Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: OLD SCHOLL IS GONE  (Read 4393 times)

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
Re: OLD SCHOLL IS GONE
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 08:41:44 AM »

Joe Robison of Daytona Beach Florida was an old school dealer like that! He sold his dealership in 1993 but continued to do business until recently. His grandson has run the business for years. It is officially closed now & the grandson is liquidating parts & collectibles through Ebay.

Every year that I would go to Bike Week & Biketoberfest I would go & see Joe. Biketoberfst 2018 the shop was closed & I was disappointed as another old Harley Shop is no more! Joe's health is failing & the shop is in bad shape. I was there earlier this week to pick up an item I bought off Ebay & in talking to the Grandson he will be selling on Ebay for years. robisonmotorcycles is his sellers name if interested. He has a lot of old nos parts for sale & you could probably get in touch with him for that sought after part.

Ride Safe today!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »

When i was in flight school at Fort Rucker, Al. I drove up to Albany, Ga, and bought my 68 sportster in 68 from Potter Harley in Albany, Ga. 1500 dollars cash and he gave me a helmet and painted it orange to match the bike.

The place was the size of about 4 garages, one and half for the show room and 2 and half for his shop.  He only had my harley and a 74 in the showroom.

After i bought it he rolled it in the back, went over everything and told me to bring it back in about 4 or 5 weeks so he could change the oil, adjust the chain and anything else needing adjustment, no charges like 1000 mile 300 dollar whatever.

I remember he had a lot of black and white pictures and a few trophies gathering dust on a few shelves of him on a sportster dirt track racing, he walked with a slight limp.

After a tour in Nam and one in Iran, that was when most people hadn't yet heard of that place, the Army sent me to Daytona Beach to get my degree from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, I was a frequent visitor to Robinson's, much bigger than Potters, but old school, good people.

I do miss the old days.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:27:31 AM by 68 XLCH »
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 09:48:14 PM »

Just my .02 but I think the loss of old hobbies and interest or "old school" ways is partially our own fault. The younger generation is only doing what it was brought up to do. How many of us took our kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews or just kids in general on bike rides or help teach them maintenance in the garage or driveway? Kids need to be exposed to things when young and attach good memories to the old stuff to create a bond.
I also wonder if society has become so safety conscious that kids now learn all about the dangers of motorcycles (murder cycles or donor cycles) and none of the fun. Much advertising is now focusing on all the "bells and whistles" on a bike or other vehicle and not much is said about performance and handling and the feel of the open road and being out in nature.
Just look at all the articles and joy over self driving cars and how much safer we will be with them and then the occupants can concentrate on their computer screens or smart phones and taking selfies etc.
We as a society need to unplug and look life in the face and talk directly to others and notice our environment. (in my opinion.)  :soapbox:  ;D
agree!

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »

Quote from: VaEagle on November 16, 2018, 01:42:41 PM
Just my .02 but I think the loss of old hobbies and interest or "old school" ways is partially our own fault. The younger generation is only doing what it was brought up to do. How many of us took our kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews or just kids in general on bike rides or help teach them maintenance in the garage or driveway? Kids need to be exposed to things when young and attach good memories to the old stuff to create a bond.
I also wonder if society has become so safety conscious that kids now learn all about the dangers of motorcycles (murder cycles or donor cycles) and none of the fun. Much advertising is now focusing on all the "bells and whistles" on a bike or other vehicle and not much is said about performance and handling and the feel of the open road and being out in nature.
Just look at all the articles and joy over self driving cars and how much safer we will be with them and then the occupants can concentrate on their computer screens or smart phones and taking selfies etc.
We as a society need to unplug and look life in the face and talk directly to others and notice our environment. (in my opinion.)  :soapbox:  ;D
agree!

I saw this on another post....

R.I.P. America !!! You went soft on discipline. You raised the cost of living so high that both parents are always at work, rather than spending time with their children. You took God out of schools. Parents were told 'No you can't discipline your kids'. Kids have rights blah, blah, blah. Well. America!! You shall reap what you sow, we have lost generations of offspring that have turned into selfish, disrespectful brats who have no respect for people, property or authority! Things need to change! Copy & paste if you have the guts too!!! I am curious to see how many of my friends will agree with this.
2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 05:59:54 PM »

I saw this on another post....
i certainly do not disagree. :(

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 06:34:39 AM »

Sorry to hear, but what happened to OLD SCHOLL? ;)
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 08:51:49 AM »

Worked in a small back alley garage in the late 60s.  Worked on everything from cars to tractors to bikes.  Ran by 2 brothers, both had very healthy appetites.  Both rode Harleys a HydraGlide and an ElectraGlide.  Heard similar comments from them about older bike riders (40s & 50s generation) being tougher & better as compared to "softer" riders of these newfangled bikes these days - referring to late 60s.  Some things change but they don't change that much. A good guess that a similar conversation could have been heard in the 40s talking about riders from the 20s & before. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 11:33:29 PM »

Worked in a small back alley garage in the late 60s.  Worked on everything from cars to tractors to bikes.  Ran by 2 brothers, both had very healthy appetites.  Both rode Harleys a HydraGlide and an ElectraGlide.  Heard similar comments from them about older bike riders (40s & 50s generation) being tougher & better as compared to "softer" riders of these newfangled bikes these days - referring to late 60s.  Some things change but they don't change that much. A good guess that a similar conversation could have been heard in the 40s talking about riders from the 20s & before.
so that is how long it took to get us where we are today!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 02:28:10 AM »

so that is how long it took to get us where we are today!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss:

There is no new thing under the sun when it comes to biatching.  Or another way to put it.....old old school was better than the new old school, but the old old old school was best.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Wunderkind

• Junior CVO Member
  • The older the bull the harder the horn!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE 5 Riptide blue/Titanium dust
    • CVO2: FLSTFAE 2005 (First CVO engine - 95 ! cui) denim black/24K Tank Cloisonne
    • CVO3: FLHR 1996, vivid Black, only 10K mls when bought in 2021!
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 07:52:04 AM »

Corrrrrrect! Nothing to add.

That´s why I prefer probably the last of all OldSchoolRiders Parties in the world! No Trailers, Golfcarts, 5th wheelers or Cages allowed on the premises!! Just put up your tent or sleep beside your bike under the wide open sky. Only HD/Buell/Indian allowed. Tons of Shovels, Couple of Pans, Lots of Evos...... don´t forget the TC´s. Between 12 and 20.000 visitors that STAY the whole time.

Average age of riders 50, you can see Riders from 25 up over 70. Lots of young guns from Scandinavia with old iron....  that´s where I enjoy still the things that are mostly gone in the actual Riders world. It´s like an OldSchool Family meeting. Couple of stages with real fine Rock like Molly Hatchet or Volbeat. You can hear languages from all over Europe - sounding all different. But the laughing outloud is always the same.

5 days every year - make me thinking of the 360 other days a year.

V8 or V2 - nothing else!

don´t trailer - ride!

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »

I have to agree with the beginnings of this conversation on stereos. When I bought my 13' CVO the stock stereo was much better than my 2000 Ultra. I don't use it much because I would rather listen to my pipes and the wind while I am cruising down the road. This is my way of relaxing.

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 03:20:50 PM »

i agree  :huepfenlol2:

groupw

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: Silver/Silver '16 SERGU
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »

I also wonder if society has become so safety conscious that kids now learn all about the dangers of motorcycles

......... with apologies to any 'legal pros' among us, society has become so 'sue happy' that 'acceptable risk' is being scrubbed out of daily activity.
.... motorsports are risky behaviors, and they are not promoted
.... training for & managed properly, risk can be exhilarating, too bad so many choose to avoid rather than train and manage

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 08:28:03 PM »

If you think you want to be old school ride a hard tail for 500 miles in one day and you will get over it. I see a lot of mods to other people's bikes that I would never do to mine but it doesn't matter what I think when it comes to other people's bikes. To each their own. As for me, I have been riding one kind of bike or another fifty years and my next bike will probably be electric. I like the idea of flying down the road with no noise at all. Nothing but the sound of the wind. Plus the look on other riders faces when I blow past them will be priceless.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »

If you think you want to be old school ride a hard tail for 500 miles in one day and you will get over it. I see a lot of mods to other people's bikes that I would never do to mine but it doesn't matter what I think when it comes to other people's bikes. To each their own. As for me, I have been riding one kind of bike or another fifty years and my next bike will probably be electric. I like the idea of flying down the road with no noise at all. Nothing but the sound of the wind. Plus the look on other riders faces when I blow past them will be priceless.
Had a old timer friend that rode a hardtail when he was young. I asked how he did it?....good drugs and alcohol was his answer. He was serious. Said it was a miracle he survived, no suspension, no front brake, rear drum brake, extended front end.

Thankfully we have moved forward.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.