Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Customizations  (Read 7986 times)

Andyatlas

• Live to Ride!
Re: Customizations
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2003, 03:51:09 PM »

Indy,

The sound difference is noticeable at idle, a little deeper, but very noticeable when you get on the pipe.  I really like it that way, so the bike is somewhat quite when gently cruising, but has a really nice sound when you get on it.  If you want it louder at idle, I would go with a little more open pipe.

The power on the other hand is very noticeable.  It is producing the 100 ft of torque at about 2500 rpm.  It is great on the torque end!!  I was looking to change cams so I could get the hp up a little more.  My last bike was 105hp, and it was awewome to crackt he throttle on the open road and let her rip!  to go up to the 251 cam I want to put in the bike, my dealer says I really should put heads on as well.  The upgraded cam on the SE is the 203.  Without heads I could only go to the 211 which wouldn't be much of a difference for the cost.

Therfore...I think next spring I am going with the CNC Ported HTCC heads.  That would allow me to go all the way up to Harley's 260 cam, although I think I am going to stick with the 251.  From what I understand the 260 cam is all high end hp and not low end torque the 251 is a good mix of both from what the dealer can tell from the few they have put on this spring, since HD came out with that cam.  

I am/would be changing the cam purely for performance reasons, although that loping sound at idle is a great bonus.  My last bike was a Deuce upgraded to 95 cu. in with the 257 cam, HD's regular performance heads and Python pipes.  The sound at idle was simply awesome, but when you opened it up it was a bit loud.

So hopefully the combination I'm trying to put together this time will give me all the performance I'm looking for with a good, yet tolerable sound level.

Andy
2005 FLHTCI 95in-Loving it
2005 FLTRI 103 in-Traded
2002 FLHRSEI-Taded
2002 Deuce 95 in-Traded

mfgreen

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2003, 12:48:59 PM »

Take a close look at these heads!  Saw a pair last week that looked porous. If you find a good set are you going to utilize the intake that H-D has matched  for these heads?

richtduff

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2003, 02:38:33 PM »

I have had some more work done on my 03 S.E.

I have hooker slipons
Open up the air cleaner with the EFI kit.

Now I have downloaded the Harley computer chip
and had a Dynorun.

We did a Dynorun before the download and after.
H.P. went from 86.8 to 91.8
Torque went from 96.7 to 100.0 at hte rear wheel.
And my milage is now up to 42 mpg

The bike is running great and I'm very happy.

RTd

IndySE

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2003, 11:36:20 PM »

Ok - I'm still looking for a bike that has the sound I'm looking for.  I'm told that I may be looking for a Sampson pipe - fairly open - metal inside without any fiberglass to muffle the sound.  Yes I'd like louder.  I want to hear my machine with I'm in a tunnel or running against a wall or gardrail.  I want to hear when I crack it open.  I run with a lot of softtail folks and theyare loud and sound great.  With dual pipe - the way a touring bike is set up - I'm lower (which is cool) but I really can't hear my bike when I run with anyone else.  This is not cool.  So I'm currently looking for a bike that is running Sampson pipes with a ECM Power Commander.  I'm told on this point that I can put this in without overwriting the Harley ECM and it's unique program.

Any words of wisdom?  Everyone wants to make their ride to be their dream bike.  I love the look I've got going.  Power is fine - more is always bette - but for me the sound needs to be LOUDER!  Hey - just thinking about safety   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Still slapping on chrome nik-naks - tweeking in the perfect look without going overboard!  Had a great ride last week and got my first sun burn...  FACE, STOMACH AND BACK - - - I LOVE IT!!!!!

banglin1

• '02 FLHRSEI
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 10:07:25 PM »

I have the Samson slip-ons. They sound great. The mechanic tells me it adds 5 - 6 HP. Did not need a new chip, (at least they didn't charge me for one). I have met 3 or 4 other guys with SE Kings. They have all commented positively on the pipes.

Be well.
Benny.
Samson slip-ons, Arlen Ness mirrors, Highway pegs.

IndySE

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2003, 01:15:11 AM »

Hey Benny - which pipes did you go with from Sampson?  Did you install them yourself?  Looking at ovals and there are still many options here.

Did you do anything with your air intake? Or just pipes.

Thanks for input.

bigmatt1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2003, 02:45:13 PM »

Remember a couple of cardinal rules:

Engine hop-ups w/o exhaust changes often lead to a quieter bike. Not a bad thing....I run a Thunderheader and its a little loud for my taste, but the performance is inline with my beliefs.
You just can't compare your local dyno charts. Often the techs will run the dyno in 5th gear to get higher numbers, or they will use very little compensation for barometer/temp/fuel, or the dyna150 and the Sun and Sea don't measure the same....If all the dyno techs ran the exact same dyno with the exact same spec we could compare. What is important is knowing we're going in the correct direction and dyno results before and after show this.

I ride a '99 Road King with many mods (not an SE, but the paint is similar to the '00 SE RG) with a 95" kit. I have dyno results that range from a low of 94hp and 106 ftlb to 105hp and 112 ftlb. It all matters on the dyno (NOTE: dyno shootout dynos are really calibrated to get high numbers.).

"Never give up, never surrender" Tim Allen - Galaxy Quest
[smiley=biggthumpup.gif]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 04:02:12 PM by bigmatt1 »
Never give up, Never surrender

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2003, 02:53:03 PM »

it definatley looks like the screamin' eagle road glide paint from a distance :)

welcome to the site
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

bigmatt1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2003, 03:15:26 PM »

Thanks, it was the intent to get people to ask questions, so it has a few details that are different. The white stripe is pinstriped and shadowed with an airbrush. The black below the white stripe is ghost checkered, and the tank emblem is a cartoonized aluminum leaf version of the 1967 (my birth year) set under the clear coat. Its fun to ride and people really freakout about its looks and incredible performance (best 1/4 et is 12.36).

bigmatt1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2003, 03:17:12 PM »

How about some dyno posts. This is my worst one and the only one I trust.

IndySE

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2003, 11:52:12 PM »

I have a question for others that own the FLHRSEI/95 - 2002 bike.  I was under the impression that the Stage II Big Bore kit came with the hi flow screaming eagle air kit.   It doesn't seem to be so...??  

I have gotten new pipes - now finally sounds like a Harley.  I choose the Vance & Hines 2-into-1 ProSeries pipes.  Sounds Great.  

I did have dyno runs made befoe & after and will share when I have more time to scan them.  Big bang in torque and hp.  

Finally going to hit 70 degrees tomorrow and no rain.. HEY [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2003, 11:36:42 AM »

I have a question for others that own the FLHRSEI/95 - 2002 bike.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2003, 02:06:02 PM »

I have very good MAP data and every day I gather moor and send it off to my mechanic for his evaluation.

H-D_Tech

• Proper combinations and tuning are where it's at.
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2003, 04:23:32 AM »

I have a 03 S.E.
I have the S.E. air cleaner kit.
Hooker slipons
The hookers are loud but perform great.
I have not used any EFI Kit yet.
I don't think I'll need one.

RTD

Your bike is running lean.  

IndySE

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2003, 09:22:30 PM »

Man I can't tell you guys how much MORE fun it is to ride when you can hear you machine!!  8) I put the Vance & Hines 2-1 Pro Series pipes with NO breather kit or ECM Chip nothing and I believe I got the BIGGEST bang for the buck in terms of HP and Torque one could buy!  It's like a completely different bike - runs much better!

By the way Naitram - I saw the pair of Kuryaken gas cap and fuel/voltage gage on a bike the other day and this looks like a very cool option.  Saving my coins!  Always something.
[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.