Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Flush Mount LED Gas Gauge & Cap For CVO FXR's!  (Read 12255 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Flush Mount LED Gas Gauge & Cap For CVO FXR's!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »

ok, clearly I must be missing something here......

I don't see how ANY 'FLUSH MOUNT' gauge and cap will fit on CERTAIN FXR's...... The FXR4 has a LIP on the gas tank, and on the gauge side also.  So there is no way to have a 'FLUSH MOUNT'  unless one was to modify the tank.

I haven't looked at the wiring, but it would SEEM that it should not be impossible to figure out how to wire in a led gauge ..... what about some 'other' brands other than HD..... might have a lager selection, or choices of something that could easily be made to work ...... but again, on the 4, it won't be a flush mount
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »

ok, clearly I must be missing something here......

I don't see how ANY 'FLUSH MOUNT' gauge and cap will fit on CERTAIN FXR's...... The FXR4 has a LIP on the gas tank, and on the gauge side also.  So there is no way to have a 'FLUSH MOUNT'  unless one was to modify the tank.

I haven't looked at the wiring, but it would SEEM that it should not be impossible to figure out how to wire in a led gauge ..... what about some 'other' brands other than HD..... might have a lager selection, or choices of something that could easily be made to work ...... but again, on the 4, it won't be a flush mount

Here are Flush Mounted Gas Caps on my '85 FXWG standard Fat Bob Gas Tanks.They make them to utilize the standard tank openings. The wiring is more the issue. While they may not be perfectly flush, they're "feathered" into the tank for a clean flush appearance. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 07:37:13 PM »

Hoist - are those HD flush mounts or third party?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 07:42:53 PM »

Hoist - are those HD flush mounts or third party?

Aftermarket mb. Screw in. 1 LH and 1 RH thread for Fat Bob Tanks. I have a single RH thread one on my ProStreet which has an FXLR tank on it. Since the HD Flush Mount Kit replaces standard cap/gauge assemblies on Dyna, RK's and Softails, there's no reason it shouldn't mount on the FXR or SE Dyna tanks. How to modify the existing wiring, for the wiring of the new gauge, should be the only modification. I could be wrong, but I don't see why not. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »

I keep thinking it's only the wiring as well. May lose the functionality of the blinking red light when tank is nearly empty or something but someone out there with some electrical smarts (that leaves me out) should be able to figure this one out.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 07:49:31 PM »

I keep thinking it's only the wiring as well. May lose the functionality of the blinking red light when tank is nearly empty or something but someone out there with some electrical smarts (that leaves me out) should be able to figure this one out.

You'll lose it but you won't need it. Carb bikes don't need it. The petcock has reserve. They don't have fuel warning lights with petcock bikes normally anyway. No worse than you are now. If you have an FI bike, then you should be able to retain the functionality somehow in the rewiring I imagine. ;)

Hoist! 8)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 09:40:48 PM »

Now it sounds like we're getting somewhere! Already purchased the flames gas cap - having the flames golded (big surprise).

They make two models of the Flames fuel guage. One says:

"Fits '04-'08 FXDB, FXDL, FXD35, FXDWG and FXDF models, '07-'08 FXDC models, '04-'07 Softail® models, '01-'03 EFI Softail® models (except FXSTDI), '03-'07 Road King® and '01-'02 EFI Road King® models."

The other says:

Fits '08-later Softail®, Road King® and '09 Dyna® models (except FXD).

Neither will fit a 2001 FXDWG2.

Skreminegul - would one be easier to mod than the other? Based on your description of the EFI and Non-EFI functionality, it appears that may be the case but - and I'll show my ignorance here - weren't all HD models after '04 fuel injected? If that's the case, it must be some other sort of difference in the two part numbers.

Looking for advice on which one to buy to begin th emod process???

Not until 2007
Any day on the bike is a good day.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »

Here are Flush Mounted Gas Caps on my '85 FXWG standard Fat Bob Gas Tanks.They make them to utilize the standard tank openings. The wiring is more the issue. While they may not be perfectly flush, they're "feathered" into the tank for a clean flush appearance. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I see, interesting, Thanks for posting up the pic !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »

You'll lose it but you won't need it. Carb bikes don't need it. The petcock has reserve. They don't have fuel warning lights with petcock bikes normally anyway. No worse than you are now. If you have an FI bike, then you should be able to retain the functionality somehow in the rewiring I imagine. ;)

Hoist! 8)

That's the difference.  The other LED gauges I installed have a low warning feature built into them,  I do not believe these flush mounts do.  That's where you need to make a wire change.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 09:27:37 PM »

That's the difference.  The other LED gauges I installed have a low warning feature built into them,  I do not believe these flush mounts do.  That's where you need to make a wire change.

The Flush Mount LED has a "Gas Pump" light that coes on for low warning. You just wouldn't need that. Now Phil, WHAT WIRING CHANGES? Does ANYONE KNOW? WILL THESE WORK ON THE FXR3? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 09:43:23 PM »

Does ANYONE KNOW? WILL THESE WORK ON THE FXR3? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

I am here to help you pal.  They might.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »

Then again; they might not :nixweiss: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »

Crap, wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »

Will try soooooo much harder next time.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »

Thanks Don, that's everything we needed to know about mounting a Flush Mounted LED Fuel Gauge on an FXR3......................

EXCEPT, WILL IT WORK AND WHAT WIRING CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE?? :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.