Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on performance upgrades?  (Read 4150 times)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
Advice on performance upgrades?
« on: December 24, 2004, 06:22:30 PM »

I'm thinking about trying to get a bit more performance out of my 103b.  So far I have the 2-1 pipes, PC, and dyno'd.  What would I need to do in addition to perhaps get a bit more HP out her?

mfgreen

Re: Advice on performance upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 06:33:43 PM »

I'm thinking about trying to get a bit more performance out of my 103b.

nhFLSTFSE

• It's time to ride
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 08:36:34 AM »

I also have the 103B and would like to map out my perf mods (more HP) as they can get expensive real quick.
Get some Head work done???
Well I asked one local HD and they replied the heads have maxed out intake now and no room for more? Also indicated roller rockers and primary reduction kit.
Another said the current ones are hemisphereical? I would need to purchase HTCC HP's and go from there.  No roller just stronger push rods. So, just what size valaves do we have now and what cc should we shoot for?
What cc is best for max perf?  With existing pistons or with the 10.5 ones?
I'm thinking of a 257/8 cam.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

nhFLSTFSE

• It's time to ride
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 08:38:03 AM »

How many miles when you dyno'd and the results?

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 10:20:28 AM »

I had around 1500 miles when I ran the dyno:
http://flhrsei.org/attachments/DynaJet_tuned_SE_Fatboy_05.jpg

mfgreen

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 01:29:13 PM »

I'm thinking about trying to get a bit more performance out of my 103b.

mfgreen

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 06:04:05 PM »

I also have the 103B and would like to map out my perf mods (more HP) as they can get expensive real quick.
Get some Head work done???
Well I asked one local HD and they replied the heads have maxed out intake now and no room for more? Also indicated roller rockers and primary reduction kit.
Another said the current ones are hemisphereical? I would need to purchase HTCC HP's and go from there.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 06:08:26 PM by mfgreen »

jmorton10

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 07:17:10 AM »

One thing to keep in mind, any TC motor from 03 on up has the crappy new roller bearing crank setup.  This setup is prone to failure with disastrous consequences if you get too far above 100 HP.

Zippers is doing a Timken conversion for these newer setups that converts your lower end bearings to the 02 & earlier setup.  The conversion is about $300 but you have to split the cases to do it.

~John

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 10:23:58 PM »

One thing to keep in mind, any TC motor from 03 on up has the crappy new roller bearing crank setup.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 01:15:54 PM »

Went thru a computer change so it's been a bit since I last took a look at the CVO forum.  Thanks for all the advice on the upgrading performance, certainly gives a me alot options to ponder.

zigzzagz

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 09:34:11 PM »

2soaper - your next step, is to port the heads, bump up the compression to maybe 10.5:1 , get a new cam like say a woods TW-8, or if you're a diehard MoCo'er an SE251, and then pick up a larger throttle body from Horsepower Inc, or Kuryakyn. That could get you into the 120+ HP range. But really it's the torque you feel anyway. Your best bang for the buck to tell the truth is to change your gearing to 3.37, or 3.48 final and get an 'R' ratio 1st and 2nd gear. That's a much cheaper option and you'll feel it a WHOLE lot more than another 20 HP at this point in the game where you already have 100/100 pretty much.

zigz

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 09:01:42 PM »

this is juz a small performance upgrade that i think some people overlook but the
FLSTFSE comes with standard spark plugs, make sure  ya get the  p/n#32320-91
plug # EX12S it's  much like a split fire plug  that you would find on a car . i put them in and i noticed a conciderable change  and they only cost 13 bucks!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
~late~ Cann

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 01:20:14 AM »

I have read alot of good advice on these forums. I asked the service department at Tilley Harley Davidson * in case your unfamiliar Don Tilley is a very reknowned tuner in the racing industry. What kinds of mods should I do to open up my 103. after pipes and race tuner they recommend bigger compression pistons and a gear driven cam like the Andrews 27g. I asked about headwork, the response was you don't need any headwork on 103+ heads, the cost vs gain would not be worth the trouble and depending on who does the work reliability is not worth the gamble. If you don't like the answer talk to Don Tilley.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 08:11:46 AM »

I have read alot of good advice on these forums. I asked the service department at Tilley Harley Davidson * in case your unfamiliar Don Tilley is a very reknowned tuner in the racing industry. What kinds of mods should I do to open up my 103. after pipes and race tuner they recommend bigger compression pistons and a gear driven cam like the Andrews 27g. I asked about headwork, the response was you don't need any headwork on 103+ heads, the cost vs gain would not be worth the trouble and depending on who does the work reliability is not worth the gamble. If you don't like the answer talk to Don Tilley.

I was under the impression our heads are not 103+ heads. They are just plain old low compression 103 CVO heads
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.