Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR2 CVO side covers  (Read 3166 times)

RedFXR2

FXR2 CVO side covers
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »

First, hello to Tim (FXR2evo99).  Good to see  you here again.

I did this about the end of last year but got inspired to put something here by Tim's great clinic on handlebar change.  If there were more curves down here, I might think about doing that, myself. ;D

I got some FXR side covers from ebay and after a bit of trial and error in cooperation with a local custom painter, I ended up with my interpretation of FXR2 CVO side covers. The idea was to match the presentation of the graphics on the tank, which was a challenge becuase of the way the tank script seems to appear clearly at one angle and almost disappear at another.  It's hard to photograph clearly at any angle.  Anyway, we went from all paint to finally having a decal made and burying it under a bunch of clear coat.  I'm pleased with the results.  Here's the tank script--like I said, it's hard to get it to show up:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:01:20 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

Re: FXR2 CVO side covers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »

And here's the side cover.  It turned out to be hard to get a distinct photo of, itself, which is how I knew I had gotten real close if not exact:

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »

Another from a slightly different angle:

I still don't fully understand what happens here.  All I know is that the tank script and now the side cover lettering is crisp and clear when viewed at one angle, then fades and almost disappears if you take a step to the side, then clears up again if you take another step in the same direction.  Like I said, the painter and I went at this several times, using test panels and such.  These are without a doubt the most expensive FXR side covers known to man ::) ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:02:21 PM by RedFXR2 »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »

Red

That's looking very nice.
Good job by your painter.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »

Michael....

Thanks for mentioning me!

This looks awesome.....what a grand idea....something unique and different....and you are right the "ghost" hologram appearance / essence of the "Harley Davidson" is quite tough to duplicate in photos but in turn that is what makes it so very interesting.  I might add it's also quite interesting in person for those that are not aware as the "Harley Davidson" simply disappears depending on the way the sun hits the tank, while at other times it's very distinct.  Would really enjoy seeing in person....

You should also post under a different thread title and tell us all about your chrome front wheel with chromed hub and spokes that you put on your FXR2, I would enjoy seeing some photos...although I realize that it will be difficult to see the "chrome" aspect per say...but learning about part numbers and so forth is always interesting and whether you put sealed or unsealed bearings in etc.....and I am trying to remember if you did this in a 21" or 19" application?????

Regards,

Tim
"FXR2evo99"

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:35:08 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »

Here's one more side cover shot.  Kinda shows the "ghost" effect.  But it's not really 'ghost", it's more like......well, ....hard for me to photograph!!! 

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »

You should also post under a different thread title and tell us all about your chrome front wheel with chromed hub and spokes that you put on your FXR2, I would enjoy seeing some photos...although I realize that it will be difficult to see the "chrome" aspect per say...but learning about part numbers and so forth is always interesting and whether you put sealed or unsealed bearings in etc.....and I am trying to remember if you did this in a 21" or 19" application?????

Regards,

Tim
"FXR2evo99"

I don't know--you've set the bar pretty high for instructional posts.

It's the stock HD FXLR hub that I bought new, had chromed and laced with  stainless spokes from Landmark to a new, stock HD 21" chrome rim.  If I have any photos that are worthy, maybe I'll make a new thread.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »

Oooh, I like that A LOT.  Looks like it always should've been there.  But when you know it wasn't it's just great.  Really really nice idea very nicely deployed. :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 01:08:02 PM »

Looks like it always should've been there.  But when you know it wasn't it's just great.  Really really nice idea very nicely deployed. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Don.  That "always should have been there" thing is the theme I've used for nearly everything I've done to this bike.

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 05:26:33 PM »

Good job by your painter.

Yes.  This was a small looking job that turned out to be a trick and the painter stuck with it with patience and professionalism.  To give credit where credit is due:

http://www.dangerouscurves.biz/

The owner, Mark Smith did this work.

I have to add--if you go to his website, you'll see a bunch of babe models.  No, they aren't lolling around the shop, although they do make appearances at local bike events and the shop's open house.  Mark does a lot of charity work in the area and is a super nice guy and family man.  Not what one might expect.  I asked him about the women and he just smiled and shrugged and said something about appealing to the target market.

Put it this way--as many times as I was going up there, I was always glad my wife never saw his website. ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »

Yes.  This was a small looking job that turned out to be a trick and the painter stuck with it with patience and professionalism.  To give credit where credit is due:

http://www.dangerouscurves.biz/

The owner, Mark Smith did this work.

I have to add--if you go to his website, you'll see a bunch of babe models.  No, they aren't lolling around the shop, although they do make appearances at local bike events and the shop's open house.  Mark does a lot of charity work in the area and is a super nice guy and family man.  Not what one might expect.  I asked him about the women and he just smiled and shrugged and said something about appealing to the target market.

Put it this way--as many times as I was going up there, I was always glad my wife never saw his website. ;)

Why the hell not? Just look at his Biz name! And after all, he's in the eye candy business! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.