Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ignition: SE vs. Crane  (Read 1631 times)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
Ignition: SE vs. Crane
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:38:18 PM »

Soliciting opinion:

Which do you think is the better performing ignition module: Screamin' Eagle or Crane Hi-4?

Why?
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Re: Ignition: SE vs. Crane
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 02:02:18 PM »

My 02 is:
Definitely the Hi-4 by Crane.

Why?  I had them both on my 95" softy, and the Screamin' Eagle first blew up and wet the bed, and when replaced under warranty, didn't perform particularly well.  I then went to the Hi-4 with a good boost in performance, and no problems.  Still running it.
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

RedFXR2

Re: Ignition: SE vs. Crane
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »

Most folks would probably agree that the Crane is the better of the two choices for truly high performance applications.  But read this from nightrider.com a really good HD tech website:

Many of the features of the HI-4 are much more important on high-compression, high horsepower bikes than would be on a stock bike or one with a mild cam (EV-13 or Fireball 300). The variable adjustment for the advance curve allows you to tune the bike to just below the point of detonation in the mid-range power band.

The ability to vary the rear cylinder timing can result in several horsepower difference on high power bikes. Making this adjustment is tedious and time consuming since the expected adjustment figure will be less than a degree of timing. From experience, 1/2 degree of timing adjustment on the rear cylinder is a large adjustment

I went with the SE because it was cheaper and I was on a SE kick when I did all this.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 05:22:22 PM by RedFXR2 »

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.