Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something to check  (Read 1024 times)

SPIDERMAN

Something to check
« on: February 09, 2006, 05:04:52 PM »

As mentioned on the RK area under cam chain tensioner upgrade Elvis is in the ICU. One of the things that has turned up is a crack in the oil pan. While the dealer is covering a new pan and labor under the ESP the service manager (a friend) thinks it may have been related to the True-Track being torqued down too tight against the pan. Should anyone with a True-Track develop a mysterious, untraceable oil leak (seepage) around the filler spout, swing arm clevis blocks and bushings, check this out

Big B     ;)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Something to check
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »

As mentioned on the RK area under cam chain tensioner upgrade Elvis is in the ICU. One of the things that has turned up is a crack in the oil pan. While the dealer is covering a new pan and labor under the ESP the service manager (a friend) thinks it may have been related to the True-Track being torqued down too tight against the pan. Should anyone with a True-Track develop a mysterious, untraceable oil leak (seepage) around the filler spout, swing arm clevis blocks and bushings, check this out

Big B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 10:27:54 PM »

Sorry, no pics, the dealer kept the pan. The crack was on the forward end of the pan well away from the area where the True-Track bolts up to the pan, but still could have been related due to torquing effect of the device. Got it covered under ESP since the Service Manager felt the pan was defective. The crack was where the flange and the side of the pan join, all the way through and around the forwardmost right side bolt hole. Only thing I can say is if you get seepage or a ghost leak, drop the pan and do a careful visual check. No way to magnaflux aluminum that I know of, so you've gotta have a good pair of eyes.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 12:21:34 AM »

I normally use spotcheck or zyglo on a non-ferrous materials. I have seen many cracks in aluminum impossible to detect. It seems when the part is removed, the stress crack can sometimes close up making it undetectable by eyesight.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 12:34:59 PM »

Hey Spider,
Maybe give Will @True-Track a call (818) 623-0697 and let him know what the dealership said about the possible causes of the pan leak. Sounds a bit too wierd, but maybe there could be something to it, and maybe they need to put a bold print warning on their install instructions or something. I've seen no leaks, but did go out and look this morning  :)
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:21:38 PM »

I checked mine as well.  No apparent cracks but it sounds like it is in a location that is difficult to verify.  I agree, a call to Will at True-Track is in order.  Too bad I didn't know about this earlier as I talked to him in person at Expo in Cinci. He is very responsive to any kind of issues that might even be remotely associated with the True-Track.    

Considering that the True-Track bracket is machined from solid billet and is supported by "almost" all of the pan bolts, I would be amazed if it was the cause of any torquing effect (but you never know).  

Let us know what you find out.
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:37:53 PM »

I normally use spotcheck or zyglo on a non-ferrous materials. I have seen many cracks in aluminum impossible to detect. It seems when the part is removed, the stress crack can sometimes close up making it undetectable by eyesight.

thanks I did not know that  ;)

Big B

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.