Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sleepy Hands  (Read 4644 times)

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
Sleepy Hands
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone elses hands start to fall asleep while riding.  I find my hands sleeping while going down the highway.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Sleepy Hands
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone elses hands start to fall asleep while riding.  I find my hands sleeping while going down the highway.

That would be caused by your handlebars.  If your reach causes your elbows to be locked that is pinching your nerves that run down your arms into your hands.  Anytime your handlebar reach locks your elbows you need to get a seat that pushes you forward or bars that come back further so you are not reaching so far.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:11:34 PM »

Maybe you need a quik trip to the doctor, possible there is more to this than you think. I kept noticing my upper arm (left) hurt when riding. After a quik trip to Daytona I had a heart attack  ( I was 54 then). Main feeder to that area of the body was plugged 99%. A couple stints was all it took, and maybe I am over cautious now. But it is not normal for your hands to become numb.

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:13:15 PM »

I put some 12 in mini apes on my bike and my right arm started getting numb...Tried to move them a little closer but it hasnt helped

Joe

Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

CVOJIMMYC

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: MY BSR "shes a sweet ride too"
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »

I get the same thing,  I also believe it's a reach thing, I had it on my 06 88" flhxi so i had cruise put on, so i could shake it off while riding, now i'm certain this is not the recommended fix more of a band-aid i guess. You might try your local stealer for a custom seat/handle bar fitment for your machine. for what  my two cents is worth there ya go.. good luck
My favorite color is chrome

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »

Are you guys sure your not holding on to tight to your bars (like a death grip)  My buddy kept telling me his hands were numb,So I was watching his actions when we were riding, He was just holding on to tight  :nixweiss:

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:42:35 AM »

You know it could be a death grip thing, that in combination with my gloves.  I am going to try a ride without the gloves and see if that makes a difference.  When I rode it earlier today I did notice my right hand sleeping and I also noticed I have a much tighter grip on the throttle...
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

icufltrn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 fltruse
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »

I had the same thing when I had stock bars and on my previous bike with drag bars.  I have an old neck injury. I switched to apes and it is much better. The still tingle at times but nothing like before.  It is mostly the first three fingers on my right hand. The cruise helps so I can shake it out.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »

They sell gloves with the gel insert in the palm area that can help on bars that have vibs.  Alternating hands and cruise control are both methods that have worked for me over the years.  Feet still present a bigger problem than hands usually tho in dealing with the vibs.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »

It only happens to me on my right hand.  I don't hold on tightly at all.  I was thinking it was the stock bars on the sesg but it happens also on my 04 with 575s o.  So I'm not sure what to do now.  To make the changes on the new bike,I know it's gonna be expensive too.  New cutch line, brake line and extending wires in bars.   I'd hate to do all that and it's the same thing.  I am on a mustang seat with a backrest and it puts me in a good place on the bike.   Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:50:19 PM by cvostu »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »

My right hand does it on occasion as well...never the left.  Riding (when cruising) with the old method I've always used...two fingers covering the front brake lever...forces your grip to loosen a bit.  That might help some.  Judicious use of the cruise control will work for sure, allowing you to "shake it out".  I've never had Apes on a bike, but did have "buckhorns", or pullbacks, on an old Panhead one time long ago and far away, which made my hands higher than my shoulders, and my hands would go numb more easily.  And that was when I was in my early 20's, not 60.  IMO, ideally, your hands should be at or near the same level as your uppper arm/shoulder to allow good circulation, and not locked straight out at the elbow, as CVOgirl said.  Too low or too high makes for bad circulation when riding.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »

I went for a ride today and paid lots of attention to my sitting position.  I leaned my backrest  a bit more forward to keep from extending my arms too much. I really don't think it's the bars at all.  I'll try this for a while.  See if things get better.     . 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 05:51:26 PM »

It only happens to me on my right hand.  I don't hold on tightly at all.  I was thinking it was the stock bars on the sesg but it happens also on my 04 with 575s o.  So I'm not sure what to do now.  To make the changes on the new bike,I know it's gonna be expensive too.  New cutch line, brake line and extending wires in bars.   I'd hate to do all that and it's the same thing.  I am on a mustang seat with a backrest and it puts me in a good place on the bike.   Any oth suggestions?
Just be thankful for the cruise control on that scooter and use it to rest your paw and ride on Stu.  ;) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 06:37:13 AM »

If it is the right hand only it may be associated with you grip on the throttle.  But there is also a nerve that effects the thumb and next two fingers on your right hand that may be getting pinched.  If your head is tilted back too far or some combination of your head, neck and shoulder is out of alignment you can put your thumb and two fingers to "sleep" if you pinch the nerve.

I'd go to the doctor at any rate.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »

Or at least get a massage.  :drink: har.  spyder
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.