Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Another ConV Windshield...  (Read 11604 times)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Another ConV Windshield...
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:52:55 PM »

Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Shazam

Re: Another ConV Windshield...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »

I have a 20" on order and will let you know as soon as it's installed.  It seems to be the best option I've heard about.

Thanks for the lead.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »

I have a 20" on order and will let you know as soon as it's installed.  It seems to be the best option I've heard about.

Thanks for the lead.
hey Shazam, don't forget pictures after you get it installed. I have a CBailey and I don't really like it. I think the one you ordered is wider at the base and may act more like a stock Softail windshield. Let us know how you like it. Happy riding. It's 90 degrees in the NE and Sunny!!
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »

I'am wondering too   thinking about upgrading also 
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:50:29 AM »

Well, 3 weeks from tomorrow, July 27th I believe, the moco will reveal its 2011 models and we will see if they continued the softail convertible for 2 years in a row.  And if they did, how did they address this issue with the new model.  Suppose they have some tricks up their sleeve........ maybe we will all br satisfied with whatever they come up with........ Pork      I know, I'm dreamin'; I'm dreamin'..........  ;)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »

Shazam,

The 7jurok windshield looks to have addressed the height AND width "short"comings of the stock ConV windshield. If it does indeed do the trick then I may go that way as well. Be sure to take pics and post how it does when you get it installed.

Pork - wishful thinking but we can only hope... :-)

Thanks,

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Shazam

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »

Hey everyone:

Todays e-mail said it will ship in 3-5 days - I'll post a picture as soon as I get it - I went with the light gray version.

Thanks,
Shazam

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:45:07 AM »

Shazam,

Did you get the new windshield yet? I'd love know what you think of it and see some pics if you have them.

Thanks,

MikeV

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »

yea me too
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Bikerdude1018

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2010 FLSTSE2 CVO Softail Convertable-Sold
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »

I'd like to know as well

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 02:02:23 AM »

We're all awaiting your reply . . .
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »

My wife just put one on her bike, and really likes it.  She ordered the standard height, in the light grey, and says it is much more comfortable at speeds over 65 mph.  It took her less than ten minutes to change them out.
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 11:31:13 PM »

My wife just put one on her bike, and really likes it.  She ordered the standard height, in the light grey, and says it is much more comfortable at speeds over 65 mph.  It took her less than ten minutes to change them out.

Any Pics?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »

Not the greatest pics, but you can get the idea.......

Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »

Side view....

Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »

from the saddle.....  Hope these help :mango:

Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »

Hey Free, it looks good and may just be the trick.  When you said the "standard" height, which height is that??  Oem says 15" and Shazam ordered the 20".         Pork.     btw, it looks like moco did the exact same windshield as last year with the enhanced fairing (did what they said couldn't be done: made the fairing deeper so they could hide the module for the cruise control which they said couldn't be put on the softail because there was no place to hide the module.......... :confused5: ) yup: they left us hangin'...........
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:17:15 PM by porkypig »

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »

Hey Free, it looks good and may just be the trick.  When you said the "standard" height, which height is that??  Oem says 15" and Shazam ordered the 20".         Pork.     btw, it looks like moco did the exact same windshield as last year with the enhanced fairing (did what they said couldn't be done: made the fairing deeper so they could hide the module for the cruise control which they said couldn't be put on the softail because there was no place to hide the module.......... :confused5: ) yup: they left us hangin'...........

She got the standard OEM height.  Her concern wasn't the height, but the width.  This shield seems to be the answer.
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 05:37:23 PM »

I like the windshield bag. Is it Harley or aftermarket ? I need something.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 07:17:05 PM »

yes please tell us about windshield bag  looks to be a harley davidson
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »

She picked it up at the local dealer.  She removed the leather straps, and used velcro to close the lid.  It's just a place to put her glasses, etc.
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

Bikerdude1018

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2010 FLSTSE2 CVO Softail Convertable-Sold
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 08:20:34 PM »

Hey Free, it looks like a windshield should.  That's the ticket.  Thanks for the pics :orange:

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »

Hey Free, it looks like a windshield should.  That's the ticket.  Thanks for the pics :orange:

10-4, glad to help :drink:
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

RidgecrestCVO

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »

Well I've had enough of the stock windshield so I just ordered a 7 Jurock windshield at 20"  :bananarock: I'll post pictures once it arrives. ;D

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »

Part of my falling in lust with this bike is its looks!  The whole package is nicely styled and seems to flow, especially the windshield with its cafe racer look...

NOW I find that I am changing things for various reasons.... mustache engine guard for tip-over protection and highway leg-up riding (highly recommended by all my friends) was the first 'mod' I have done.  But the list is growing with rider comfort/convenience being the priority..... (and stuff for our October trip!)

seat pad (do not want to change the seat!)
luggage rack (anyone get the new air-wing two-up luggage rack??  Pix!!?)
cruise/poor-mans cruise
T-bag or comperable
windshield....

Which leads me to the question.... The buffetting I feel at speeds above about 45mph.... Is that induced from the wind flowing up (and around) the relatively short shield then hitting me in the face/helmet? Or from the wind splitting at the fueltank and popping up to my face (the reason I ask this is due to some posts I have read about the wind deflectors on the fork tubes)?

In my own limited, unscientific tests I have been able to virtually eliminate the buffetting just by slightly lowering (looking down)  my head while riding which would lead me to believe I should look at a windshield only an inch or two taller.  And, what does the width of the shield do for you?

I hate to loose the looks of the current shield and do not mind wind in my face but do not care for the buffetting, and I like to go fast  ;D :huepfenjump3:

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »

Hey CVO, I have the Fatboy winshield and I found my head was bobbing around a lot in the wind until I put on the fork deflectors. I haven't tried it with the stock windshield yet, but it made a huge difference with the Fatboy shield. I have a C Bailey tall windshield installed on my stock fairing. When I get a chance I'll try it out and post the results.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 11:11:55 PM »

Hey CVO, I have the Fatboy winshield and I found my head was bobbing around a lot in the wind until I put on the fork deflectors. I haven't tried it with the stock windshield yet, but it made a huge difference with the Fatboy shield. I have a C Bailey tall windshield installed on my stock fairing. When I get a chance I'll try it out and post the results.

OK, thanks!  I really do not want to put fork deflectors on but ...  needs and wants change..  Am considering the 7JuRock shield but thought I would ask the question before ordering the wrong size. I will most likely go on the October trip with a full face helmet (getting to be fall temps by then anyway) and leave the windshield til later.

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »

Just wondering if any more info on buffet with the new windshield. Like most, I'm using the fatbut and have just ordered the deflectors (God they are ugly). Only plan to use the deflectors on long rides and will remove them promptly when I arrive at my destination, as I like to strip the bike down to street look for local driving

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »

HEY EVERYONE with different windshields/fork deflectors!!!  Inquiring minds want to know...

I know everyone is busy riding but please take a moment and post to this subject so we who are thinking of buying....buy smart!

Q #1 - What does the height AND width seem to do to calm the high(er) speed buffet experienced?

Q #2 - If you added fork deflectors what are your impressions? Before and/or after adding a windshield.

Q #3 - How tall are you?

I don;t mean to be a pita and I know just how much time we all have to type, type, type ... But it would help  :coolblue:

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »

HEY EVERYONE with different windshields/fork deflectors!!!  Inquiring minds want to know...

I know everyone is busy riding but please take a moment and post to this subject so we who are thinking of buying....buy smart!

Q #1 - What does the height AND width seem to do to calm the high(er) speed buffet experienced?

Q #2 - If you added fork deflectors what are your impressions? Before and/or after adding a windshield.

Q #3 - How tall are you?

I don;t mean to be a pita and I know just how much time we all have to type, type, type ... But it would help  :coolblue:

A #1 - I installed a stock Fatboy windshield - Still had buffetting bad!

A #2 - I installed fork deflectors and all buffeting went away. I haven't tried the stock windshield again yet.

A #3 - I'm 6'0" tall. I look over the top of the windshield. I wear and open face 1/2 helmet.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »

A #1 - I installed a stock Fatboy windshield - Still had buffetting bad!

A #2 - I installed fork deflectors and all buffeting went away. I haven't tried the stock windshield again yet.

A #3 - I'm 6'0" tall. I look over the top of the windshield. I wear and open face 1/2 helmet.

Thank you RCFlyer....! Bad news for the front forks...   :(

so this brings up the question....  Why get another windshield at all??
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:33:49 PM by CVOpilot »

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »

Buffeting has alot to do with what is on your head as well as your shield. It's terrible if I have a helmet on and non-existant without one. Seems to me that if I have a shield that allows me to look just over the top of it, as it's supposed to be, the air hits the top of the helmet. So that means a taller shield would do the trick but then I am looking thru it and that's not acceptable for many safety reasons. Try different helmets if you must wear one or go naked.

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »

Buffeting has alot to do with what is on your head as well as your shield. It's terrible if I have a helmet on and non-existant without one. Seems to me that if I have a shield that allows me to look just over the top of it, as it's supposed to be, the air hits the top of the helmet. So that means a taller shield would do the trick but then I am looking thru it and that's not acceptable for many safety reasons. Try different helmets if you must wear one or go naked.

You have that option... ala Worthlessburger.... But I hope no harm comes to ANYone who chooses to not wear a helmet!  Here in Virginia we have to have a DOT certified (as a minimum) helmet.  

I see the wisdom in your words...and felt it today.  Cool morning so I used the full face helmet I just bought.  Very little buffetting!  But it had its disadvantages too... clostriphobic feeling, Limited visibility, limited outside noise warnings (although I will classify this as.... more engine noise coming from below cancelling out outside noise. I was cruising up the 4 lane at about 65 enjoying the smooth airflow and was startled by the tri-axle dumptruck that blew by me at 70!)

My 1/2 helmet is a better feeling for awareness, ride enjoyment, and precieved cool  :coolblue:  But sux for the high speed buffet.  

I guess I just thought thaT a higher/wider windscreen would solve most of the problem.

Sometimes the obvious...is not sooooo obvious...!

RidgecrestCVO

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »

I installed the JuRock 20" windshield and was able to ride to work this morning   :) and  the buffetng is almost none existant for me, slight vibration with full face helmet. With the stock windshield I'm constantly itching my nose from the buffeting and this mornings 30 mile ride was perfect for me. Going on a long ride this weekend and I'll test it again but if it go's as good as this mornings ride the windshield will stay on the bike more often.
I'm 6' tall, fullface helmet and I look over the windshield. Very happy with this windshield. :bananarock:

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »

I installed the JuRock 20" windshield and was able to ride to work this morning   :) and  the buffetng is almost none existant for me, slight vibration with full face helmet. With the stock windshield I'm constantly itching my nose from the buffeting and this mornings 30 mile ride was perfect for me. Going on a long ride this weekend and I'll test it again but if it go's as good as this mornings ride the windshield will stay on the bike more often.
I'm 6' tall, fullface helmet and I look over the windshield. Very happy with this windshield. :bananarock:

You can look over a 20"? You must have a neck like a giraff! :D

RidgecrestCVO

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »

I went on a 300 mile ride this weekend with the 7JuRock windshield and I'm not to happy. I'm getting buffeting but different then with the stock windshield. I was cruising a lot between 75 and 85 mph and it was causing my shirt to beat me to death. I tried a few different things and like others have said most of the wind is coming from below. My head doesn't bob around as much as with the stock windshield but its just annoying, I like no windshield at all best. :(

jdm100

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

I bought the Juroock windshield but its for sale as I traded the bike for a Street Glide.

Its brand new,  OEM is 20 " wide by 15" high,   mine is 22" wide and 17" tall-- color light smoke(gray).    
It reduces the bufffeting from the stock windwhield quite abit, but not a full 100% but a Definite big improvement.

I am selling it for a substantial discount to the first interested CVO convertible member.
PM me  if interested.

Sold it AM 10/04
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:36:31 PM by jdm100 »

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »

pm sent
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »

sold the windshield  right out under neath of me  ,i was  the 1st person to post a pm sent    :o
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »

sold the windshield  right out under neath of me  ,i was  the 1st person to post a pm sent    :o
I have a complete Fat Boy King Size Windshield. Used it for 2 trips on my FLSTSE if your interested. Its like brand new. Also Sundowner seat for same.

E mail me Teamer@comcast.net

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »

the seat is mine :huepfenlol2:
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Proud50

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 02:15:51 AM »

Don:
Would like your feedback on which size Jurock windshield you added to your FLSTSE.   I am 5'10" and trying to figure out if I go with an 18" and look over the top or try the 20" or 21" to get full protection.   I rented an Electra glide in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and was very frustrated that the windshield was right at eye level so I wasn't comfortable ducking to look through it and couldn't comfortably see over it.   It looks like you got the tinted.   

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »

Just rode 300 miles with the stock windshield and open face helmet and I am 6ft 1"and didn't have a problem, ok it's not as good as my old fatboy screen. The stock screen makes a big difference to the strain factor on the arms at speeds over 60mph. I'm off on a 3000 mile trip in three weeks so I will let you know if I've changed my mind.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »

Don:

I bought a 17" unit, installed in 10 minutes and it is a much better.  I am 5' 9" and am able to see over the top.

This height works great for me.  I could do only another half inch or so.  I would suggest you get a 19" one.

If you call Jurock they will be happy to make suggestions to you as well,  they were helpful to me.   

There are several threads discussing windshields,  search "windshields" to check them out.   I posted some pictures of mine.

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »

I am 5' 11" and I just bought the JuRock 19".  IMO this was about 1" to tall.  It's at eye level for me and a pain but the worst thing is at night the Red Display unit reflects in the shield. I am not to happy with this set up. even at 18" the display still might reflect.

Proud50

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 12:05:46 AM »

I am using a 19" clear Jurock windshield on my FLSTSE.   I saw a lot of folks responding about changing their windshield and headlight to the FatBoy module, but I didn't want to give up the Convertible front fairing so I opted for the Jurock windshield.   Even once you decide to get a Jurock you'll need to determine best height.   I drew  some lines 1" apart on a piece of cardboard and experimented with height.   The trade off is blocking wind and getting bug coverage with your desire to have to view the road through a windshield.   I was concerned the taper of a 21" would create a viewing issue so I opted for a 19" which has been great for me.  I am 5'11" tall so I can comfortably see over the screen yet it is tall enough to block the majority of wind.   It took all the helmut shaking out of my ride which has been tremendously better.   I'm still hunting for a tree light that will work with the fairing, but that is another thread. 

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »

I am 6 foot and the 19" jurock works well
The wind deflectors do the most
I  took them off last week and could not believe how good they are
I put them back on the next day
Mike

Razor

• RAZOR
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010.5 FLHTCUSE5/BLK- #008
    • CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 07:55:41 PM »

I am curious if the new side pieces on the 2012 Convertable will work like the deflectors do. I'm not a fan of them but they do the job well. The 2012 does have a taller and wider shield not to mention the sat nav system.
RAZOR
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 21 queries.