Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I admit it - I don't get it, engine power that is.  (Read 3314 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
I admit it - I don't get it, engine power that is.
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »

OK so please help me understand.  I respect and understand that for many there is never enough.  But does anyone truly feel that the current 110" engine does not produce sufficient power in its stock configuration for the type of riding most of us do?  I was out on my '12 cuse7 today and got a chance to wind it up several times.  Now I'll admit that with my '99 flhtcui with the original 88" twinkie the power left something to be desired, especially loaded and two-up.  But I gotta say this 110" pulls like a demon and I personally don't know what I would/could do with more.  I don't see the need to make changes for more power.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
Re: I admit it - I don't get it, engine power that is.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »

yes sir - low revs do leave a lot to be desired compared to the 88.

The 110 ca be a fury - but only if it will be freed of those EPA-induced restrictions MoCo had to build in.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »

OK so please help me understand.  I respect and understand that for many there is never enough.  But does anyone truly feel that the current 110" engine does not produce sufficient power in its stock configuration for the type of riding most of us do?  I was out on my '12 cuse7 today and got a chance to wind it up several times.  Now I'll admit that with my '99 flhtcui with the original 88" twinkie the power left something to be desired, especially loaded and two-up.  But I gotta say this 110" pulls like a demon and I personally don't know what I would/could do with more.  I don't see the need to make changes for more power.

I agree 100%, Jerry.  The only thing I did was exhaust and the TTS, but that was more to just let the motor breathe a little better and reduce the heat a little bit.  But even bone stock, it has plenty of power.  The stock cams are great right where you ride 90% of the time, and the bike pulls like a train when passing, etc.  I wouldn't change anything unless something broke and I had to go into the motor anyway, and then I'd just upgrade a few parts for quality purposes.

But for riding like we do, these bikes are all I need with regards to power.  Certainly a large improvement over the 103" in my '06.  Big seat of the pants difference to me.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »

Great point and question that reminds me of a true story:  Some years ago, a friend of mine asked me what to do to make his Porsche faster.  There used to be quite an aftermarket like for Harleys.  (It's more restricted now.)  I asked him how often he had "floored" the gas pedal.  He replied that he had never!  I suggested he try that a couple of times and see if that was fast enough for him.  Sure enough, it was.   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2: 

I'm sure we could apply that story to our 110s.  How many of us have really twisted the throttle in the power band and not gotten enough acceleration?  On the other hand, power is relative.  It's what you're used to.  Maybe that's why we always want more.    :angel:   :xyxthumbs:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »

From the 88 and 96 ci that I have owned, it is easier to ride, with enough passing power to overcome and if need be a little more. I ran mine since new in 09 with only Rinehart slipons and a flash with the SESPT, that was it. I only just changed my header and a proper dyno tune to get what I feel is a better running engine, like a proverbial "ahhh, finally, I can breath". Heat is reduced, engine does not go into "limp mode" as much and it sounds better. I had a friend that had an 09 SERG and he went with the 113" upgrade right out of the crate, and for what he spent on it to get it that way, it never did run right, so I guess you take your chances when you want the extra ponies, if it's done right and you're happy, being too spendy should not be relevant because cost versus hp output are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I'm happy today because there's only two weeks before the Spokane GTG, woohoo. :pineapple: :pepper:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »

I agree 100%, Jerry.  The only thing I did was exhaust and the TTS, but that was more to just let the motor breathe a little better and reduce the heat a little bit.  But even bone stock, it has plenty of power.  The stock cams are great right where you ride 90% of the time, and the bike pulls like a train when passing, etc.  I wouldn't change anything unless something broke and I had to go into the motor anyway, and then I'd just upgrade a few parts for quality purposes.

But for riding like we do, these bikes are all I need with regards to power.  Certainly a large improvement over the 103" in my '06.  Big seat of the pants difference to me.

One of my first posts when I got the '12 said I couldn't believe how strong it was stock.  I rode for 1,000 miles wondering if I'd made a mistake spending the coin on the Race Tuner and Fullsac exhaust that I'd already ordered .... it felt that good.  I completely agree with Terry's comment, that my 103 SEEG didn't come anywhere close to feeling as lively stock-for-stock.  And now with just the Fullsac exhaust on the 110, it feels just as good (actually, better on the low-end) as my 103 did with cams and exhaust, the only exception being that the 103 with Rineharts loved to be wound out, where with the 110, it's all over by 4,500, or so.

It's really impressive how this big-ass, heavy bike runs.  I pulled out from 65 to pass a semi on the way home from a short ride yesterday.  From 6th gear (no downshifting), it was up to 85 before I got up alongside.  Those stock cams have crazy low-end power.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »

Most of us are animals of HABIT, As guys we want to tweak it to make it  faster,stronger You no what I mean

We want to play with our new toy  ;)  To much power...  COME ON!      LOL

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »

I don't see the need to make changes for more power.

I'm with you Jerry.
I have changed a few things on the 11.5 not so much to gain more power but to achieve better efficiency.
The 11.5 has the Fullsac Sport pipe, the 2.0 Fullsac baffles, the Woods TW7H cams and the numbers are 104/118.
But the goal wasn't numbers, the goal was efficiency.
Being efficient is so dependent on a good tune.
The 11.5 was tuned by Bob at RC Cycles through Jim at Metal Dragon.
Riding solo under 80 mph typically gets me over 50 mpg.
Riding two up under 80 mph mileage is 46 to 49.
And when it's time to twist the throttle, the bike just goes and goes.
And for me that's good enough. Good enough that I plan to do the same to the 12 SERG.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »

The only way to answer that question is with another question.  Q: Why does a dog lick his balls? A: Because he can.  Nuff said? :bananarock:

I happen to like going much too fast, feeling sheer power from 0 to 90.......

Joe
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »

i agree with Big Dog! Just did a run on friday- 3.5 hours down a four lane and she cruised along at 130km/hr with lots more in reserve. Can't use the torque and power she has with only going with V&H slip ons and the tuner. More than satisfied.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »

You have a good point, Jerry...

I'm always messing with my motor - to the point of installing a 120r motor a year ago - because I like the hands on wrench turning in my own little personal "bike shop".  It's my form of relaxation...  I'd never pay someone else to work in my bike simply for the sake of a little more power, but I'm sure that as long as I have bikes, I'll be messing with them..   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »

I'm just about to release a product that will relieve you of some of your HP and TQ when installed with the apprpriate exhaust, catalytic converter and clogged air cleaner.  Guranteed to work effectively on all 110" motors! :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »

The only way to answer that question is with another question.  Q: Why does a dog lick his balls? A: Because he can.  Nuff said? :bananarock:

I happen to like going much too fast, feeling sheer power from 0 to 90.......

Joe
I dont think you can have too much chrome or too much power...like was asked above why does a dog lick his balls...because he can and it probably feels good doing it!!!
twist the wick you will see what we mean!   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »

Simple answer

The definition of enough power is when you never find the end of the throttle!  :2vrolijk_21:
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:22:29 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
Simple answer

The definition of enough power is when you never find the end of the throttle!  :2vrolijk_21:
well put mr cole!
 :bananarock: :2vrolijk_21:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.