Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Need directions or pictures with instructions for passing lamp implacement  (Read 18992 times)

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
Re: Need directions or pictures with instructions for passing lamp implacement
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »

John,
Looks good to me I looked in my catalog and found the same numbers. pg. 501 letter E.

Good luck :cucumber:
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
Re: Need directions or pictures with instructions for passing lamp implacement
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »

Popper,

I pulled the turn signal wires out of the handlebars when I put on the driving lights/turnsignals. You have to cut a zip tie on each side where the wires exit the handle bars at the risers. There may be a similar zip tie on each side up inside the switch housings, but it's been awhile so I don't remember for sure on that one. If the wires don't want to come out you can use a little silicone spray to make them slide easier, but mine were in a plastic covering that came out fairly easily. After pulling the wires I found some plastic plugs at the hardware store to block the empty holes in the switch housings. Once the wires are out you will probably want to replace the zip ties that had to be cut for the wire removal too.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to put the wires back into the handle bars if necessary. The only reason I mention that is because of the speakers that look like the turnsignals. Or maybe they fit into the turnsignal housings, I'm not sure which. Anyway I was thinking those might be nice if you had a stereo, or GPS, or radar detector -and wanted to be able to hear things.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!  ;D

BB  :)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4

Bikerboy:
Leaving the wires isn't a bad idea now that you mention about future speakers or accessories. I will have to look at hiding as much wire in the controls as I can for future splicing. The problem with winter is too much thinking and not enough riding.
Keep your knees to the breeze

popper

• Junior CVO Member

Just finished installing the passing lamps. Everything went well once I collected all the parts. I ended up leaving the wires in the bars just in case i need them for something. I ran my wires through two small holes I drilled on the nacelle. I located them just forward the windshield bracket so they won't interfere with the removal of the windshield. The holes recieved grommets so the wires wouldn't get dammaged. It ended up looking better than I thought it would. Then the weather finally cooperated and the roads dried up enough for my first ride. There is still alot of sand on the roads here so I had to be real carefull. But it was great to finally get a ride in. Thanks everyone for the contributions to this site, it helped me out alot. several ideas and recomendations were given that made me think of things I otherwise might not have. I'm real happy with the final results and saved not having to pay a dealer for the labor. Saved enough to pay for another project now. Thanks again and keep your knees to the breeze.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member

Nice job! This mod looks like the bike should have been built that way.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5

Looking good!  :)   I think part of the fun of having a bike is adding things like this!  ;D  ;D

I've got some brighter bulbs in my passing lamps too if you're interested...  8) They draw more power, and will "fog" the inside of the lenses faster than the stockers, but at night they put out way more light than the headlight!

BB  8)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

The bike looks really good. Drilling the holes good idea. I will have to look at the hardware for the windshield and see what I can do. Damn, that means I will have to take it all apart again. Oh well!

SPIDERMAN

Looking good!  :)   I think part of the fun of having a bike is adding things like this!  ;D  ;D

I've got some brighter bulbs in my passing lamps too if you're interested...  8) They draw more power, and will "fog" the inside of the lenses faster than the stockers, but at night they put out way more light than the headlight!

BB   8)

What's up with this ?  Somebody stealing my signoff

B B

popper

• Junior CVO Member

The bike looks really good. Drilling the holes good idea. I will have to look at the hardware for the windshield and see what I can do. Damn, that means I will have to take it all apart again. Oh well!

I did alot of thinking about the holes. I wanted the wires to be as inconspicuously as possible. I looked at how the factory did it on other bikes and didn't like it. The wires just ran around the front of the fork tubes. I put masking tape on the nacelle and removed the windshield noting how far forward the brackets would swing to clear the grommets that hold it on. I marked the bracket on the tape and did the drilling so the wires would clear the bracket swing. It worked out pretty good for me. There is a rubber spacer around the fork tube inside, I made sure I was above that with my hole. I wonder if HD would pay for some of the engineering we do.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"

the idea of drilling a hole for the wires sounds good but......... if both sides go into the same 6 pin plug how dificult have you made it to remove the nacelle?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

Oh, that is a very good question....... The plot thickens

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

What's up with this ?  Somebody stealing my signoff

B B

They're different. There's no space between the B's. ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"

Oh, that is a very good question....... The plot thickens

as long as you plan ahead it not an issue, cut out the factory 6pin and put a 4pin deutche for each side L/R make the hole big enough for a rubber grommet that can accomodate sliding the deutch pins through
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

popper

• Junior CVO Member

the six pin plug is no problem. There are actually four wires coming in from each side, three for turn signals and one for the passing lamp. The turn signal plug on the main harness is split with three on top and three on the bottom for left and right respectively. Each turn signal side is in a separate plastic sleeve. I will have to remove the terminals from the plug housing which is not a big deal and feed the wires back out through the grommets (reverse of what I did to get them in). That leaves the main harness pretty much stock. I did attach the pins to the wires after the wires were pulled through the grommets so I may either have to pull the grommet out with the wires or cut the terminals and replace them when reinstalled. Taking the nacelle off would be for what reason other than a full disassembly of the front end or maybe for front end alignment. I haven't looked into that procedure yet. For me, the issue of removing the six pins from the plug for disassembly of the nacelle is worth it for the cleaner appearance of the front end. I'll have to see if there becomes a problem down the road with doing this but for now I will enjoy it.

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

I have to admit it does look good. I had to replace the 6 pin and just spliced the wires together. The drilling will be done this summer. Have more time w/ the bike outside, weather, and vacation.  What size grommet did you use? I plan to get bolt covers for the rear shock. rubbing the leather bags as well. Unfortunately, can't find any at the depot, lowes, or any where else. I need a windshield first. Clear view has one fitting the same hardware so money is going there next. While redoing the lamp wires....

Getting off track, bike looks good and congrates.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.