Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bike shut down  (Read 2592 times)

todd444

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
bike shut down
« on: May 31, 2004, 08:31:27 PM »

hello all great site went to nyc to ground zero for fallen hero run had a problem was in alot of traffic by the time i got to ny the bike started to stall at stops but started right up one of the guys i was riding with told me it was the cylinders shutting down the bike temp was 280 degrees also by the time i parked the bike and shut it off ther was smoke coming out of the tail pipe any help would appreciate also what should the oil tep be own the screamin eagle road king.

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
Re: bike shut down
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 02:24:48 PM »

Don't know about the smoking tailpipe but I would bet what you are experiencing is the circuit breaker recall issue. Take it to your dealer and have them replace the main circuit breaker per the latest recall bulletin.

Case closed.

Good luck
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 02:26:24 PM »

However, after re reading your post it may have in fact been a heat issue. 280 degrees is muy hot!
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 03:53:10 PM »

todd444,
Odds are that since you were in heavy traffic you overheated your engine.  When the engine gets too hot it will begin to run extremely rough and stall.  You can keep the motor running by holding the RPMs at 2000 but you will just overheat the engine even more.  Most likely if you didn't try and keep your rpms up you didn't do any permanent damage.  I would suggest changing your oil as soon as possible because you may have degraded the oil considerably.  

h2oski

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 05:32:30 PM »

evidently H-D wondered ,too

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=g1;action=display;num=1057535698

note the old thread from over a year ago

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 07:28:51 PM »

Todd444,
Because of the hot weather down here (typically in the high 90's - 100's), I have the rough idle problem on occasion also while in heavy traffic. However, while reading through the manual for the Race tuner, I noticed that part of the ECM's job is to cool the engine down if the temp reaches a certain setting on the rear cylinder. The ECM stops firing the back cylinder in order to cool the engine down. I don't know that it actually stops the engine (I've never had it completely stop) but I have (on several occasions) experienced the rough idle that occurs when the one cylinder shuts down. As soon as you throttle up the missfiring goes away, but at makes for a really rough idle. At that point, I shut the engine off and start it only to move the few feet i'm going to move (while in heavy traffic). One time I ended up just pushing it the car length that I'd move every minute or so. I'd also make sure I have synthetic oil (withstands heat better!) in my engine if I were you. I run nothing but synthetic.  Other than shutting it down, I don't know what else you can do. Like I said, the synthetic oil made a noticable difference in the amount of heat generated during long idles. I've had it happen with both types of oils in my engine. It wasn't until I read the race tuner manual that I understood what was happening. [smiley=blank.gif]
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.