I don't know what
part of the country you're in. But there's lots of good tuning guys out there.

JMHO
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:51:46 AM by MCE Performance »

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 08:18:05 AM »

where are you?that would help with recommending a good tuner

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »

The best tune would be a custom tune by a competent tuning shop. Those are typically independent shops (like
Docs in Florida) the dealers are generally "just ok".  A canned map is going to be better than nothing at all,  sometimes they're pretty close if it's a common combo.

A good tuning shop will spend a full day or more on a tune to make it right. It amazes me how many guys spend a bunch

The tune is the most important part! Even if it's just cams and pipes, the tune is the icing on the cake, and no Two bikes
are going to be identical (tune wise) even if they are the same exact bikes. (That's just how it is)

You can get in the ballpark with a canned map but to get it dead on the money, you'll need a custom dyno tune.
The result is well worth it! Your bike will run better, engine will last longer and most of all, you'll be so happy with
how it starts and runs.

Bite the bullet and get it tuned by someone with a good reputation.

JMHO
Thanks for all the good info. I have ESP on the bike so it needs to be tuned by Harley on their dyno. I'll start asking around to see who is the best. I am in South Florida.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 10:33:47 PM »

It amazes me how many guys spend a bunch

That confuses me as well. It seems like people have endless budgets for parts. Then when it's time to make the bike run correctly, the dyno is too expensive and they care nothing about getting 100% yield out of all the parts.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:56:25 PM »

ESP and Harley having to do the work?? Where did that come from? Harley's extended service plan is in no was regulated by a dyno tune.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »

Get hold of Mark Russo at Cycle Dynamics at 3300 S. Congress Ave. in Boynton Bch. 1 of the top 3 tuners in Florida.  ;)
John

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »

ESP and Harley having to do the work?? Where did that come from? Harley's extended service plan is in no was regulated by a dyno tune.

I was under the impression with ESP any work had to be equal to the factory with slip-ons being the exception. Does anyone know different?

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »

Actually some of the Harley dealer dyno tunes I've seen, the customer was lucky to not have major parts failure problems.  :oops:
John

MCE

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »

John, your dealers are just like ours then. I've seen stealer tunes come out worse then they went in with.
(I wouldn't let those monkeys put air in my tires)  ???

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.