Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: MRF and EPA  (Read 2718 times)

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
MRF and EPA
« on: January 07, 2006, 09:45:33 AM »

I've been keeping half an eye on this topic for a while now, but finally had a chance to read through the details over the holidays.

Alazlo

Re: MRF and EPA
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »

My local dealer had several of these articles printed out & available to take with you & read. The article titled "$10,000. fine" is especially interesting."  While the laws date to 1977 it sounds like 2006 may be the magic year for the crackdown.  If I bought a new bike, & it had the catalytic converters on it, I would still put a different exhaust  & air cleaner on it but I'd put the takeoff parts some where that I could find them in a year or two.  Does anyone besides me remember what a PITA it was to replace the trap door under the gas cap and to put the airpumps back on the cars we took them off of in the early 80's...   The EPA is coming and they are gonna change the way we (the entire motorcycle industry) do things, it's just a matter of how soon

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 11:49:13 AM »

Tactically unenforceable for the private individual owner/rider.  How many of you have ever been stopped and tested by the EPA police?  

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 11:54:27 AM »

I would love to see all the extremist environmentalist and all those that make up the EPA get into their hybrid cars and take a little ride out in the country......in say Oklahoma.....http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5854686068870249151.

As Mr Hubbard says...There Endeth The Lesson!!!!! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:55:19 AM by J.Rud »

Alazlo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 12:07:28 PM »

Tactically unenforceable for the private individual owner/rider.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 04:13:22 PM by Alazlo »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 03:57:47 PM »

Can you say echeck. In ohio, as well as many other states we are forced to take our cars in every other year & have them checked. Do you think they won't add motorcycles to the requirement...

California (CARB) is already enforcing stricker regulations on motorcycles.

Are dealers gonna install equipment that will net them a $5000.00 fine for every day that it is use... It would be nice if we could ignore this but it ain't goin' away.
I think you're right Alazlo. We suffer through the scam every other year and best I can tell the only thing it's good for is enriching the testers (bribes included). There's just way too many folks that don't like bikes for this to last much longer.  [smiley=furious2.gif]Especially when you consider the apathy that exists w/in the biker community as a whole. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 04:23:59 PM »

Can you say echeck. In ohio, as well as many other states we are forced to take our cars in every other year & have them checked. Do you think they won't add motorcycles to the requirement...

California (CARB) is already enforcing stricter regulations on motorcycles.

Are dealers gonna install equipment that will net them a $5000.00 fine for every day that it is use... It would be nice if we could ignore this but it ain't goin' away.

I don't have any trouble saying it and lived with "echeck" for years in Nevada with no problems and all vehicles cleared of converters and the like.  Day to day there is no enforcement with echeck.  The only testing that is done is at the time of initial registration/title or when renewing.  I guess if one can't figure out the means to avoid that issue, it's probably time to worry.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 05:03:30 PM »

I don't have any trouble saying it and lived with "echeck" for years in Nevada with no problems and all vehicles cleared of converters and the like.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 05:32:38 PM »

California (CARB) is already enforcing stricter regulations on motorcycles.

As JR can tell you, we live only a few short miles from Memphis where they are now requiring all motorcycles over 50cc to be inspected prior to renewing or issueing new tags. To add sound checks while they shove that testing rod in the tailpipe would not be a great leap. Only good part is everyone has learned to bring a KFC 2 piece snack box and they will pass you. Rumor has it they are going to organize and the price will go up to a 3 piece meal w/ sides. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 06:45:35 PM »

I'm wondering about where this might lead to ::) ...I go into buy that new 2012 CVO Ultra Deuce Screaming Fatboy model and find out that the SE catalog parts are not supported on my bike and in order to get a race tuner to work on it I need to prove the bike is for track use only, so, I'm stuck doing the chromey bits here and there and changing the seat and adding racing strips to make my bike personalized for me. Woo Ha, what a killer ride:'(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 06:47:19 PM by fatboyse2 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 06:49:51 PM »

Has no one ever seen a Summit or Jeg's catalog?  Thousands of pages of accessories from some smart aftermarket vendors who managed to work around or within governmental regulations.  A smart and profit seeking aftermarket with it's own lobbying efforts coupled with difficulties in enforcement means we're always going to have options.  Got to be more important things to worry about  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 07:21:05 PM »

This past September, Williamson and Travis County in Texas instituded EPA checks. Vehicles 2 years old and newer were exempt, vehicles 2 years to 15 (might be longer) that were registered in either county OR driven on a routin basis to either county had to be checked. And then there were vehicles that were older, that could apply for "clasis" status. Most interesting - all mototcycles were exempt.

The county I live in does not require sniffer testing, so I have to get my vehicles tested (supposedly) in either of the two counties if I drive them to work regurlarly. Since there is no difference in the inspection sticker (state issued) and no additional sticker or identification that the vehicle has been tested. The only thing that says you car has been tested is the receipt, which you are not required by law to carry.

Unless your ride is running down the road blowin smoke of some sort, the average enforcer is going to have a really tuff time smelling the air or looking at you vehicle and determining if your in compliance.

My thought is unless they do mobile testing - highly unlike since it would be cost prohibitive. The only way they could do it is is on an annual basis at inspection. For me, it will be a 10 minute deal to swap the stock ECM and air filter back in, pull the bike off the trailer, do the test, back on the trailer and go home to swap parts.

My .05 worth

Jim
Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 08:42:31 PM »

The latest issue of American Iron magazine does have a survey for all motorcycle owners and shop owners as well as aftermarket manufacturers to fill out and send in to voice your opinons so they can be heard. I strongly urge all of us to fill the survey out and send it. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Maybe one of the computer gurus on this site could get a copy of that survey and post it on this site to make it easy to copy? I see that it is on the link in the first post too.
The way to loose our freedoms is to do nothing.

Many of us don't have the mechanical ability or tools/shop space to take parts on an off each year so it can pass inspection or we prefer not to ride on a daily basis wondering if we were going to be pulled over for loud exhaust or other violations.
You guys are right it is not a very big step for the state to start emissions/noise inspections each year and they could tie it in with registration so you couldn't renew your license if you failed.
We all need to wake up and get involved.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:45:27 PM by VaEagle »

Alazlo

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 08:54:28 PM »

The way to loose our freedoms is to do nothing.

what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 06:31:30 AM »

Only good part is everyone has learned to bring a KFC 2 piece snack box and they will pass you. Rumor has it they are going to organize and the price will go up to a 3 piece meal w/ sides. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

;D You have reminded me of a time that I had to learn how to "deal with" this type of testing, and was not up to snuff enough to pass honestly.  We lived almost 8 years in Belgium, and the testing is extreme and very strict there for their vehicles and slack for us Americans was not proffered freely.  Imagine, you drive extremely fast, very close together always on their autobahns and auto-routes.  The cars have to be up to spec.  But, there was admittedly, a short time that I needed an interim car.  I had sold one car and had another on the boat from Japan on it's way, and I had to get to work for about 6-8 weeks.  I bought a $200 wonder - I think it was a 2 cylinder, 15 year old Audi, but it had not been kept up to snuff for many a year, could not even reach speed limit, and lots of colorful smoke came out it's tail pipe when I would hit that gas pedal.  I worked in Brussels, Capital of Belgium, 50 miles one way.  Just imagine the pummeling that little car took each day.  Well during the initial need to put tags on it, I had to get it inspected. I took it first to a mechanic to find out how far off tolerance it was.  He told me it would cost some $2,000 just to get it to the point that I could take it for inspection, then it would fail, but we would only have to fix what they put on the failure report for one year and the lazy inspectors only looked for the first few failure points before writing up their reports. I did not want to spend that much money on an interim car, I had a brand new car coming.  

What to do?  What to do?  I asked all the Belgian Latrine Lawyers I could find, kicked the topic around the water cooler and finally decided to try what I was being told was "guaranteed" to work.  Now, remember, I am not one of these types of people who try to "Get Over."  I did not grow up this way, so I was pretty uncomfortable about what I was going to try.  I bought the big bottle of Jack Daniels, left it in it's brown paper wrapper on the passenger seat.  I pulled into the inspection line.  Never said a word to anyone about the bottle.  At the end of the line, my blue smoke car pulled out, I was handed the keys and my passed inspection report.  No bottle on seat anymore.  I drove away, and have never driven a vehicle like that again.  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.