Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: D&D or Reinharts  (Read 8573 times)

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
D&D or Reinharts
« on: January 11, 2004, 03:33:42 AM »

Hi everyone. Great site. Was looking for info on serk exhaust and stumbled on the site...it's great. Anyway, Has anyone had any experience w/ D&D pipes. I was thinking about the D&D fat cat 2-into 1 w/ the ghost pipe and then started hearing about the reinharts. Was just about to purchase reinharts because of the look, but read about how they actually reduce torque in the 1000-3000 range (on this site actually!). All I hear and read is that for the best power, you can't beat a 2-into-1 pipe, but i've yet to find anyone with them on a 103. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 03:34:27 AM by gb »
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: D&D or Reinharts
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 04:29:41 AM »

Gb welcome to the board.  It's gettin off to a moderate start but it's been picking up a lot of new members lately.  I think this is the best site for 103" information although there's not a whole lot of it out there yet.

To answer your question, I've always heard that the 2 into 1 is the performance exhaust!  However, that may not be the case with the 103".  I've wrote to S&S, Dynojet, five magazines and nobody has done an exhaust shootout with the 103" motor yet.  American Rider magazine seemed very interested in it and forwarded my letter on to Joe Minton (their tech. go to guy).

You'll see in several area, General CVO, SERK (Screamin Eagle Road King) and SEEG (Screamin Eagle Electra Glide) forums where I've asked everybody for their mods and dyno numbers.  Cabo will be getting his bike Dyno tuned in the very near future.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 08:58:18 AM »

yea..what he said!  I run the rineharts and will have dyno numbers soon!
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

scre103

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 10:11:43 AM »

welcome gb,

can't help you with the pipe decision, i have the screaming eagle performance pipes,and this is exactly the reason i chose harley pipes.there's very little info out there,and if you have the time and means to experiment and spend every other weekend on a dyno getting the tuning right then go for it. i personally did not want to be the pipe pioneer. i'm very happy with the performance pipes,way louder than the stock pipes and they really scream when you get on em!!

met a guy from down south at the milwaukee celebration that had vance and hines 2 into 1's on his 2003 serk and it sounded nice and he was pleased with the perfomance.

gb, do the wind deflectors work? there's been mixed reviews on the v-twin forums. i'd like to get a pair, i've got a lot of wind coming up into my face mussing up my beard!! one salesman from harley told me he thought the wind deflectors would interfere with cooling the serk  engine, but that is a lame answer since the new 103 electra glide has a faring. let me know.

thanks  scre
03 flhrsei2
01 motoguzzi v11 sport rosso mandello
87 honda elite 150 scooter(for the kids)
se high flow air kit
kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs
se efi chip
se performance mufflers
chopped tour pack
standard clea

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 08:02:01 PM »

scre103,
The wind deflectors correct exactly what your describing as a problem. They work Great. Had them on both my Rkings and would not travel w/o them. Highly recommend a set.
[smiley=1syellow1.gif]
As far as heat is concerned, I've used nothing but HD synthetic on my serk. summer temps down here always hover around the 100's. Bike does fine, even in stop and go traffic. w/ one exception. On the picture where you saw the wind deflectors, I had to turn the bike off and let it cool down. We were in 90 degree temps and that line you see me in took 1.5 hours to get through. It was the entrance to a rally and there was no way out. We pretty much started walking the bikes for the last mile. Other than that, bike's done fine. Even in the long lines at Sturgis.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 08:08:17 PM by gb »

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 09:23:57 PM »

Back to the original question, I put Rineharts on mine and love the look and sound.  I'm sure others may be better performande wise, but I was wanting sound and looks--and they are perfect.   I  personally think a RK ought to have two pipes, but that's just my opinion. Of course they're way too expensive-but what isn't when it comes to Harley's [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Steve

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 09:25:47 PM »

:P  That's "performance"    [smiley=drink.gif]
Steve

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
  • Have you kicked your tires lately?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 11:21:38 PM »

Hi guys,  If I can remember to look for em,  I've got 2 dyno runs on my '03 serk that I'll try to put up on here.  I had dual rineharts, a different air box and efi catridge installed prior to the runs.  Stay tuned! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
'03 FLHRSEI2

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 02:37:38 AM »

Okee dokee folks. I ordered my reinharts after all. After speaking with a couple of companies (one of them being bub), I decided to go with them. As always is the case, the answer you get depends on who you speak to. After speaking at great lenght with one of the Techs @ bub, he finally convinced me that if a bike is losing torque between 2500 and 3000 its either because the person tuning it did not know what they were doing, or the wrong pipes were installed. It seems there are 3 size baffles available. It is true that with the 2 1/2" baffle there may be some torque reduction on the low rpm range, but it is more than compensated for on the high end. The 2 1/4" (which is the one I ordered) is the one most recommended by "Mr. Reinhart" himself. That is the pipe that he designed originally. Properly tuned, a bike should not lose any power. Quite the contrary should be true. Then there is the 2" baffle. They simply do not recommend at all (not even bub). Unless you are going for looks and a really quiet ride, this pipe will reduce hp. So...there you have it. No matter what, I really like the look and the fact that the lack of a crossover pipe takes the heat away from the passenger (aka my wife!) is even more reason to use these (summers are hot down here in the Desert Southwest). By the way, Just converted my serk to a pseudo ultra. Pics to follow!. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Later Dudes! [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 02:39:58 AM by gb »

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 12:25:24 PM »

'03 FLHRSEI2

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 12:26:58 PM »

Dyno results after installing a new pc ,  air cleaner and my rineharts
'03 FLHRSEI2

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 03:51:30 PM »

Thanks skooby,
I can't tell which ones are the stock torque #s. Are they the ones in green on 10/25 ? In any case, how does it do with the trailer loaded and 2 passengers. I travel quite a bit on mine and I'm usually pretty loaded. Did you feel a drop in torque after installing the reinharts? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 05:38:59 PM »

GB... the green is the stock run... pretty hard to see it.  The torque does flatten out for 1000 rpm's.. elapsed time maybe 1 second?..  With my wife and I on the bike (est. 400lb.) and a loaded trailer,  I can't say I've noticed and decrease in performance.  Loaded,  I feel that the bike performs pretty well all things considered.  Touring won't be a problem and I'm looking forward to many more miles to come!
'03 FLHRSEI2

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 09:30:43 PM »

I finally found a second dyno ... this was from a shootout this past summer.. no change on installed items, but a lot warmer in air temp ..    http://www.snarl-extra.com/dyno3.jpg....
'03 FLHRSEI2

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 07:25:30 PM »

Well, Finally went and did it. Got my Reinharts in and after some discussion with the HD tech at Barnett HD here in El Paso that was going to do the work on my bike, we both decided a 258 cam would be in order. He was well aware of what effect the Reinharts have on the mid range and thought that this cam/pipe combo would make me happy. Well, after riding it for the first time this morning and opening it up just a bit all I really have to say is ......D A M N !!!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]. I got a chance to go into the Dyno room with him while he was making his runs and without making any changes to the stock race tuner settings it peaked at 99.5 hp with 104.5 TQ.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 07:27:17 PM by gb »

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2004, 04:54:08 PM »

As promised, Here are the dyno results! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

W.C.mach

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 05:16:20 PM »

This is a shot of my SERK with the D&D fat cat system. I like it alot. My 75 year old dad has Reinharts on his SERK. both bikes feel about the same.
W.C.Machine, Precision CNC machining.
Plymouth,MA 508 747 4556

starvin

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 06:47:09 PM »

This is a shot of my SERK with the D&D fat cat system. I like it alot. My 75 year old dad has Reinharts on his SERK. both bikes feel about the same.

those are some nice looking pipes. and I hope you took that picture a while ago, I've seen enough of that white sh$t for awhile. Thats cool if your dad is 75 and still rides I hope I'll be able to do that someday.
P.S. welcome to the board.

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2004, 03:31:17 PM »

THey look nice, but what's that white stuff all around the bike. The ony thing like that down here is white sands. [smiley=6.gif]

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2004, 08:37:56 PM »

Looks like you might have to de-ice that SERK b4 you take off with all the snow around it.   [smiley=2vrolijk_29.gif]
'03 FLHRSEI2

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2004, 08:52:21 PM »

what style/make is that front fender.  How did you get/match the paint??
stock for now

BIKER77

• HARLEYS FOREVER
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2004, 09:40:27 AM »

Looks like a fatboy front fender, and I would like to know who painted it also.

W.C.mach

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2004, 06:02:01 PM »

Yes its a fat boy fender with the special mounts that harley makes. A friend who owns a body shop painted it for me. the cost is about $600.00. I will ask him if he wants to do more and if so I will post his shop phone.

it came out just like the stock paint. He even used PPG the same as factory. Warren
W.C.Machine, Precision CNC machining.
Plymouth,MA 508 747 4556

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2004, 08:09:22 PM »

Hey serk103 and biker77,
Look at my pics in the 'Pictures' section. I also had a local custom painter paint the batwing; lowers; and trunk to match. Each piece came off of a different bike. they were all parts I bought on eBay. I think any good custom paint shop can match these colors. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cv_pics;action=display;num=1080319865
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 08:12:08 PM by gb »

BIKER77

• HARLEYS FOREVER
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 09:32:10 AM »

Hey gb, where did you get the batwing? I know dragonfly makes one, but I would have to relocate my tach. The one you have looks like the tach is in the same place.

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 10:24:11 AM »

Also bought it off of eBay. It's a Kenny day fairing. It's also great because it's quick release. It uses the same mounting hardware that the stock roadking shield uses. Now all I have to do is decide which shield (if any) i want to use [smiley=nixweiss.gif]. It's pretty cool since I kinda get to switch between shields whenever I feel like it. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].
Here's the link to their home page.
http://www.kendayproducts.com/

say001

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2004, 09:49:52 PM »

hope i do this right. tell me more about the sound. i am thinking about rinehart vs. vance&hines or bassani. would not like to loose hp but dyno numbers dont mean much to a newbie like me any suggestions from anyone.want it to sound like a harley, but not tooo loud, stock not much sound.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 09:59:39 PM by say001 »

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2004, 09:14:23 PM »

How ya doin Say001? Welcome to the web site. Great site isn't it? Anyway, to help answer some of your questions, if you're looking for the harley sound and not too concerned abot being the fastest thing out there, you can go with some screaming eagle slip-ons; an SE aircleaner; and a download (this is basically a stage I upgrade). This should be about where you want to be. Not too loud and not too quiet. These are already great bikes without doing too much to the engine. I think the Reinharts or V&H's may be a little to loud for some people (me included! [smiley=7.gif]). Hope this helps [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.