Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR4 ergonomics  (Read 5957 times)

Sputnik

FXR4 ergonomics
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »

I just bought a tangerine FXR4 with narrow drag bars. The bars have virtually no pullback with the stock risers. I am also doing some motor work so the bike is in my brother-in-law's scooter shop. We mocked up the new drag bars today, but when we installed the seat and got on the bike, I still felt like I was reaching. We gained 1 1/2 in. on the pullback with the new bars. I thought about changing the risers, but don't want to change the appearance. Can anyone recomend a brand of seat that moves you forward? I am six feet tall and you would think that stock seat would accomodate me? Surely someone else has experienced this same issue. Reaching in Texas. 

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: FXR4 ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »

I am not that tall, but could not ride with the stock bars and mid controls.  I installed forward controls and changed to the bars and riser setup on the FX2, FXR3.  You could probably use extended forward controls.  I do not think I've seen and seats to help because the frame sits you so low anyway tucked into the frame.  I also converted to the old style 2 piece hindged seat.  Its very comfortable and fun to ride.

Please check this thread for pictures and part numbers:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34200.0;all
Any day on the bike is a good day.

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:45:47 PM »

Good Luck,
It is almost impossible to change the geometry on an FXR.I have been  riding a stock FXR4 since it was new and I am not that comfortable but I deal with it.Most people fall in love with the looks and the handling of an FXR and not the comfort level.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:08:23 PM »

in 2001, or  2002 I put wide glide handlebars on my FXR4 .... tilted the bars down to a comfortable level, got a Corbin saddle, been riding it ever since, MANY miles per year .... loving it !!!

Have pics if you need em
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:48:11 PM »

Hi,
In 1994 I bought a new FXRS. I loved the mid controls and seldom used the forward highway pegs. Now I have a FXR4 with mid controls.Again I seldom the forward pegs. I am 5'10" 215 lbs. Usually by the time my legs need reposition it is time for gas anyway. The stock drag bars of the FXR4 were too narrow to use the rear mirrors. I got some wider bars with a 4" rise and slight pullback. Sometimes I wish I had the stock buckhorn bars for a little bore pullback but I don't want to extend the cables again.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »

Good Luck,
It is almost impossible to change the geometry on an FXR.I have been  riding a stock FXR4 since it was new and I am not that comfortable but I deal with it.Most people fall in love with the looks and the handling of an FXR and not the comfort level.

Looks AND comfort!!! Just take the plunge and set it up any way you need to for comfort for YOU! Very, very doable as you can see below. Perfect for ME (12.5" Flanders Original Apes)!!! The bike's as comfortable as my SERK is!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »

I just bought a tangerine FXR4 with narrow drag bars. The bars have virtually no pullback with the stock risers. I am also doing some motor work so the bike is in my brother-in-law's scooter shop. We mocked up the new drag bars today, but when we installed the seat and got on the bike, I still felt like I was reaching. We gained 1 1/2 in. on the pullback with the new bars. I thought about changing the risers, but don't want to change the appearance. Can anyone recomend a brand of seat that moves you forward? I am six feet tall and you would think that stock seat would accomodate me? Surely someone else has experienced this same issue. Reaching in Texas. 

here's two FXR4's   .... both have had ergo's changes made to suit the rider..... the Orange Crush is mine, and the Yellow on is Blaines

2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

ican

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »

what foward controls fit the fxr4?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 04:25:10 PM »

Not to be a wise ass but, FXR forward controls.  Not too many options now.  I bought a NOS Legends set on Ebay last year and just installed them last week after getting a deal on the matching grips and passenger pegs.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:23:23 PM »

what foward controls fit the fxr4?

The part number for the forward controls on my FXR4 are DS-243485, description PU ACC Forward Control 82-9.  My price on 7/1/2000 was $229.49 plus tax.

Fast Eddie

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:57:36 PM »

The new Sporsters have a pull back riser, all you need is a machinist buddy to machine a new top clamp and have it chrome plated. Lucky I have both and will post images. I also have gone with the Sporster low rise bars, The new position is awesome! Stock position sucks, looks great but miserable for riding.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.