Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chips in clear coat?  (Read 2886 times)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
Chips in clear coat?
« on: November 14, 2004, 07:18:07 PM »

I've got 2600 miles and haven't gotten a chip in the clear coat over the ground metal as of to date (knock on wood).  I remember reading somewhere that there is six coats of clear over the metal.  Do all the CVO's have a combination of paint and clear that adds up to six?

Sir_Nuke

• I ride it like I stole it!!
Re: Chips in clear coat?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 10:45:19 AM »

I doubt that very much.....

but if I were you .... I would buy the touch up for it NOW, as you can bet your fender or tank will rust in a hurry if you ever do get a chip in it....
'03' SERK, SE slip-ons, Stage 1 air cleaner, King Tour Pak, and an honest to goodness HD Quick Detachable Batwing Fairing.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 02:23:09 PM »

I agree on buying the touchup kit 2soaper but I am convinced that the wory of the metalgrind process is unjust. I ordered my bike not knowing of the metal grind process but now after truely understanding the process I feel more comfortable. My dealer has been painting bikes using metlal grind for a year and says they havent had any problems as of yet. Think about it, their are a lot of aluminum wheels coated with a clear finish and some magnesium. The painting process today with the epoxy two part paints make this process more durable with not requiring a primer and being more flexable. So I wouldnt be worried and feal that your fender is covered with eggshells, I for one am comfortable but I will touch up any posible future chips in the coating just as I will the with older more conventional painted surfaces.

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 01:31:40 AM »

Ok I am not sure of the source but I know that I read SOMEWHERE that the metal grind accent in our CVOS is not a clear over bare metal at all, but actually paint that is applied to look like metal grind. Does anyone know the true facts?
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 09:27:27 AM »

Well it happened I have a small pencil eraser size rust spot on the metal grind on the front fender.  No chip in the clear coat, I think it was just a microscoptic crack.  You couldn't even feel it, I tried putting a dab of touch up clear coat on it but it still grew larger.  Took it to the dealer and Harley's going to fix it, only problem I'll be without my front fender for 3 weeks.  Damn!

Taildraggerdave

• Junior CVO Member
  • V-twin Exhaust--the sound of freedom
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »

Replying to SEFatboy Scott,
Our bikes do indeed have clear over ground metal......
Love my '05

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 07:22:23 AM »

Well it happened I have a small pencil eraser size rust spot on the metal grind on the front fender.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »

No it was up farther in the fender about a 12"  from where the metal gird starts to where it splits the Black and Cobalt.  I also thought it was a bug splatter and could not feel any kind of chip, infact it was in an area on top the fender which I would think it would be diffacult to get a chip.  Can't take any photo's, took it to the dealer yesterday and they are sending back under warrantty.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 01:18:00 AM »

Dont Know if you saw my thread in early Dec about a crack/rustspot
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134039370
but got my brand new front fender on Friday 10th March only took 3 months I am happy with that. Just ordered a new rear fender off a 2006 FLSTFSE2 (in primer) for my 200 tyre conversion, I am going to use my stock wheel but have it widened 2 inches & chrome it. Just need some one to paint the fender to match the 2005 colours (I hope they can paint on the metal grind effect)

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
Mike
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 01:21:32 AM »

Sorry Reo,
I got excited & posted my reply before reading yours.

cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
Mike
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 11:07:01 AM »

Good news, the dealer called and asked that I stop by and pick up my original fender.  Harley will replace n/c and ship a new fender and then I'll take mine off again and return it.  So it's back on the road.

longshot

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 03:51:48 AM »

Just found some rust on my front fender and there is no chip or crack that you can see or feel, guess i'll be at the dealer soon.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 10:03:11 AM »

MFG must know they have a problem with these no questions really asked when I showed the dealer.  The problem down the road is after the warrantty is off!

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 10:16:35 PM »

Good news, the dealer called and asked that I stop by and pick up my original fender.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 10:56:16 PM »

Wow I am surprised they want the old fender back.........I have my original fender still on the bike and the replacement that HD sent still wrapped up and in the box ( it was shipped a bit warped ) I managed to straighten out the fender but have yet to take the time to replace it since in the process of waiting for a new fender from the moco I put on a chrome fender accent that covers the chip I had in the paint from the factory. I will save the fender in the box until I need to replace current one as I am sure it will eventually rust out being exposed under the chrome accent. I figure I will get longer life out of it if I keep the old one on and replace it when it NEEDS replacing, so in a couple years I will have a brand new one on the back.

When I got my new fender I asked if I could keep the old one & the stealer told me HD won't cover the warranty if they don't have evidence it was scrapped. He said every couple of months the Moco send someone down under to check up on the warranty stuff & take photos. He told me all the tins they have lined up & bash with a sledge hammer to make them unusable. They take before & after shots. It still sounds to me like he is full of chit! Whats the big deal? why would they go to all that trouble & it only costs them more to do all that.

Cheers
Aussie  
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.