Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ZIPPER Breather & Football cover question PROBLEMS  (Read 2215 times)

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4--SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4--Traded-N-
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO LIMITED
ZIPPER Breather & Football cover question PROBLEMS
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »

I installed a D&D fat cat 2-n-1 header, Zipper breather-with new football cover HD-29121-07 with the spacer provided with breather....I always make sure the cover has the provided spacer installed onto it....I have #3 filter elements that have the center broke out right now....Have lost #2 football covers while traveling....I have spoke to a few other friends that have experienced the same issues....Does anybody know if they have a fix to this problem

I would love to purchase another setup that would allow me to re-install my original football cover....what are my options....Can anybody provide any leads, websites-numbers-part numbers
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:50:37 PM by nudels2u75 »
"I see the horizon and no destination in sight"

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
Re: ZIPPER Breather & Football cover question PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:21 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  K&N wants me to clay up the fitment from their filter to the 2010 SEUC football.  Haven't bothered to do it yet.  You would think they have more time to do this.
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »

Friends K&N (HD-0818) center broke out last Wed. during ride down from Brentwood with stock 2010 Air Cleaner Cover installed.  Vibration and weight made it break off, but he caught with his leg and saved it.  Purchased another K&N and installed a 29153-07 Smooth Air Cleaner Cover.  Better fit and a lot less weight.  Also put a little foam between the end of the K&N and A/C cover to absorb extra vibration.  My K&N also broke out with my stock CVO cover, but found it cracking before it fell off.  I installed a new K&N with an Arlen Ness Stage 1 Billet Smooth Chrome Cover on the end of mine.  Filter is exposed so i'll need to get a sock, but I like the look and it does not touch my leg.  My local shop is getting me a replacement for the broken K&N.  Seems to be a weakness in the K&N filter construction.  Have seen the other K&N filters come with a gasket to go between filter and cover to take up the slack/space.  Wish they made one for the HD-0818.  Think I am going to have a larger washer welded/tacked to the new one.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:46:10 PM »

Mine was the HD-0818 and I just did save the cover with my leg on the interstate.
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »

I used some black foam around center of cover and rode 45,000 mile with no problems.Foam was close to rubber firmness. good luck jdo

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:41:50 AM »

Add me to the list of failed filters. I had a K&N that was cracking around the mounting hole but found it in time while doing maintenance. I wasn't so lucky when my football cover broke off from the Zipper last summer as I was driving. Zipper replaced the filter but I too believed the weight and vibration was to much so I ended up installing the flush Arlen Ness cover. I'm certainly no genius but I suspect something goes wrong when they punch the center section to shape containing the mounting hole. Could be just a bad bad batch every now and then. I now have an open element and so far have not had any issues. These failures seem to be fairly common on both filters. I don't have the confidence to put the original cover on. Hope you can find a way to solve your  answer to your situation.   

Ray G.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »

Very familiar with the problom you are mentioning, I have a zippers "max" flow a/f on my '06 CUSE.. You need to purchase a a/c service kit gasket P/N 29591-99. The problom arises on the CVO cover that it does not make a 360 degree contact between the cover back and filter.
This will be the fix  :2vrolijk_21:

2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4--SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4--Traded-N-
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:06:34 PM »

Just got off the phone with     http://www.bcheads.com/new.htm   916.638.9008   spoke with mark.....They have a much better built filter element   and you also have many different options with covers.....   Soon as my scooter gets out of the shop from the top end rebuild she will have one installed with my original stock football cover back on...I just rolled over 60,000 miles on this 2009...after 40,000 miles has been nothing but major problems

by the way zipper is having me mail my element back to them and in return they are sending me out a new one.....As far as the football cover that they recommended that I purchase, the one they suggested that does fit 360 degress with a special washer/spacer, I am not sure what there intentions are there....

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:49:22 PM by nudels2u75 »
"I see the horizon and no destination in sight"

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.