Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR2/3/4 Highway Bar Photo's  (Read 1622 times)

elvislee

FXR2/3/4 Highway Bar Photo's
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:17:23 PM »

Anyone have any pics of their 2/3/ or 4 with highway bars mounted or photo(s) of other with the bars. Finally after two years I decided to order a set today for my 4 and I want to look as to how adding the bar might affect adding Fwd Controls later with the bar. Any help appreciated...BTW...RedFXR2, have you or anyone heard anything from or about to where killjoy is? I always enjoyed talking with him but haven't seen any posts from him since I got back on the board after my year away...Thanks.

RedFXR2

Re: FXR2/3/4 Highway Bar Photo's
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:41:45 PM »

I guess I'm surprised--you don't already have highway pegs?  Maybe they were removed ?

That is I presume you're talking about highway foot pegs, and not crash bars.  Crash bars would definitely use the highway peg mounts on the frame.  Not sure if you could also mount forward controls or not.

Anyway, here's a recent photo of my bike that shows the highway pegs somewhat.  I'll see if I can get out to the garage in the next day or so and take some of them specifically.  I have a feeling that forwards for your bike will use the same mounts that the highway pegs use, but I could be wrong.

Who knows what became of Killoy.  I miss him too,  and he was just over in Tampa--I kept hoping we could arrange a meetup somewhere in the middle... at an event maybe.  Maybe he's still lurking and will see this and say "hello".  You out there, KJ?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:22:29 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:16:50 PM »

Here's a photo of a '94 FXLR with forward controls.  Might help some:

[Side note to Tim:  Look at that chrome hub--he stole my idea!] ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:19:14 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:17:30 PM »

Here's the left side:

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »

Yes, the crash (highway) bars, or engine guards as some call them, use the same mount points on the frame as is used for the forward controls that I've seen on FXR's.  Maybe there is a model of bars that doesn't but who knows.  I would think that there would be a problem trying to mount both controls and highway bars on the same frame bracket, but you may be able to sandwich the plate on the bars under the plate for the controls.  Maybe.

Here's a FXRS with engine guards (highway bars).  Shows how it uses the same frame mount as used for our highway pegs.  As you can see, it has foot pegs attached but they're pretty high up.  A bit too high IMO, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:05:33 AM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »

Here's the Jardine bar.  I don't understand why it appears to only mount down low on one side, but on that side, it uses the same frame mount as our footpegs.

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »

And for example, here's a set of forward controls for FXR's by Jaybrake.  The right side has the master cylinder mounted in such a way as to quite possible interfere with the intersection of the bar tubing with their plate mount.  Put another way, If the bars were underneath this, the round stock of the bar at the mount may not fit behind the master cylinder.  This is just one model of forward controls, but I would think that they're pretty similar in this regard.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 19 queries.