Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tour-Pak Backrest - Quality Assurance  (Read 2090 times)

Shadow

• Harleys Rule!
Tour-Pak Backrest - Quality Assurance
« on: February 13, 2004, 11:12:59 AM »

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the problems that I have had with the $200 back rest that attaches to the Chopper Tour-Pak option.  I have had the HD shop here in New Orleans order 5 back rests, call the Quality Dept. in Michigan, etc. and I finally had to settle for the last one they received.  Apparently the tour-pak and back rest are made by a 3rd party, and they nor HD have good quality assurance on this pricey option.  The studs on the backrest have consistently been embedded at different heights, misaligned, and damaged.  I am not impressed with the QA on the tour-pak backrest.  Others be warned if you are considering buying the chopped tour-pak.

The dealer was embarassed by the whole incident, and was stuck in the middle.  They were told by HD that there was a QA problem and it had been resolved.  The backrests recieved from this after this statement were no better.  They were also told that the backrests were within their QA standards.  I am dissappointed by the lack of stricter standards by a company that charges so much for their options.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.  For the most part I have no other complaints about my FLHRSEI2.
'03 FLHRSEI2
Hooker Slip-ons
SE EFI Chip Upgrade
SE High Flow Air Kit
Kuryakyn Switchblade Highway Footpegs
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offsets
Passenger Chrome Footboards
Chopped Tour-Pak w/ Quick R

scre103

Re: Tour-Pak Backrest - Quality Assurance
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 09:27:34 AM »

i have the exact same problem with the chopped tour pack pad. one of the studs is crooked and sticks way out. i also addressed this problem with the dealer and they said the seat was within cosmetic standards and they would not replace it.

i'm also waiting for a replacement on the chopped pack lid which has a color mismatch problem. the first replacement that came in was no better and also had a popped air bubble in the finish. the bag lids were replaced and are fine.

the bags and tour packs are no longer being made with the grey plastic. thay are all black inside. the dealer said they were changing to the new material because of "cracking issues". the replacement lids for the copped pack and side bags came in black. my problems with my flhrsei2 may not be over yet and i did not get the 1700 extended warranty!!! :-/
03 flhrsei2
01 motoguzzi v11 sport rosso mandello
87 honda elite 150 scooter(for the kids)
se high flow air kit
kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs
se efi chip
se performance mufflers
chopped tour pack
standard clea

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Re: Tour-Pak Backrest - Quality Assurance
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 11:45:16 AM »

Hi Shadow, As a quality assurance engineer for an automotive supplier, I have some experience with customer complaints.  If you can get the name of the supplier, call them directly and talk to the Quality Manager or General Manager.  They should be sensitive to complaints coming directly from the end user.  You can also threaten to call the H-D Supplier Quality Assurance engineer (to make their life miserable).  I'm not sure how you would get this name, but you could bluff anyway.

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.