Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 2014 Model year  (Read 19507 times)

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
Re: 2014 Model year
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »

Wow, this guy built his VRod conversion to look just like the MOCO would have done, it looks good!  I like this and the other renderings by Aussie however I think it would be a major mistake for the MOCO to drop the air cooled big twins at the same time they introduce water cooled big twins (er, Vrod powered replacments).  They would be wise to keep the air cooled retro-models for us old-timers that like the current design and bring out a water cooled model to guage interest.  Once (IF) the new design catches on with a new generation of buyers and us retro buyers (old farts) get used to the new design they could decide whether to keep both if both are profitable, or phase out the least popular of the two.

This bike was owned by a guy on this site I think he goes by CHAINS  I think he just sold it  :nixweiss:

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »

yea i think before CHAINS owned it the previous owner was a movie actor ? i thought
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »

yea i think before CHAINS owned it the previous owner was a movie actor ? i thought
Yep... Brad Pitt...

For what it's worth I don't believe there's anyone in the Dago biker community who isn't aware of Cycle Visions. Randy has been around for a long time and has gone through a lot of changes. Ups and downs based on the economy like everyone else but you know the constant with Randy and with his shop has always been that while he charges a pretty penny he does 1st rate work. It's for this reason that celebs and rich guys have him build them one off customs like this bike here. And specifically as regards this bike, everyone who knows Randy knows this bike was built for Brad Pitt. At the time it came back into CV and was up for sale, the info attached to the bike flat out stated it belonged to Brad Pitt. So I don't think there was ever any question about it's origins. However, having said all that, I understand that a buyer at Barrett-Jackson is gonna want some documentation and the magazine article certainly helps out with that but in the end I think given Randy's rep as being a straight up dude, if you were to contact him regarding a high viz sale like B-J, he'd most likely help out with the doc work. I mean it's a ton of free publicity. Having said all that, I was very impressed with that bike from the get go. When Randy had it up for sale after Pitt let it go, I'd have bought it if not for the fact that I'm just waaaaaaaaay too damn big for a V-Rod in general, let alone one like this beauty. 

B B

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »

A big V-rod engine in a dresser would be cool. Run it out to 4.250 bore X 4.5 stroke with water cooled jugs and heads, side by side rods on a one piece balanced crank, 4 valve heads. Doesn't need to have DOHC if they can figure out how to build quality lifters. A big engine like that isn't going to run hi rpm anyway so no need to build tall DOHC heads. I guess this sounds like another engine I've never owned but have read about. I agree with the dual engine lineup so riders can select which engine they want. I like the V-Rod engine for what it is but after test riding one, I'd be hard pressed to buy one since it just doesn't fit right. Start with a Dyna style frame and work from there. Hard to find an engine design that the Japanese haven't already built. Do we blame them or ourselves and H-D for not stepping up first?

I had to find a engine displacement program to see what this beast would be. Right at 128ci which is bigger than the previous mentioned engine or 2.1L. An engine like that should be capable of 150 lbft and around 130-140hp. A one piece cast block and cylinders with wet sleeves so it's rebuildable but captures much of the noise we hear from pistons etc. Just this big lump of styled aluminum that's fairly quiet, the heart of a lion and MADE IN THE USA. Some may think I don't care where my bikes are made. I prefer an American made bike but performance and reliability come in there as well. Build a reliable engine like that and watch the foreign bike owners line up. I'd sport wood over a H-D bagger built with an engine like that. H-D could build it but is there enough profit in it for them? Guess pride is gone and being able to say they build the most reliable. We're the dying breed and last owners of the current style engine. Do we force H-D into death by continuing to build the current engine and the EPA kills it or do we accept the fact that we need to tolerate different engine designs and usher in a new era. I'd like to see H-D roll another 100 years but hey, none of us will be around.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »

I might bite if the changes are right - meaning improvements in both HP, durability (better cranks), reliability and such. I know it would take time to tell if this would be the case but I'm not willing to move off my 09 SERG until other major improvements and/or increase in HP and other changes occur. Otherwise, I'd be buying basically the same platform, engine, et al, that I already have.

And as I had mentioned in a thread a long time ago, the 110 has been in the CVO production longer than any other CVO motor. With it's early problems and such, it has lasted 7 years in the CVO and counting.

Not to early to wish for 2014 changes.

BryantH
Maybe now we can have Bluetooth, an adjustable windshield
, and an engine that can run cooler in >90 degree heat?  And it would be nice to have a compensator that would last more than 40,000 miles.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »

OK, so I'm a little late to this...."crank issues"?  I hope these were early in the 110's life?  I just bought my first CVO and for $27k large, I am hoping for rock solid reliability.....is that a pipe dream??
Depends what ur smokin'?  ;D  If you don't accumulate more than 40,000 miles, you might be okay...more than that comes new lifters, compensator....stuff like that.  But, having said that, my 08 CUSE has always brought me home and drives and rides like a dream....except in traffic when ambient temps exceed 90!

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »

I see more HP with water cooled engines...water cooled is a sure thing for 14'...
At least water-cooled heads...my Kaw is a 125" mill with water-cooled heads and is my ride of choice in traffic on hot days.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 11:36:06 PM »

At least water-cooled heads...my Kaw is a 125" mill with water-cooled heads and is my ride of choice in traffic on hot days.

I knew someone had a Kawi on here....forgot who it was. But yes that's the engine I was referring too or the Yamahoppy 113ci. Not watercooled but the back jug is kicked out enough to cool it properly. Why H-D didn't beat them to the punch I'll never know. Guess that's why some of us like different rides.  >:(
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Fiberguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • Carpe Diem...or step aside and let me Carpe Diem!

• CVO1: 2013 Road King, 110th, #90
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Interesting pictures, Aussie!  

My dealer's service manager told me something interesting last week.  He says a source at the factory told him there will be no '14 Road Glide because the '15's will come with the wet motor.   NOT eager to spread a rumor but if it comes true, you heard it here first!   :huepfenlol2:  It does not make sense to me that a wet motor would require an interruption of a model for an entire year but it would be a HUGE step for HD and I can see them trying to get it right the first time.   :nixweiss:  Where's Nostradamus when you need him?    :confused5:  

Earlier this year I found where HD had registered a patent in France for a water cooled V-twin.  It had two small radiators in the Lowers, located where the vents are.  There was a small circ motor and the plumbing was the standard route around the Exhaust valves and ports. I do see this being the means for addressing the increase in heat due to leaner air/fuel mixtures. I personally feel when every EPA employee is walking to work, recycling their own body fluids, and planting no less than 100 trees a week, I will look at putting back on the stock Intake, stock Exhaust, and reducing the tune on my 3500 Dually.  Until then, I can't take them too seriously. PS: I would like to give a shout-out to Banks Power.  Thanks guys for enabling me to spin all four of my back tires on dry pavement!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:46:09 PM by Fiberguy »
As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.  ~Zachary Scott

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »

Would not buy a wet motor Harley. Other manufactures have more experience if you want to go wet.

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the current "wet" motor from Harley in the VRod. It's one of the best engines in motorcycling.  I'm going to guess that it will be a V4 based on the VRod engine. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 12:57:33 AM »

I'm going to guess that it will be a V4 based on the VRod engine. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Cheers, Moe

Now that would be a home run... a V4!!! You bet your azz I would buy one.  Have you ever heard a Vmax with exhaust, sounds like a wicked cam'd V8.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 04:44:47 AM »

Now that would be a home run... a V4!!! You bet your azz I would buy one.  Have you ever heard a Vmax with exhaust, sounds like a wicked cam'd V8.

A buddy of mine had an old Vmax with a Dale Walker 4-1 pipe and that thing sounded GOOOOD! ... almost like a worked over Chevy smallblock going down the road. People would hear it coming from a distance and would chit when they saw it was a bike, lol. I wouldn't need a radio if I had a tune like that to hear.

Sitting here in my garage staring at my bike ... I just can't picture a VRod motor in it, wouldn't look right to me ... or sound right either. I could imagine a wet version of the same vtwin it currently has but put together with more reliable parts. Keep the same air- cooled look, build water jackets into the same cylinders/heads, find an easy place to mount the water pump & neatly run all the plumbing, install a rad in each lower with a small fan on the rear of each one for heavy traffic, revamp the doors so you can direct warm air on yourself in the winter & away from you in the summer and keep the oil cooler where it is. That way it would be air, oil AND water cooled so we could sit in traffic all day with no worries ... if need be. Oh well ... nothing wrong with wishfull thinking. Only time will tell what Mother Harley really does.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:04:44 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 08:12:37 AM »

No.... on Dec 21 the Mayans are coming back to give us a new calendar and say 'We'll be back'.

Yup ,  you're right !   Appears the Mayans will be back with another stab at a new calendar   :drink:

Fiberguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • Carpe Diem...or step aside and let me Carpe Diem!

• CVO1: 2013 Road King, 110th, #90
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »

Yup ,  you're right !   Appears the Mayans will be back with another stab at a new calendar   :drink:

Darn it! Now I have to pay all those bills that I was holding off on.  Figured the End-Of-The-World party was a pretty good investment.
As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.  ~Zachary Scott
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 21 queries.