Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLHRSEI2 - cleaning questions  (Read 2632 times)

rasmusmi

FLHRSEI2 - cleaning questions
« on: April 24, 2004, 10:34:19 AM »

Greetings to all, from a newbie!

My wife and I are fortunate enough to own both the 2003 FLHRSEI2 (my ride) and the 2003 FXSTDSE (my wife's ride).  Needless to say, we get a lot of attention when we ride in together! The bikes are awesome, and we have a lot of fun together (more than we used to when we rode two-up on my old 95th Anniv. Roadking).

At any rate, I was very happy to finally learn about this website devoted to CVO's only, and look forward to some great dialog in the future with other owners.

I am a detailing freak, and take particular pride and care in cleaning and poilshing our bikes.  So, with that in mind, I've got a couple questions for the Forum...

Has anyone considered (or actually done it).....having their polished disc wheels on the FLHRSERI2 chromed (or change out to matching chrome wheels)?  

The polished aluminum (esp. on the back wheel) is a pain in the "#@&" to clean and keep up!  

Also, I will not use a "paste type" poilsh to avoid scratching the surface of these wheel.....any suggestions for removing oxidation without scratching would be most appreciated!

Thanks to all who take time to respond!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: FLHRSEI2 - cleaning questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 10:39:14 PM »

Roadking I just wanted to take a moment to welcome you to this site.  It moves a little slow on the weekends (we assume, because everybody is out riding [smiley=laugh.gif]) but somebody will get back to you soon.

Or, you might post this question in the forum for the Screamin Eagle Road King.  This is the picture forum here and we all know that  [smiley=worthless.gif]   [smiley=laugh.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
  • Have you kicked your tires lately?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 04:39:51 AM »

Welcome to the board Roadking!   Here's my .02  I have a Sears bike lift that I use to raise my bike off the ground for cleaning.  It's nice to be able to just spin the rims for cleaning.   Also it's easier on your back over time.   In time I will be putting custom chrome wheels on my SERK but, until that time,  I just keep polishing the stock rims by hand.  I have used Mothers, Flitz and Wet Paint  on them with cotton baby diapers for a cleaning cloth or cotton facial cleansing pads that you can get in Walmart.  I don't think you will get away from having some very fine polishing scratches to some degree.  What are on my rims can only be seen from certain angles and doesn't take away from a clean, shiny polished rim.  I am considering trying jewlers rouge applied with a buffing wheel to see how that works.  It can be bought in stick form from a truck stop we have in our area.  
'03 FLHRSEI2

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 04:23:41 PM »

How about clearcoating the wheels??   i may do it.
stock for now

watsot

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 06:33:02 PM »

I agree with skooby on the lift.Then I polish with flitz.Then seal it up with zaino and wash normaly for 6 months then repeat the process.
2003 flhrsei2

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 04:34:33 PM »

I discovered that "Harley Glaze" which is designed for use on painted surfaces makes a wonderful polish for aluminum and leaves no scratch marks visible to the naked eye.  By the time I traded my FXD the aluminum shined like chrome using this stuff.  I then use a high quality carnuba wax to seal the surface from oxidation.  I know there is a clear powder coat (electrostaticly applied and baked on) which can be applied to aluminum wheels.  In fact this is the factory finish on BMW, Chevrolet, etc aluminum wheels.  So, if your looking for a clear coat try a powder coater.   The benifit to no clear coat is of course no coating to flake off.  The down side is more work to keep them polished.  But hey, I like to polish her in the middle of winter while I think about roads I will travel in the spring. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
dkm

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.