Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Stage I for FLHTCUSE...  (Read 3132 times)

urbanbiker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Stage I for FLHTCUSE...
« on: March 24, 2006, 12:58:21 AM »

I'm a newbie with an intact cherry. I don't pick up my new FLHTCUSE until tomorrow (my birthday). Happy birthday to ME! I kinda went from one end of the HD spectrum to the other. I've been riding a 99 FXDWG for the past 6 years. It's got a 95" kit, heads, cams, S&S G and a bunch of other stuff. It dyno's at 104 HP and 110 torque. It doesn't even have a windshield, so it's got a killer power/weight ratio.

So... Now I am now going the cushy route. But, being the horsepower junkie that I am, I had to have the 103. So much for history.

I would appreicate any recommendations from the forum's collective experience about Stage 1 mods. I've surfed the net for info, and read some posts here. I am soooooo confused.

Reinhart, Thunderheader, D&D, Super Trapps ??????
Mapping??? What is a biker to do? Harley? Thundermax, Terry?
I guess the K&N hi-flow filter is the only no-brainer part.

Any thoughts would appreciated.....

Urbanbiker

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Stage I for FLHTCUSE...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:32:38 AM »

I'm a newbie with an intact cherry. I don't pick up my new FLHTCUSE until tomorrow (my birthday). Happy birthday to ME! I kinda went from one end of the HD spectrum to the other. I've been riding a 99 FXDWG for the past 6 years. It's got a 95" kit, heads, cams, S&S G and a bunch of other stuff. It dyno's at 104 HP and 110 torque. It doesn't even have a windshield, so it's got a killer power/weight ratio.

So... Now I am now going the cushy route. But, being the horsepower junkie that I am, I had to have the 103. So much for history.

[highlight]I would appreicate any recommendations from the forum's collective experience about Stage 1 mods. I've surfed the net for info, and read some posts here. I am soooooo confused.

Reinhart, Thunderheader, D&D, Super Trapps ??????
Mapping??? What is a biker to do? Harley? Thundermax, Terry?
I guess the K&N hi-flow filter is the only no-brainer part.

Any thoughts would appreciated.....[/highlight]

Urbanbiker

Urban biker

I've been going through the same dilemma. My 06 CUSE should be here in a couple weeks. I've narrowed my choice down to 2. Reinhart pipes & HD race runner, or the freedom performance package. I think a lot depends on what future changes you think you
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 03:33:21 PM by 103tHunDer »
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 03:26:59 PM »

As was stated previously go with what your tuner, or whoever (if it's you) feel comfortable with installing.

One thing that, well two things that made me go with Race Tuner was...

1. Race Tuner is not a "Piggy Back" system as the Power Commander is, (PC is a device that tricks the ECM into doing certain things, where the Race Tuner actually reprograms the ECM) as it was explained to me. [smiley=confused5.gif]

2. My mechanic was more familiar with Race Tuner and suggested it (no sense in being a
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »

I'm a newbie with an intact cherry.
Urbanbiker

And another one of those infamous quotes  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Hey JC, maybe we need another thread, just for the one liners
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

urbanbiker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 07:48:50 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. OK, so here we go down the decision tree:

1. No-brainer on the HD hi-flow air cleaner kit.
2. Seems like the HD race tuner kit would be the best bet.
3. There is still a question on the pipes. My local tuner guy (who built my Wide Glide) says the D&D's are the best and that he has "taken off a lot of Reinharts". I also know that he does not sell Reinharts and, therefore makes no money on them. So... I will continue with my research. Although, maybe it makes no difference and the Reinhart, Thunderheader and D&D's would all be close performance-wise? Maybe I will look for a three-sided coin and flip it.

I picked up my new FLHTCUSE on Friday, 3/24. It is really great and warmer to ride than my FXDWG. It will take some getting used to, for sure. My FXDWG has forward controls and a lower center of gravity and no radio. (There were several occassions where I changed the radio station when I meant to activate the left turn signal.)

Any other thoughts will stll be appreciated.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 08:14:55 PM »

Urban Biker,

Here's the monkey wrench.  :o

I'd skip the newer version of the SE Breather kit!

I'd look directly to K&N for the real McCoy. Other's here really like the Ness Big Sucker and Doherty Power Pack.

Pipe choice's are endless....depends on what you like looks wise and where you want your hp/tq. The Fat Cat is an excellent choice. I'm interested to see the result's for the new Rinehart 2 into 1 which has a bonus of the O2 ports in case you decide to go closed loop later on.

Race Tuner or the Thundermax (new version due out w/closed loop capability) are my personal favorite's for tuning purpose's.

Good Luck!

Fatboy

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:12:18 AM »

The SE Air Cleaner PN 29440-99B is suggested in the #36 Calibration for 2006 CUSE in the SERT.  If you look at the box, is says it does not fit  the 06 CUSE.  It says the same for the other PN 29773-02B.  Apparently the SE cover will not match up with the K&N filter without another part number 29769-01 (Air Cleaner Adapter Kit).

[highlight]And you thought this was going to be easy![/highlight]

Put a few miles on you bike before you decide.  See if you have the cold [highlight]start issue[/highlight].  If so, then you may want to go with the SERT to allow you to adjust out the Lean condition causing the coughing and stalling.  I am not sure the other systems that piggy back to the ECM will help with this.  This may help make the decision on the SERT.

Pipes??? I will be attempting install of SuperTrapp 2:1.  I prefer the tunable type for the performance.  However, someone else had difficulty with fitment (they also had 6speed Trans).  If your dealer is installing, then I am sure they will sell what they know works vs what may be the best option.
[highlight](Is this getting in any easier?)[/highlight]

Good luck and don't worry, any decision is the right one.  Just ask anyone here... we all made the right decision... and we all have different equipment [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

urbanbiker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 09:44:04 AM »

Endless choices are the problem. But you are right, it is hard to make a disastriously bad choice if I pick from the top choices. I am going for max power first and looks second. I am a "function over form" kinda guy.

I will check K&N direct: I can't go wrong there.

I am going to ride it through the break-in period 500-1,000 miles before I do anything. So far, I have not had any cold start problems. I hit the button and it fires is 2 seconds, unlike my FXDWG.

Let me know how you do with the Super Trapps. They are certainly an interesting possibility.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 10:50:12 AM »

Urban,

I would tell you to go with the Ness Big Sucker.  It uses the K&N Filter and it works well.   It has built in passages that push any blow by back through the intake making it a very clean setup.

The other choice would be the Zippers kit which has the largest of all the air cleaners if your looking for considerations.

-harry

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 10:54:10 AM »

I am a firm believer that one should take the time to talk over with their service advisor , tech or both what it is they want out of their ride. Sometimes what you want creates conflict in setting the bike up. For instance " I want the baddest bagger around "   I want to ride coast to coast worry free "  Two extremes admittedly, but more people than not have some type of conflict in their expectations. So take the time to go over with whomever will be doing your work your riding style, expectations upon completion of the work etc. What I like on a road bike is an open breather, some type of ignition tuner (either a SERT or a PC) and a good set of aftermarket pipes. Hooker, Reinharts, Bassani etc That should be all you need for good useable perforamce while retaining the reliability you expect from a full on bagger. Once you start changing cams in a CVO 103 you need to change heads, you change heads you likely end up over the not so magic 10 to 1 compression border between reliability and perforance. Once you've got big cams and bigger heads you need a bigger throttle body and so and so on until what ? You've got a drag bike in disguise that you can't depend on to get you from sea to shining sea. If that's what you want Great, I do hold some fascination for that as it's a wolf in sheep's clothing thing, but be aware and be square dude.
Whatever you do, do it for yourself and don't worry about rest

urbanbiker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 03:52:10 PM »

Yeah! You are right. I will wait until at least after the break-in-period, about 1,000 miles. It is not good to be impulsive, usually.

I'm looking to modify the bike into a quiet, reliable coast-to-coast bagger-that-will-trash-every-other-bagger/non-bagger-on-the-highway. Won't happen, but it is a nice dream. Many of us on this site own Geezer Glides, and would like a balance between power and reliability.

It seems that the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage I does not fit the 06 FLHTCUSE. I am havng trouble getting a good confirmation that the Stage II does fit. Is this correct?

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 02:42:50 AM »

[highlight]I will check K&N direct: I can't go wrong there.[/highlight]

Let me know what you find out from K&N.  My dealer is checking with HD in the morning as she did not realize both boxes say it won't fit the 06 CUSE.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 07:34:01 AM »

Let me know what you find out from K&N.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 08:31:04 AM »

Magic, either of those breathers will fit. Many of us are running them. I wish I remembered the thread, but there is a [highlight]P&A  #  ??? [/highlight]that deals with the install.

Is it the little $8.95 Air Cleaner Gasket kit?  One of parts folks was aware of this part (came out in 2001) but said he was not sure if it fit 06 SE Cover.  I thought I had seen the same reference you mentioned but could not find it either.  

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 08:46:39 AM »

It seems that the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage I does not fit the 06 FLHTCUSE. I am havng trouble getting a good confirmation that the Stage II does fit. Is this correct?

Stage II doesn't fit either, I have it in my geerage right now.  Ness keeps pushing out when the backplate will be ready for '06 models, so I went with the SE.  I'm changing the paper SE filter out for a larger K&N from Zippers, and having the bike dyno'd at the same time, but not scheduled til the 17th.

The problem with the SE Air Kit on the '06 FLHTCUSE is it leaves a small gap at the top of the filter, mine has been on for over 4000 miles now and I've had ZERO problems with it.  It has nothing to do with how it performs, I think they are just concerned it might come loose or something.

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 09:33:26 AM »

The problem with the SE Air Kit on the '06 FLHTCUSE is it leaves a small gap at the top of the filter, mine has been on for over 4000 miles now and I've had ZERO problems with it.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 10:52:29 AM »

I have seen these work loose several times on my bikes.   Make sure you clean the crap off the screws then use blue locktite just dont over tighten them because you will wallow out the backplate and then you will need to replace the filter.  (experience tells me this) ::)

They may have checked em, but didnt locktite them.  benefit of the doubt heeh.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

urbanbiker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 02:34:40 PM »

I surfed the K&N site today looking for a high flow replacement air filter or kit for the CUSE and found nothing except filters for 88 motors. I then sent an email to K&N tech support asking them what they have, if anything, for the FLHTCUSE 103 motor. I will let you know what they say when they answer me, which might be around Christmas.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »

Has anyone with a 'CUSE tried placing the unmounted filter element into the cover to see where the rubber seal does and does not make contact?
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 09:34:53 PM »

Has anyone with a 'CUSE tried placing the unmounted filter element into the cover to see where the rubber seal does and does not make contact?

hdhiwayman

• Junior CVO Member
  • The nut between the handle bars and the saddle
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 07:57:14 AM »

Gentlemen, I have the 29440-99B S.E. air cleaner on my '06 CUSE. And it is true that the outboard or top rubber gasket does not seal 100% with the stock S.E. cover. This is do to the tapered shape and the embossing of the cover. But the filter element does not draw from the top side, it draws the air in around the circumference. So the top or outer rubber gasket does not function as a "seal" it just holds the cover in place (so it does not spin)if it is a stock TC88  or an S.E. cover. I have the same air cleaner on my '02 RK, I'll check to see if there is a 100% contact or seal with that cover, given the rounded shape of the TC88 cover both front to back and up and down I have to question if it seals 100%. "Ride safe" 8-)
2006 SE Autum Haze
Freedom Power package
A little bling bling
2002 Road King
Stage 2: Andrews cams w/Rineharts true duals and DFO
Too much to list
Yes I am a chromeaholic

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 10:16:34 AM »

The filter element does not draw from the top side, it draws the air in around the circumference. So the top or outer rubber gasket does not function as a "seal" it just holds the cover in place (so it does not spin)if it is a stock TC88
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:50:40 AM by magicl1 »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 21 queries.