Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wind screen  (Read 860 times)

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
Wind screen
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »

I just took the maiden voyage on my SERG (the fastest color, even in the rain), and am a convert from the Road King Classic.  Love, love, love the new SERG but the Klock Werks 8" wind screen blows.  I've seen some posts on different wind screens and am curious what those of you who have taken road trips think about other after market screens.  The Klock Werks looks good but function did not follow form, and over 50 mph, my helmet and glasses were buffeted pretty good.  We're headed to Sturgis this summer from Dallas and I know the wife will NOT enjoy that screen on such a long road trip, so any input will be appreciated.  Thanks!

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: Wind screen
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »

"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:02:24 PM »

Ive got he 8'' too and The 8" or 12" Klock Werks windshield isn't really designed for keeping the air out of yoru face or moving it over your head- its designed for 2 things- to change the air flow to create a downforce on the front end for better handling, and to redirect the turbulence behind the screen to cut down not eliminate the buffeting(compared to stock shorty screens). I called KW about this and thats how they explained it to me. For sure I think they need to do a better job of training parts guys to tell the right story, and have a some demo screens on hand to try before you buy and make the 170.00 mistake.

There are a lot of options- depending on form vs function- and some are pretty expensive. You might keep the Klock Werks for local rides- I think it looks pretty cool and it does work better than the chopped contoured deflector that comes on the bike. I think the cheapest alternative is still with HD  you can get a Road Glide Windshield Tall Clear (18.5" ) from  the MoCo for the long road trips to keep the Mrs'  happy the part number is: 58283-04A $169.95 and ordering online from someone like Chicago HD you can get 20% off- I think its an inexpensive alternative. And the swap over takes a few minutes.

2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

2006 Custom Bobber Hardtail
80" Super Stock Evo
SS heads, SS 561 cam, Super G carb, TD aircleaner
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:12:50 PM »

I just took the maiden voyage on my SERG (the fastest color, even in the rain), and am a convert from the Road King Classic.  Love, love, love the new SERG but the Klock Werks 8" wind screen blows.  I've seen some posts on different wind screens and am curious what those of you who have taken road trips think about other after market screens.  The Klock Werks looks good but function did not follow form, and over 50 mph, my helmet and glasses were buffeted pretty good.  We're headed to Sturgis this summer from Dallas and I know the wife will NOT enjoy that screen on such a long road trip, so any input will be appreciated.  Thanks!
SB, If you had done any search's on this site you would have found that the KW screens offer absolutely no wind protection, I only kept mine on for about 7 mi and removed it, the 12 in KW is no better. as already stated they are designed to hold your front end down at high speeds not for wind protection.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:22:43 AM »

There is no need to hold the front end down , it does not come up , even with the stock deflector ,the handling is perfect with the stock deflector , but the strong wind is annoyingly on 200 miles + tours or cold weather rides .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.