Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: XM Reception  (Read 20394 times)

Rhino

Re: XM Reception
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2007, 12:43:02 AM »

Space aliens send mind melding cosmic rays sometimes that block XM radio frequencies.  At those times, it is best to wear a tin foil hat or a tin foil lined helmet for protection.  Many Canadians are descended from space aliens, & that is why you do not have the problem there as much, due to professional courtesy and all.
 ;D
I moved my XM antenna again - to the top of the dash, between the windshield bags, and it works ok there - much better than in the fairing.

If the XM antenna plugs into the back of the radio, perhaps there is another antenna with better specs, that allow it to work better.  I have to say my vehicles never give me a problem at all, but I think they are buffered for a few seconds, so under bridges, trees do not interfere or loose signal. 

Howeer, my lovely Harley, looses the XM if it senses it is even near an obstruction and breaks off a LOT.  I though about relocation, but was interested to see if anyone knew of a better aftermarket version.   Kinda fits in the same category as the stock GPS, kind of sucks.

Now, I get about 145 songs of data on a disc, plays in the HK as MP3.   If I get the Garmin Zumo, I imagine I can also load up those cards also. and use it plugged into the HK front aux jack. So, If the Zumo is needing to provide good navigation instruction, in areas where it may come in handy, I would use the player from the Zumo through aux to listen to music, while enjoying the interuptions of the ZUmo when it yells at me to TURN HERE!. Otherwise, I can carry 4 discs and get over 500 songs from that batch alone.   I find that Limewire keeps me up to date with a lot of old recordings from the 60'-70's, which I think I missed live due to medication from my....   from the script pads I found....

Rhinooo(psychedelicflashback-caution-comingthrough)
rhINO(wearingfashionablefoilforbetterreception)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: XM Reception
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »

If the XM antenna plugs into the back of the radio, perhaps there is another antenna with better specs, that allow it to work better.  I have to say my vehicles never give me a problem at all, but I think they are buffered for a few seconds, so under bridges, trees do not interfere or loose signal. 

Howeer, my lovely Harley, looses the XM if it senses it is even near an obstruction and breaks off a LOT.  I though about relocation, but was interested to see if anyone knew of a better aftermarket version.   Kinda fits in the same category as the stock GPS, kind of sucks.

Now, I get about 145 songs of data on a disc, plays in the HK as MP3.   If I get the Garmin Zumo, I imagine I can also load up those cards also. and use it plugged into the HK front aux jack. So, If the Zumo is needing to provide good navigation instruction, in areas where it may come in handy, I would use the player from the Zumo through aux to listen to music, while enjoying the interuptions of the ZUmo when it yells at me to TURN HERE!. Otherwise, I can carry 4 discs and get over 500 songs from that batch alone.   I find that Limewire keeps me up to date with a lot of old recordings from the 60'-70's, which I think I missed live due to medication from my....   from the script pads I found....

Rhinooo(psychedelicflashback-caution-comingthrough)
rhINO(wearingfashionablefoilforbetterreception)

Tall trees 20 feet off the road used to kill the XM in the bike, and in the same area my car has a perfect signal.  With the antenna outside, the bike & the car get similar reception.

I also use Limewire.  My son (the young whippersnapper who knows all about computers and Limewire & stuff his old geezer dad tries to keep up with some) told me that Limewire works pretty good for song and other downloads, but to watch out for "dirty hippies" that send nasty stuff sometimes instead of what you think you are getting.  ;)

Considering a Zumo also.  Looked at the 550.  Stock GPS is a bad joke. Heard there is a newer model in the works - Zumo.   If I go that route, XM will not be that important, since the cards allow lots of music.

IskiwhoconsideredafoilMChelmetcomboJiffyPoppopcorndealoncebutchangedhuismindeventhoGlobalWarmingmakesitmorepracticalnow &

isenviousofRhinowhowearsfoilforbetterreceptionwhileriding
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.