Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome EVO Bolt Kit... DYNA (90-98) or (99-05)?  (Read 2252 times)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
Chrome EVO Bolt Kit... DYNA (90-98) or (99-05)?
« on: August 14, 2006, 10:58:18 AM »

The only problem with the CVO FXR: Since 99/00 weren't production years for the (best HD model ever!) FXR, the MoCo and the industry has done a terrible job of identifying parts for our bikes.

I am looking at a complete polished chrome, smooth allen head engine bolt kit including:

All Side Covers (Cam, Primary, Derby, Transmission Side, Inspection)
Lifter Base
Timing Plug
Inner Primary Mount
Top, Front and Rear Motor Mounts
Rocker Box Covers
Header Mount
Point Cover or Generator Mount
Washers and Nuts Where Applicable

Of course, you can buy each of these individually from MoCo for about 10X the price, but this kit is $82. They are just BOLTs for petesake.

My Question(s):

1.) Choose "Harley DYNA 90-98" or "Harley DYNA 99-05"? Technically the bike is a '00, but the last year for production EVO was 98, right?

2.) Does anyone have any experience with Gardner-Westcott Company products? This is the manufacturer of this kit being sold on eBay by RepublicCycle.com.
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

RedFXR2

Re: Chrome EVO Bolt Kit... DYNA (90-98) or (99-05)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:12:30 AM »

My Question(s):

1.) Choose "Harley DYNA 90-98" or "Harley DYNA 99-05"? Technically the bike is a '00, but the last year for production EVO was 98, right?

2.) Does anyone have any experience with Gardner-Westcott Company products? This is the manufacturer of this kit being sold on eBay by RepublicCycle.com.

1)  I would say go with the "Dyna 90-98."  Evos were in production right up through 2000 but the TC was the official base engine from 1999-on.  1999 and 2000 were transition years, with both motors being produced, the Evo phasing out and the TC phasing in.  When HD says "99-05" I would believe theyr'e talkinig about TC's.

2)  Gardner-Westcott is good stuff.  There's a hardware store here that carries their chrome nuts, bolts, washers etc.  Local riders use them for chrome hardware all the time as opposed to the stealer.  Even my local indy shop gets a lot of their chrome hardware from them.  Even so, $82 for all that stuff is cheap.  I've been thinking about doing the same thing.  I bought my recently installed rocker box bolts from the hardware store I mentioned.

Hope this helps.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 12:53:09 PM »

Agree with the EVO vs TC assessment.

Thanks for the scoop on G-W.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:11:41 PM »

Just a follow-up:

The Gardner-Westcott lead tech confirmed that the correct engine bolt kit for the CVO FXR EVO is part number 80-88. Just in case anyone may need that info down the road...

as always, thanks for the input

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 05:21:57 PM »

For feedback, the Gardner-Westcott kit was nice. Didn't match the bolts exactly, but most worked OK (for example, primary inspection cover and derby cover combined has 10 button-head bolts; the kit only supplied 8. Also, there were two 5/16 bolts that I can't find a use for).

So you know, Gardner-Westcott only sells to Dealers and does not sell individual pieces.

However, I found BoltDepot (http://www.boltdepot.com/Chrome-nuts-and-bolts.aspx) that does retail to individuals and does sell individual pieces. They advertise them to be Grade-8 polished chrome. I have a few pieces on order to complete the stuff that wasn't in the G-W kit, but haven't received them yet.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.