Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: FXR3 and FXR4 seats  (Read 10637 times)

RedFXR2

FXR3 and FXR4 seats
« on: February 26, 2004, 09:28:45 PM »

Does anyone that has one of these bikes know the HD part number for the factory seat?  HD's own site lists the seats for these as being the same Badlander found on my FXR2 but every photo of a 3 or 4 I've seen clearly shows a different, more thickly padded seat.  Thanks for any help.

KSims1868

• Pearl FXR3 - lovin it!
Don't know - but I got one to sell
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 02:04:57 PM »

I have my original seat from my FXR3.  It is thicker padding than the FXR2 seat.  I just went with a Corbin seat.  If you're interested...email me.  I'll sell it.

Kent Sims
ksims@rsafamily.com
Life's a garden...dig it!

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: FXR3 and FXR4 seats
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 08:51:22 PM »

Hey Kent...what model Corbin is that? How wide is the passenger seat?

KSims1868

• Pearl FXR3 - lovin it!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 03:31:30 PM »

It is the "Gunfighter & Lady" model, and it has some custom stitching on the side from Corbin.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 03:33:49 PM by KSims1868 »
Life's a garden...dig it!

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 09:19:18 PM »

To answer my own question in case anyone else out there ever wants to know:

Seat for 1999 FXR3:  HD number 52449-99,  HD retail $285
Seat for 2000 FXR4:  HD number 52450-99,  HD retail $269.95

Finally found a dealer that had the right knowledge/books and how to look things up.

jimbro612000

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 11:24:43 AM »

Hey did the fxr3 and 4 have the same seat.. I have a 2 just got it in Oct. but would like to get a little thicker one on there..I was wandering if HD offers any other seat for our bikes

jimbro612000

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 11:28:47 AM »

Hey, KSims1868  you still have that seat ?

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 04:13:54 PM »

Hey did the fxr3 and 4 have the same seat.. I have a 2 just got it in Oct. but would like to get a little thicker one on there..I was wandering if HD offers any other seat for our bikes

Hey, Jimbro.  The seats for the FXR3 and FXR4 are slightly different.   Both considerably more padded than the HD Badlander that came on the FXR2.

The FXR3 seat is made to look like two pieces-a solo and a pillion, but it's really one-piece.  The FXR4 seat looks more one-piece, with a sewn in strip resembling a grab strap.  Either would be a comfort advantage over the HD Badlander.  Like I said, I found a pristine FXR3 seat on ebay for less than half the HD price, so that's on my bike now--much more comfortable and only a trained eye would ever notice the difference.

Don't know about other HD seats, except that if they still make any seats for the 1984-1994 FXR, without the hinge, it should fit.  There's always the aftermarket, such as Corbin, Mustang and LePera, to name 3.

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 03:32:49 PM »

I use to have a FXR2 like you have now. I have a Mustang seat that I purchased new for my FXR2. I took it off before I traded the bike in. It's in like new condition and I am looking to sell it. If the seat suits you taste it could be yours. It' a one peice two up and is plenty thick for both rider and passenger and is very confortable even on those all day rides. It has studs on it and looks something like the stock seat on a Heritage Classic. I can email you a price and pictures if your interested. ;) Sandy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 03:33:50 PM by Red_Hot_SE_Fat_Boy »
Sandy :)

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 06:02:49 PM »

GO ahead
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 06:03:59 PM by Red_Hot_SE_Fat_Boy »
Sandy :)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 07:17:50 AM »

OK, so I see the last activity on this thread is almost a year old, but I just stumbled across this forum so if anyone still looks at it...

Have any other 4 owners experienced cracking near the seams on your seat? I have always been extremely meticulous in caring for mine (my wife would say maniacal), yet is it cracking nonetheless. I have always used Meguiar
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »

Have any other 4 owners experienced cracking near the seams on your seat? I have always been extremely meticulous in caring for mine (my wife would say maniacal), yet is it cracking nonetheless. I have always used Meguiar

FXRon2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 02:51:29 AM »

Killjoy,

First, it's great to see some activity in our little corner of the CVO world. Thanks...

About the seat... I have a FXR2. And, like many others, I have purchased a FXR4 seat (I also have a FXR3 seat). I currently have the FXR4 set-up on my bike (w/ the matching short backrest). I have only used it for about 12-14 months. It shows no sign of wear at all. I recall you saying you had been using Meguiar's leather conditioner. Are these FXR2/3/4 seats leather? Or Vinyl? Perhaps that may be a factor? I only use Armor All (low gloss) on mine. It keeps it nice and black w/o being slick or slippery.

Ron
1999 FXR2
1999 FLHR
1996 FXSTSB (Bad Boy)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 01:35:02 PM »

you know... maybe that's a good point. I don't really know if it is "real" leather.

hmmmmm....

thx...

FXRon2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 12:35:07 AM »

Killjoy,

I just went and checked my FXR2 (badlander) and FXR3 seats (since they aren't on the bike). I looked on the underside of part of the unstapled material on the underside of the seat. There is a sort of cotton backing to the seat material. So, I believe that they are made out of "leather like" vinyl.

I also looked at the bottle of low gloss Armor-All that I've been using for years on stock Harley seats. It says that it is for use on vinyl...but, not for motorcycle seats.... It goes on to say the reason is saftey and slippery surfaces causing loss of control....yadda yadda yadda...  So, I will keep using it. It really gives the seat a nice natural look to it. It doesn't look like I just Armor-All'ed it. And even my Road King seat, with 65K miles on it, still looks great. Give it a try?

Ron
1999 FXR2
1999 FLHR
1996 FXSTSB (Bad Boy)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 10:13:36 AM »

I'll do it. Thanks for taking the time and I appreciate the "wisdom"... I'll pass it along as well.

RedFXR2

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 10:29:12 AM »

Both the FXR2-original Badlander and the FXR3 seat I currently use are covered with vinyl.

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 08:31:33 PM »

I'm looking for fxr4 stock seat, possibly exchange plus boot.  i have fxr4 bike that has badlander seat off fxr2..i think..just would prefer fxr4 stock seat instead. email me photo of yours..and i'll do same of mine.  i'd like to trade..but would buy outright also. I'm adding tangerine bike to my stable, in addition to yellow...and will only keep one..but will give it a month or so to decide which to keep..but lean towards tangerine, lot of used yellows out ..but few tangerine.  dave

hdfxr3@aol.com

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 07:22:26 PM »

Does anyone that has one of these bikes know the HD part number for the factory seat?
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

RedFXR2

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 08:48:31 PM »

1653951-001 is the number listed for the FXR4 seat.
$264.95 at bikebandit.com

Part numbers?  Going back to March and November of 2004 (talk about thread revival) :):

It might have been a rare stroke of luck but I surfed ebay for about two weeks and found my FXR3 seat in new condition for a steal.

RedFXR2

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 08:52:02 PM »

$215.96 from Surdyke.com.  Just checked.  However, sometimes they don't actually have what their system says they do.  Hope this helps.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »

Don't know about other HD seats, except that if they still make any seats for the 1984-1994 FXR, [highlight]without the hinge, it should fit[/highlight].

OK, so if I take off the seat on my FXR4, the frame has what appears to be hinge pin slots on the pipe-side like the old FXR's had. Has anyone ever tried to fit an old FXR seat with the hinge?

The old "flip-up" sure would be nice compared to having to take the seat off to get to oil tank, battery, etc.

RedFXR2

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 02:06:58 PM »

Has anyone ever tried to fit an old FXR seat with the hinge?

Got me on that one.  I've never seen a hinge-equipped seat on a FXR, so I don't know what hardware is mounted on the seat versus what we've got on or frames.  I suppose it would work, but I've never tried it.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 02:22:44 PM »

I guess I didn't pay attention to the latter FXR's cause I never saw one with a seat WITHOUT a hinge. When I was building FXR customs and restoring for folks, I used to pull apart the stock seats and take the seat pans to a custom seat shop and work with them to design custom seats. I always loved the hinge and latch set-up on FXRs. Seems like I remember most of the aftermarket seats available have the holes for the hinge and latch in the seat pan with pem nuts on the back side don't they ?Did you check or are you trying to find out before you buy ?  Call the supplier and ask.

Big B
        (former FXR afficionadao)

RedFXR2

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 02:35:26 PM »

I'm looking for fxr4 stock seat, possibly exchange plus boot.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 02:43:38 PM »

...neither of my stock seats, for FXR2 or 3 have any provisions for hinge mechanisms--they're tongue in the front and fender screw in the back.

Yeah, my stock 4 seat is the same.

I think I'll do a little snoopin' and see what's out there. I would forego my stock seat for a flip-up, whether it is new aftermarket, or actually from an older FXR.

I'll let you know what I find out...

thx

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »

I'm looking for fxr4 stock seat, possibly exchange plus boot.

HDFXR3... Did you ever find/get a stock FXR4 seat?

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »

I'm looking for either fxr3 or fxr4 seat in good condition. Let me know what you may have and price. Might trade nice mustang seat on my bike for one.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 21 queries.