Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mt. Charleston  (Read 1657 times)

lvrider

Mt. Charleston
« on: July 03, 2005, 02:12:18 PM »

If you’re ever in Vegas and want to do something other than gambling and shows, take a short trip to Mt. Chaleston.  That’s exactly what my brother-in-law and I did this morning.  With temperatures averaging 105 + degrees the past 2 weeks, the ride to the mountains was a great way to escape the heat and enjoy the cool mountain temperatures and scenic ride.

Mountain ranges surround Las Vegas like a string of pearls.  The largest pearl, Mt. Charleston, towers to an altitude of 11,918 feet and is the highest mountain south to Mexico.  Located just 35 miles northwest of Las Vegas, juniper, mountain mahogany, aspen, and ponderosa pine fill the mountain landscape.  Mt. Charleston is also home to the world’s largest Brislecone Pine forest.

When we got to the lodge at the top, we discovered that other riders had the same idea as us for the parking lot looked like a mini-rally.

Here’s a pic that I took.  Can you tell which one is the SEEG?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Mt. Charleston
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 02:20:33 PM »

If you’re ever in Vegas and want to do something other than gambling and shows, take a short trip to Mt. Chaleston.  That’s exactly what my brother-in-law and I did this morning.  With temperatures averaging 105 + degrees the past 2 weeks, the ride to the mountains was a great way to escape the heat and enjoy the cool mountain temperatures and scenic ride.

Mountain ranges surround Las Vegas like a string of pearls.  The largest pearl, Mt. Charleston, towers to an altitude of 11,918 feet and is the highest mountain south to Mexico.  Located just 35 miles northwest of Las Vegas, juniper, mountain mahogany, aspen, and ponderosa pine fill the mountain landscape.  Mt. Charleston is also home to the world’s largest Brislecone Pine forest.

When we got to the lodge at the top, we discovered that other riders had the same idea as us for the parking lot looked like a mini-rally.

Here’s a pic that I took.  Can you tell which one is the SEEG?

Nice pic.  In a like note, though it doesn't get you out of  the heat, the trip to and through Red Rock is also worth doing and is quick from Vegas.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 02:22:25 PM by twolanerider »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 03:46:14 PM »

lvrider....is the breakfast still great at the lodge?  I used to use Mt Charleston as my sanity saver when I ran security for one of the majors out there.  When enough just got to be enough, it was "up the hill" on the ol' scoot.

lvrider

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 04:23:06 PM »

BLM:  Yes, breakfast is still pretty good and the price is not too bad.  2 eggs over easy with 3 sausages, hash browns, and toast for only $8.00.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.