Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Considering a 180" on the rear..  (Read 1620 times)

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
Considering a 180" on the rear..
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:20:29 AM »

My wife is nearing 20k on the ConV and we have replaced the rear tire once already.

Her main complaint about the ConV is the fact that as the rear tire gets worn, the bike doesn't handle as well the curves. The tires tend to wear flat on the bottom making it want to stand up straight to the point where you can hear the tires sing on the curves and you have to lean real hard.

I never had this problem on any of my other bikes; 06' Dyna Low Rider 160" later adding 170",  06' CVO UC 150", or the new 11' CVO UC 180"

The bike handles great on the new tires but over time it doesn't want to lean into the curves.

Has anyone put a slightly narrower rear tire on their ConV?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Considering a 180" on the rear..
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:33:38 PM »

There is approximately .9" + or - difference between a 200 and a 180 in overall width.  Most 180 tires are recommended for a 5.0-5.5" wide wheel.  200's are recommended for a 6.0-6.25" wheel.  I'm no fitment expert, but that could be a problem. Probably should consult the tire manufacturer to see if it would work on the rims width you have on the bike.

I seriously doubt that < 1/2" on either side of centerline on the tire would make a huge difference in wear patterns, or handling characteristics in turns.  Some, but not significant.

Most tires on bikes wear in the center more than anywhere else, though the newer multiple compound tires are somewhat better in that respect, regardless of size.  Assuming that the tire stays properly inflated (42psi loaded, for the Convertible).

When you say the bike has to be leaned hard to make it turn once the tire starts wearing flatter, do you mean that more force has to be applied to the handlebar in countersteering, or that her body has to be leaned over further to make the bike turn?  Body lean should never be what initiates a turn, so I assume you mean the latter.   :nixweiss:

Whatever the case, I don't see a 200 to 180 making much of a difference in handling.  Just ride more curvy roads... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »

My wife is nearing 20k on the ConV and we have replaced the rear tire once already.

Her main complaint about the ConV is the fact that as the rear tire gets worn, the bike doesn't handle as well the curves....The bike handles great on the new tires but over time it doesn't want to lean into the curves.

Has anyone put a slightly narrower rear tire on their ConV?

I haven’t, but when I put new OE 18” front and rear rubber on my ’09 SG, it felt like a different motorcycle; quite a remarkable difference.  Your Wife’s issue isn’t unique to the 200 on her Convertible; although the 200’s don’t seem to wear as long. If she is getting nearly 10k apiece out of the rear tire, she’s doing very well, IMO.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »

I agree, it isn't something unique to a Convertible.  All bikes handle differently as the tires wear and the profile becomes flatter, and it's just as noticeable with the 140's on my SEEG as it would be on 180's or even 200's on another bike.  One of the reasons tire companies suggest "breaking in" new tires for the first 100 miles has to do with the rider becoming acclimated to the different feel of a new tire.  The change in handling as the tires wear is gradual and you tend to compensate without really noticing, but the change when you go from worn out to brand new is instant.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »

I agree, it isn't something unique to a Convertible.  All bikes handle differently as the tires wear and the profile becomes flatter, and it's just as noticeable with the 140's on my SEEG as it would be on 180's or even 200's on another bike.  One of the reasons tire companies suggest "breaking in" new tires for the first 100 miles has to do with the rider becoming acclimated to the different feel of a new tire.  The change in handling as the tires wear is gradual and you tend to compensate without really noticing, but the change when you go from worn out to brand new is instant.

Jerry

I agree with Jerry's point...with a new tire on the bike, it almost feels like the bike falls into the turn when you first ride it after installation.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »

Thanks Guys,

Yeah we only seem to get around 10k out of both tires on the ConV.

The front one could go further but cupping has started again like the first on did.

I do so much better on the CVO UC, I'm at 15k on the original tires but it's time for a change.

I didn't look into it far enough to see how much of a difference in the width of the rim (rear).
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Proud50

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:17:38 PM »

I purchased my CVO convertible with 5000 miles.  Cornering felt so forced that I question whether the bike was the right choice.  At 10,000 miles I replaced both tires with Metzger 880 and am amazed at the improved riding.  No more forcing my hands to make a turn.  It still is not near as smooth as my other 2 bikes in corners but it's my favorite to ride.   

Mount'nman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: FXSBSE (2014)
    • Family Web Site
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 12:00:59 AM »

I noticed the handling deterioration at 10,000 mi. but went another 2,500 before replacing both tires... won't do that again...  10k on my 2011 conV seems to be the safe limit.
Bike... and family protected by Ruger

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.