Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Flush Mount LED Gas Gauge & Cap For CVO FXR's!  (Read 12258 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Flush Mount LED Gas Gauge & Cap For CVO FXR's!
« on: December 23, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »

I didn't see anything on this, or anyone asking. So I'll bring it up. Anything out there to convert the ugly stock gas gauge and gas cap, with flush mounted ones. HD Catalog says theirs doesn't work with a '99, by P/N description. Why won't it work? FI only? Needs an ECM? Are there any other solutions to flush-mounting a gas gauge and cap? Such a pretty tank. Shouldn't be cluttered up with those 2 huge chrome bulges on top of it! Thanks gang! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Flush Mount LED Gas Gauge & Cap For CVO FXR's!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »

I've changed fuel gauges to the multi LED type on my 2000 Deuce and 2004 RK.  The wiring is simple.  The only time I had to do anything different was to add a wire to let the low fuel LED on the gas gauge work instead of the LED in the speedo assembly.  On the FXRs, this is just the same as the carb Deuce I had.  I'll check the wiring diagram in the 1999 manual.  I checked the 2000 and its OK.  They are identical.  No problem. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:57:28 PM »

Like's my gas gauge and gas cap....I unscrew it and put gas in, I screw it tight afterwards......and I keep an eye on the gauge as well.....but I use my trip odometer to keep me more aware..........   :nixweiss:

:cucumber: 

Howie Howie Howie.......lol.......I have to see how your going to modify this WITHOUT messin with your tank ie: paint....lol.....  :2vrolijk_21:

:drink: :vrolijk_11: :santa3:

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »

:worthless:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »

Like's my gas gauge and gas cap....I unscrew it and put gas in, I screw it tight afterwards......and I keep an eye on the gauge as well.....but I use my trip odometer to keep me more aware..........   :nixweiss:

:cucumber: 

Howie Howie Howie.......lol.......I have to see how your going to modify this WITHOUT messin with your tank ie: paint....lol.....  :2vrolijk_21:

:drink: :vrolijk_11: :santa3:

Regards,

Tim

OK Phil, let's show Tim how it's done!!! ??? ;D

Very intersted in the mods you did to the Deuce for this Phil. No reason we can't use the HD flush mount LED gauge with these bikes! Cap's a no brainer! Plenty of them to choose from. But it's gotta match the gauge. HD's set is nice. Blue LED's of course!!! What do ya got for us Phil! We'll get Tim into the 90's before ya know it!!! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:41:18 PM »

OK Phil, let's show Tim how it's done!!! ??? ;D

Very intersted in the mods you did to the Deuce for this Phil. No reason we can't use the HD flush mount LED gauge with these bikes! Cap's a no brainer! Plenty of them to choose from. But it's gotta match the gauge. HD's set is nice. Blue LED's of course!!! What do ya got for us Phil! We'll get Tim into the 90's before ya know it!!! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

The two I did were before the flush mount type we have on the 07's.  You need to unplug the small harness that runs down the tube from the gauge and push the pins out of the connector.  Then you remove the gauge.  Install the harness from the nerw gauge down the tube, helps to tape the ends together staggered to make it thinner.  Then you put the wires into the correct location in the connector and done.  These new gauges have that spring loaded retainer, but we got that covered in the 07 manual.  Howie, remember when someone popped Cybil's gauge out in Neal's garage last year?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »

The two I did were before the flush mount type we have on the 07's.  You need to unplug the small harness that runs down the tube from the gauge and push the pins out of the connector.  Then you remove the gauge.  Install the harness from the nerw gauge down the tube, helps to tape the ends together staggered to make it thinner.  Then you put the wires into the correct location in the connector and done.  These new gauges have that spring loaded retainer, but we got that covered in the 07 manual.  Howie, remember when someone popped Cybil's gauge out in Neal's garage last year?

HeHe!!! Yep! And remember who put it back together? ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 02:13:02 AM »

:worthless:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:39:14 AM »

OK, so what's the real deal here. You've added LED gauges to a carb bike. What Gauge?

What about HD P/N 62910-06 Chrome Flush Mount Fuel Cap and Gauge Kit, Fits '04-later FXDL, FXDB, FXD.....Dynas, List $198.95. You think we can get these to work on our bikes? What'll we have to do? Same as you stated above. Anyone have any installation instructions/wiring diagrams of this kit or at least the gas gauge. That's what I'd like to use. Can it be done? Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768318&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302288375&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302288375&bmUID=1230133071439&bmLocale=en_US

Hoist! 8)

nightship9138

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 11:20:49 PM »

i changed mine on 99 fxr2 several years ago.used ones from kuryakyn,easy swap

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 11:35:54 PM »

Not trying to hijack a thread here but I did start a thread similar a few months ago and no response. I am assuming my question is nearly identical. I want to put the flame collection LED fuel gauge (photo and part number below) on my 01 wide glide. Similar technology to the flush mount LED I would assume. Says it won't work in the catalog but I can't get anyone to tell me if it could be moded to fit. I am assuming it is a wiring difference. Anyone out there know for sure.

75311-08

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »

Not trying to hijack a thread here but I did start a thread similar a few months ago and no response. I am assuming my question is nearly identical. I want to put the flame collection LED fuel gauge (photo and part number below) on my 01 wide glide. Similar technology to the flush mount LED I would assume. Says it won't work in the catalog but I can't get anyone to tell me if it could be moded to fit. I am assuming it is a wiring difference. Anyone out there know for sure.

75311-08

Good question. I like that one too and it would also look real nice on a Blue3. Matching gas cap I assume? Well, what's the deal? Anyone know how to get these to work on our FXR's? Anyone?? Thanks! :confused5: :nixweiss: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »

OK, so what's the real deal here. You've added LED gauges to a carb bike. What Gauge?

What about HD P/N 62910-06 Chrome Flush Mount Fuel Cap and Gauge Kit, Fits '04-later FXDL, FXDB, FXD.....Dynas, List $198.95. You think we can get these to work on our bikes? What'll we have to do? Same as you stated above. Anyone have any installation instructions/wiring diagrams of this kit or at least the gas gauge. That's what I'd like to use. Can it be done? Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768318&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302288375&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302288375&bmUID=1230133071439&bmLocale=en_US

Hoist! 8)

I installed the LED Fuel Gauge -Cross on an 04 FLHRCI, 75091-04, LED Fuel Gauge Smooth 75242-08 on my 2000 FXSTD.  The only difference I've seen is that on non FI bikes, the gauge lets you know when fuel is low vs. FI where the low fuel in the speedo gauge does this, and that's easy enough to correct.

Do you have the 07 Touring Service Manual, it covers the R&R of the fuel gauges.  The bare fuel tank part number is an -03.

As far as physically fitting>
If the fuel gauge is in our tank already, than I'm 99% sure the non flush gauges will work fine.  The flush gauge installation is different, but I'm still 85% sure it will mount.  As far as the wiring, I am 100% I can make them work. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »

I installed the LED Fuel Gauge -Cross on an 04 FLHRCI, 75091-04, LED Fuel Gauge Smooth 75242-08 on my 2000 FXSTD.  The only difference I've seen is that on non FI bikes, the gauge lets you know when fuel is low vs. FI where the low fuel in the speedo gauge does this, and that's easy enough to correct.

Do you have the 07 Touring Service Manual, it covers the R&R of the fuel gauges.  The bare fuel tank part number is an -03.

As far as physically fitting>
If the fuel gauge is in our tank already, than I'm 99% sure the non flush gauges will work fine.  The flush gauge installation is different, but I'm still 85% sure it will mount.  As far as the wiring, I am 100% I can make them work. 

I'm pretty sure it will physically fit too. I have the '07 manuals. Can you come up with the wiring changes Phil? I'll be the Guinea Pig. ;)

Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »

Now it sounds like we're getting somewhere! Already purchased the flames gas cap - having the flames golded (big surprise).

They make two models of the Flames fuel guage. One says:

"Fits '04-'08 FXDB, FXDL, FXD35, FXDWG and FXDF models, '07-'08 FXDC models, '04-'07 Softail® models, '01-'03 EFI Softail® models (except FXSTDI), '03-'07 Road King® and '01-'02 EFI Road King® models."

The other says:

Fits '08-later Softail®, Road King® and '09 Dyna® models (except FXD).

Neither will fit a 2001 FXDWG2.

Skreminegul - would one be easier to mod than the other? Based on your description of the EFI and Non-EFI functionality, it appears that may be the case but - and I'll show my ignorance here - weren't all HD models after '04 fuel injected? If that's the case, it must be some other sort of difference in the two part numbers.

Looking for advice on which one to buy to begin th emod process???
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.