Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thoughts on Why We Ride  (Read 2200 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Thoughts on Why We Ride
« on: May 10, 2006, 05:40:22 PM »

Read this on a website...webBikeworld...good site for reviews on bikes, helmets, gloves, intercoms...all kinds of stuff. This was one of their reviewers thoughts when thinking about why it's important for a helmet to fit right...to keep the distraction down...

"We have a wacky theory for why people like to ride motorcycles, and it goes like this: The act of riding is a form of meditation, because the concentration that's required to safely ride a motorcycle tends to focus the mind in a way that eliminates other mental distractions that might interfere with the mission.  This creates a single-mindedness that, in effect, displaces the continuous stream of thoughts that normally flow through our consciousness.  

Thoughts about what to eat, who to meet, and worries about the common stresses of everyday life, such as pressures from work and home, disappear from our minds during the ride, because the concentration that's necessary to focus on the ride pushes those thoughts far into the background.  The result is that the mind becomes refreshed after a ride just like it would after a session of formal meditation or a relaxing vacation.

Just like some people get "hooked" on meditation, motorcyclists get hooked on riding because of the mental relief that it brings.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone discovers that endorphins or something are released during the act of riding.  I'm sure you've noticed that you can't "zone out" on a motorcycle like you can when driving a car.  Riding safe means being focused and alert at all times – which is one of the reasons why it's so important to stop and rest at frequent intervals when riding a motorcycle on a long trip."

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RedFXR2

Re: Thoughts on Why We Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »

"We have a wacky theory for why people like to ride motorcycles, and it goes like this: The act of riding is a form of meditation, because the concentration that's required to safely ride a motorcycle tends to focus the mind in a way that eliminates other mental distractions that might interfere with the mission.  This creates a single-mindedness that, in effect, displaces the continuous stream of thoughts that normally flow through our consciousness.  

The result is that the mind becomes refreshed after a ride just like it would after a session of formal meditation or a relaxing vacation.

This logic may be ironic but I figured that out on my own some years ago.  I once pondered just how someone could relax when they had to have their personal radar cranked to the max to deal with traffic and road conditions.  But like they said, riding forces you to concentrate, crowding out the random clutter of other thoughts.  I also think that's why time (and miles) seems to fly by when I ride.  I'm not thinking about anything else but the immediate and the next few seconds.

And yes, not "multi-tasking" for a while is truly relaxing.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 10:21:08 AM »

I have to admit that riding is somewhat Zen like for me. We all like the group rides on Sunday mornings but sometimes the hassle of meeting at a certain time, waiting for all the Johnny come latelys to show up, trying to appease everyones wants and dislikes is all its cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong with the right group of riders with the same mentality it is a great time. But for me after a trying day at work a quick shower and a hour ride through the backroads is like a mind eraser.Clears you out from the rigamoroll of the day. I love it. My .02.   Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 10:29:50 AM »

But for me after a trying day at work a quick shower and a hour ride through the backroads is like a mind eraser.Clears you out from the rigamoroll of the day. I love it. My .02.   Q

With family demands this is what I do a lot.  I have a favorite 49 mile loop from the beach through the back country and back to the house without backtracking.  Little traffic--mostly very rural.  All by myself (except that I almost always always see other riders out there doing the same thing--we wave).  Perfect to decompress in the evenings or between weekend commitments.

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »

I have to admit that riding is somewhat Zen like for me. We all like the group rides on Sunday mornings but sometimes the hassle of meeting at a certain time, waiting for all the Johnny come latelys to show up, trying to appease everyones wants and dislikes is all its cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong with the right group of riders with the same mentality it is a great time. But for me after a trying day at work a quick shower and a hour ride through the backroads is like a mind eraser.Clears you out from the rigamoroll of the day. I love it. My .02.   Q

I got to agree with you on this BigDaddy. Very rarely we start off on time on the Sunday rides and the unplanned stops. Sometimes it feels more like bar hopping than riding. The ride to and from work on the bike seems to the most enjoyable when I can work around the rush hour traffic.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:32:11 AM by BK »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 05:42:48 PM »

I got to agree with you on this BigDaddy. Very rarely we start off on time on the Sunday rides and the unplanned stops. Sometimes it feels more like bar hopping than riding. The ride to and from work on the bike seems to the most enjoyable when I can work around the rush hour traffic.

I thought I was the only one experiencing this. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I've often gone to meet up w/other riders assuming we were going to take a "ride". When I show up to "ride" I'm gassed up (fuel and stomach) and prepared to ride. Often I've met w/other riders only to find out we need to stop for gas, and after riding thirty minutes we have to stop for food (and this isn't supposed to be a lunch/dinner run [smiley=confused5.gif]). Mind you this doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it makes you wish you had just taken off on your scooter by yourself. It can be so much more relaxing just to ride alone, and free your mind of the daily grind.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 09:33:16 AM »

[highlight]I thought I was the only one experiencing this[/highlight].  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Nope dOOd I think that is a rider epidemic. It probably happens more often than not. Lazy bastards ruining my Sunday morning ride. But who can ride around here lately its rained for 40 days and nights and will trading in my SERK for a canoe [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 12:06:04 PM »

Gary,
       Hate to sound cynical, but I have the people I know with H-D's catagorized into two groups. The riders and the profilers. The only place I go with the profilers is Pacific Coast Highway where it's fun to stop every 10 miles or so and watch the bikes, hotrods and babes in bikinis.  If I want to go on a nice weekend ride, I'll set something up with the riders - - -except for one extreme guy. He likes to ride to El Paso for lunch

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »

TCnBham, thanks for posting that quote. Sure explains a lot to me; why I like things 'just right'. Not smart enough to figger it out on my own  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
Best riding for me is with wife and I and a few close friends. Four, five or six bikes, riders connected mentally; anticipating, executing, moving as one.  
If I'm riding alone I tend to start concentrating on 'performance'... but then, that's okay, isn't it? [smiley=yes.gif]  Whoa..I think I need to leave work early. .  [smiley=tr_4.gif]  

d00d and others with group-ride-itis;
Our HOG chapter had the same problems with late-shows and "I'll-be-there-wait-for-me"s. Cured it by stating in our newsletter and on the HOGline, "Ride time listed is leaving time, kickstands up. Get there half hour early with a full tank and an empty bladder so we can go over the route."  9 AM ride...we pull out at 9 AM. Couple of missed rides and the laggards learned.  [smiley=whip.gif]

If it's not a 'ride to eat' there won't be a food stop... if you need food, when we stop for gas in about 100 miles you can get a coke and candy bar.  So, riding with our HOG group has gotten lots better over the years.  But still the bigger the group, the less relaxing it is.

Garz   [smiley=smoking.gif]
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 10:01:04 AM »

Garz sounds like you have your HOG group down the way we like it. But sometimes you want to ride with some Bro's in smaller groups and thats where the "itis" comes in we have no newsletter to refer too, but know we just leave when we say were going to leave and the latelies can play catch up. Later,Q

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 08:15:16 PM »

Bike- Check   Fuel- check   Me-check   later!!!
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 05:43:59 AM »

I thought I was the only one experiencing this. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I've often gone to meet up w/other riders assuming we were going to take a "ride". When I show up to "ride" I'm gassed up (fuel and stomach) and prepared to ride. Often I've met w/other riders only to find out we need to stop for gas, and after riding thirty minutes we have to stop for food (and this isn't supposed to be a lunch/dinner run [smiley=confused5.gif]). Mind you this doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it makes you wish you had just taken off on your scooter by yourself. It can be so much more relaxing just to ride alone, and free your mind of the daily grind.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

I tell you this is the most amazing thing for us too.  There is a Sunday breakfast and ride every week.  We have pulled away from breakfast twice with others in tow, and they both left us before final destination.  If we have a huge breakfast, then we are good till dinner, and usually ride 200-400 mile days just heading that-a-way.  People want to know what is the destination?  I think it should simply be nirvana via the two lane roads, and if you want to share, come on, let's go.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »

.  Just like some people get "hooked" on meditation, motorcyclists get hooked on riding because of the mental relief that it brings.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone discovers that endorphins or something are released during the act of riding.

You nailed it.

This is what differentiates us from the general public. Because of our way of life, we live a better life.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 06:33:07 PM by Scooterhair »
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 07:42:31 PM »

Agreed...got there today while riding.  I'm tired, but it's really good kind of tired   [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 08:42:03 PM »

Garz sounds like you have your HOG group down the way we like it. But sometimes you want to ride with some Bro's in smaller groups and thats where the "itis" comes in we have no newsletter to refer too, but know we just leave when we say were going to leave and the latelies can play catch up. Later,Q

BD, I guess it's a matter of courtesy. If a small group is going somewhere, we've usually talked about it and everyone understands the 'leaving' time. It's been a long time since we've waited on a lately.  Come to think of it, the latelies don't ride with us anymore  ;)

Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.