Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Break In and Stock Windshield  (Read 5018 times)

CVOBO

Break In and Stock Windshield
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »

Hi everyone, I am brand new to this forum and plan on picking up my new CVO next week. (Blue) In fact, my plan is to pick it up in Meridian, Mississippi and ride it down to Delray Beach, Florida.  I am planning on doing a easy break in the first day with about a 100 miles then change the oil and then spend the next 400 or so on the back roads before I hit the highways and change the oil again around the 500 mark. Hopefully the weather will hold and I will have the discipline to maintain the RPMs. That said, I am 6' about 225 with a 30" inseam (all torso).  I am use to a 12" windshield on my street glide and  was debating whether to deal with the stock windshield for the trip home or order a 12" Klockwerks (I am open to other suggestions as well). I have read that the stock windshield seems to be worthless.  The trip is approximately 850 miles which I plan on doing over 3 or 4 days and I would prefer to have most of the wind out of my face.

I am also open to any other suggestions as well. Such as good accommodations, sites to see, etc... I am planning on heading down to the panhandle and then across Florida.

Thank you.
Beau

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Candy Cobalt/Twilight BLUE RG
Re: Break In and Stock Windshield
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »

The stock shield isn't gonna keep squat out of your face, lol, just hope you don't get caught in the rain.  Buffeting isn't too bad, but I guess it depends on what you like.  I can tell you that I'll be ordering a clear view for mine very soon.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »

my first oil change was at 1k miles, didn,t baby it 2800 to 4000 rpm.  my advice is to make sure you can hang with the handle bars you will know in a couple of hour if you can or not. windshield change is a must if there still using the small 3 incher. good luck
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Dare

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE "Candy"
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE Road Glide "Mink" Brown-Sold
    • CVO3: Not a CVO 93 Fat Boy-Sold
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »

First off congrats on the new ride, I really love my Molly Girl, as to the windshield, I am 6ft 200 lbs 32 inseam and I tend to roll down into the fairing as the wind catches me mid face and moves my shades all around but once i roll into her it goes away.  The stock windshield does a pretty good job but I would go another 2-4 inches above stock to really feel comfortable on a long ride. The Klockworks for me on other bikes was a great choice.
Minor Mods to be coming

CVOBO

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.  I am a bit concerned about the bars, I currently have Wild One Chubby's 14" Apes on my Street Glide and love them. I put 4000 miles on my bike with them in 12 days and could have rode much more.  I was contemplating having the dealer replace the bars before I pick the bike up but I was feeling frugal about leaving the stock bars behind.  Does Harley make a decent ape hanger?  

As for the windshield I will probably go to a Klockwerks. What are peoples thoughts on height?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:26:16 PM by CVOBO »

Guthrie52

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new bike!  what color?

I have a 6.5 inch Clearview on my Street Glide.  At 5'8", (I sit tall), I see an inch over the top.   On my CVO Road Glide, I have a GT 13 Clearview, which measures 11 inches vertical from the top of the speedometer  (you can doublecheck on their web site.)  I see an inch over the top as well.   Tried a Klockworthless on my Street Glide and didn't make it out of my neighborhood.

The stock shield may get you where you are going, and then you can decide without the rush.  My 2 cents.

Enjoy the ride!

CVOBO

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »

Thanks G-52- I bought the blue one.  Loved the dark maple but my favorite color is Blue so I had to go with it.   Love the Skunk too!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:35:15 PM by CVOBO »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »

If you have a long torso, I would not jump into either bars or windshield.  There are better windshields than stock, but you need to figure out how easy it is to see over it in your "normal" riding position.  How long are your arms?  Dress shirt length.

I might change the oil at 100 miles, but after that, would not worry about it until 1K, then pick the product of your choice.  It's really not necessary to change at 100, but if it makes you feel better, then do it.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:09 PM »

Congrats on the new sled ..
Most dealers have a display of Klock windsheilds and will let you put one as test drive before you actually buy one .. I would try one in Meridian ( super nice people there at Chunky River HD ) to find what ya like before hittin the road ..
After leaving there might ease on down to Biloxi Ms or even Mobile Al HD dealers and do that oil change thing and take a break ..
Whatever ya decide I think thats gonna be a great get acquainted time for yall .. MOD ON .. :coolblue:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »

Hey BO, 

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new SERG Custom!  I may have some different options for your consideration.  Firstly, your break-in strategy is certainly the "old school" tried but not necessarily true one.  I'd suggest you use the search engine here as there have been several threads on the issue and some very experienced mechanical types have weighed in.  The technique I have used successfully can be viewed here:  Motorcycle Break-In Secrets.  The site talks about Dyno, Street and Track break-in procedures.  Here is the Street version I've used on three bikes, two of which I still have:

Warm the engine up completely:
Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.

Something to consider....

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:58:54 PM »

Okay, let me say a bit about Windshields.  Note I ride an '09 SERG and the fairing has been tipped slightly in the newer models.  I have not heard of any of the windshield companies making any changes, however.  (I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.)The day I picked up the SERG, I put on a 12" Windvest.  It was fine up to about 40 mph; useless above that speed.  At your height, I can't imagine it will work for you.  It looks good on the bike but is flimsy, at best!  Mine vibrated horribly at idle and slow speeds.  Here is a shot of it on the bike:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »

After the Klockwerks, I tried the Clearview (Okay but boring.)  Wound up with and still have the Cee Bailey's 14" dark made speciffically for the SERG.   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:  Here is the story and pictures:  SERG AND CVO: VERY GOOD TO ME! NEXT?  You would likely want to go an inch or two higher. 

Hope this helps.  Here is a shot:

Sawyer Brown

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »

The stock 12 wind splitter windshield on the 12 CVO road glide is better for me than the Klock 12. 

I also tried the HD Wind splitter 15, I thought it was worse than the 12, so I took it back.

I have the Cee Baily Eurosport 14" for the 09S SERG on it now, better than stock, looks good but I need it an inch taller.  I ran this one for a year on the 09, it's a little better on the 12 than the 09.  I also have a clear view that is what they call 1 inch shorter than stock, which is the best, but looks are not as good.

I am 6' 1" with a 34 inseam.  If I get a new shield it will be a stock height Clear View or a 16 inch Cee Baily.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVOBO

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »

Money sent, insurance bound and plane ticket bought.  Can't wait.

Anybody have any experience with the Zumo 655 GPS with satellite radio? I like the Iron Aces Mount. Is the satellite feature hard wired or does it have to connect through the aux on the front of the radio?

Thanks!

Beau

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »

Money sent, insurance bound and plane ticket bought.  Can't wait.

Anybody have any experience with the Zumo 655 GPS with satellite radio? I like the Iron Aces Mount. Is the satellite feature hard wired or does it have to connect through the aux on the front of the radio?
Thanks!
Beau

That's a loaded question  ;)  Congrats on going to get the bike.  There are several options for the whole GPS/XM radio thing.  If you get the Garmin Zumo 665, yes, you will have to connect it up through the AUX port to hear XM, MP3, or navigation prompts.  If you get the HD Roadtech 665, you have additional options:  Purchase the NIM (navigation interface module), do some wiring modifications, and have the GPS navigation prompts going into the HK head unit and out the speakers without the need for the AUX cable.  However, you'd still need the cable to hear the XM or MP3's stored on the GPS.  Or, you can get the Roadtech 660, the HD XM module for the radio, the NIM, and even the Ipod interface and make it all work like the SE Ultras do.  The HD catalog and dealers tell you it (the NIM) can't be done, but they are incorrect.  There are several threads on here on how to get that done.  The advantage to the 665 over the 660 is the Weather display, if you need it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.