Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade in a NICE FXR2 on a street glide... NOW WRECKED.... BOOO!  (Read 3523 times)

Skilter

Trade in a NICE FXR2 on a street glide... NOW WRECKED.... BOOO!
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:40:07 PM »

I have a very nice FXR2 SE... It is stock with 16K+ miles on it. I am new to Harleys... but I think I want a bagger to do better road trips to see my friends in Austin and San Antonio (I live in Dallas). I am really thinking of trading this bike in to get a nice bagger SG. Thoughts? Am I crazy?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:22:43 PM by Skilter »

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
Re: Trade in a NICE FXR2 on a street glide...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »

As an FXR3 owner, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.  That being said, the Street Glide is BadASS!  I would like to own one, and if I ever get a 2nd bike, the SG would be the one. 

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »

Nope...happens all the time.  I know a lot of people including myself that started out with a road bike or bar hopper, something that looks and sounds cool.  I remember saying, I just want a bike to tool around town.  My friends always told me that's how it starts out next thing you know it your more comfortable bike.  Then you start thinking you need music and a fairing, and then you start thinking, musics not loud enough and so on and so on!  Good Luck!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »

You're not crazy..as stated above, a lot of us started on bar hoppers and wanted more comfort for longer trips, which turns into a radio, and so on and so on......and then you wake up one day and you're into a CVO for 50 grand!!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »

Just to present the opposing view, there are also more than a few folks who moved onward and upward who now wish they had found a way to keep that older model that is no longer produced.  I have no idea of your financial situation, but if you are really attached to that FXR2 and can swing owning two bikes, you might want to negotiate the best deal possible on the SG and keep the FXR2.  Current book value of an FXR2 in excellent condition is around $5k trade and $7k retail.  Unless you have a much better dealer than most, you'd be lucky to get $5k in trade.

The FXR in my humble opinion was one of the very best models Harley ever produced.  If you really want to get rid of it, offer it for sale on this site.  I'm sure it will generate interest and you might do better than trading with a dealer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Skilter

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »

Well ... don't worry about it now. It was a beautiful day here in Dallas and I took it out for a ride and got cut off, side swiped and had to lay it down in to a retaining wall. I am lucky. No helmet and nothing but a cracked femur, road rash and a big gash where the peg took out a half dollar size of my calf.

SUCKSSS!!!!... The F'er that cut across a solid white line and swerved back kept going west bound. Well... I have to say this. I am a lucky SOB. No helmet... found the brake in time to lay it down and protect my head going about 40 mph on an overpass... I could have gone over the wall if I had not had training on how to lay the thing down. If I was on an open road, I probably could have saved the thing but dropping 3 stories to the ground didn't seem very appealing at the time.

Funny thing is... I always thought I would see my life go before my eyes... All I saw was "right mirror left mirror truck behind me go left lay it down and stick the front wheel in the wall. After that... bleeding... I was like F...! Then came the 4 hour hospital stay.

Tonight really sucks...

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »

Well ... don't worry about it now. It was a beautiful day here in Dallas and I took it out for a ride and got cut off, side swiped and had to lay it down in to a retaining wall. I am lucky. No helmet and nothing but a cracked femur, road rash and a big gash where the peg took out a half dollar size of my calf.

SUCKSSS!!!!... The F'er that cut across a solid white line and swerved back kept going west bound. Well... I have to say this. I am a lucky SOB. No helmet... found the brake in time to lay it down and protect my head going about 40 mph on an overpass... I could have gone over the wall if I had not had training on how to lay the thing down. If I was on an open road, I probably could have saved the thing but dropping 3 stories to the ground didn't seem very appealing at the time.

Funny thing is... I always thought I would see my life go before my eyes... All I saw was "right mirror left mirror truck behind me go left lay it down and stick the front wheel in the wall. After that... bleeding... I was like F...! Then came the 4 hour hospital stay.

Tonight really sucks...

Sorry to hear of the wreck, but glad youre able to be here to share the story

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Trade in a NICE FXR2 on a street glide... NOW WRECKED.... BOOO!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »

That sucks!!!  Althought I am gald to hear you are able to talk about it....it could have been much worse.

CityLights

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: FLHCUSE7
    • CVO3: FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »

Man Oh Man they're out to kill us ....You went down with your bike at 40mph  in traffic on an overpass into a retaining wall with no helmet and you walked away (kinda). THANK YOU LORD !!!!  Glad that in a little time you will be as good as new .
Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope , soft underfoot , without sudden turnings , without milestones , without signpost's.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »

Might want to do a Tebow, someone was watching out for you.  Get well soon.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »

Sorry to hear about the crash.  The results seem to be as good as could be in that situation. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »

Just to present the opposing view, there are also more than a few folks who moved onward and upward who now wish they had found a way to keep that older model that is no longer produced.  I have no idea of your financial situation, but if you are really attached to that FXR2 and can swing owning two bikes, you might want to negotiate the best deal possible on the SG and keep the FXR2.  Current book value of an FXR2 in excellent condition is around $5k trade and $7k retail.  Unless you have a much better dealer than most, you'd be lucky to get $5k in trade.

The FXR in my humble opinion was one of the very best models Harley ever produced.  If you really want to get rid of it, offer it for sale on this site.  I'm sure it will generate interest and you might do better than trading with a dealer.

Jerry
Although it's now irrelevant, I agree.  I have the FXR4 and a Street Glide.  Everytime I ride I think about what to choose.  I'm very fortunate to have that option.  I'll never sell the FXR4.  At MV2010, I brought both!
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.