Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Obsolete? That doesn't sound good...  (Read 5036 times)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
Obsolete? That doesn't sound good...
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:12:07 PM »

I went to check on my scoot yesterday (to make dam sure it would be ready for BTF) and my stealer told me they hadn't got all the parts in. When we reviewed the list, he showed me where some of the OEM parts were either "back-ordered" or "obsolete'. Of course, neither sounded good to me. Forutnately I was FORCED to upgrade to a readily available chrome substitute
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

RedFXR2

Re: Obsolete? That doesn't sound good...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:31:50 PM »

Last year my local dealers' parts guys swore to me that HD brand Evo oil filters were out of production because they were "obsolete".  A few days later, I went to the local indy shop who had about a dozen HD Evo oil filters on his shelf.  I asked him where he had gotten them and he said...you guessed it, the same dealer--just the day before (after I had been there).  I told him about my experience and he didn't know anything about it (obsoleted oil filters).  But I bought 3 just in case.

I wonder if the dealer will try to sell a customer what he happens to have in stock, right for the bike or not.  Nahhhhhh. ::)

I'm sure that some Evo and FXR parts will be hitting the HD obsolete list pretty soon, and there are probably some already there.  But I've recently replaced some FXR2-specific parts just becaue I'm a perfectionist and the originals had some mark or other slight flaw on them after 7 years.  The dealer transfer works quite well and I was surprised to learn how many of these parts were still out there among the dealers.

On the other hand, as these parts really do become scarce, the way I look at it, our bikes will become more and more unique--a good thing.

Mind my asking what parts you were told were obsolete?

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 01:37:12 PM »

...Mind my asking what parts you were told were obsolete?

My bad, I should've stated in original...

The two that were in question for mine were the handlebars (???) which seem pretty straight-forward, just everyday drag bars and the black master cylinder/front brake housing - which just seems stoopid because it appears to be the same part that is/was still in use on my wife's '05 Dyna Low rider.

Who knows, maybe it was error or perhaps just "up-sell" strategy...

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 01:47:50 PM »

I agree with the "strangeness" of both of those allegedly obsoleted items.  Those things must have been used across several lines--particularly the master cylinder.  I would think the bars would have been a HD accessory for years.

Hmmmmm.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »

I know and agree. I am actually looking for a good indy shop locally so I can reduce my dependency on the services of my local stealer. It's a dam shame, but I just don't trust the knowledge and/or competency of the HD store. IMO they are really only good for selling new bikes and t-shirts.

roadking40

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 08:05:45 PM »

I have been hunting for sideplates for the FXR4. I have contacted a number of dealers and all have searched and made phone calls. No luck. Obsolete. My question to the dealers - Is there a frame change on the 1999-2000 FXR's that prevents you from using the "older" FXR side plates? The last dealer I talked to said the fender struts are narrower than the older FXR's. If this is true, I guess I am out of luck. Any ideas? Worst case, I can use a Corbin with a passenger backrest. Let me know your thoughts.

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 08:41:19 PM »

Is there a frame change on the 1999-2000 FXR's that prevents you from using the "older" FXR side plates? The last dealer I talked to said the fender struts are narrower than the older FXR's.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1159370745

Check Deerhead's FXR3--photos in the above thread.  He's using the smaller ones typically used on the FXR2 as well as many production model FXR's.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:44:10 PM by RedFXR2 »

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 10:15:59 AM »

I have been hunting for sideplates for the FXR4. ... Let me know your thoughts.

Couple of thoughts...
1.) I just got a new side-plate for my FXR4 about 3 months ago. Maybe check again, or with a different stealer.
2.) Don't know about fender struts, because I only have a 4 - not a 2 or 3, but here is some info on the bolt-patterns on a 4:

The primary side looks to have the bolt configuration to still support the older plates, see yellow circled holes. Note that there are grommet-type plugs in the lower holes.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:19:18 AM »

The Breather side, on the other hand, appears to have used the lower holes for the Rear Master Cylinder. (Where is the RMC on the 2, 3, or production FXR's?) Anyway, I wouldn't know how to make the lower half of the older side-plate work. The top part looks like it should mount up though. see yellow-circles again...

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 10:24:33 AM »

Hey, side note: while we have these pic's up here, anyone know what the purpose of the oil line is? See red arrow. It just stops there, seems to be capped-off.   Thanks...

roadking40

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 10:33:37 AM »

Thanks for the effort. It appears as I may have you down the wrong path. I am looking for the sissy bar side plates. They are discon from HD and no one can tell me if the standard FXR sissy bar side plates will work. The dealer says no... due to frame or rear strut changes on the FXR2.3.4. My bike has a solo seat and I want to convert it back to stock with sissy bar. I have had the dealers search, but no one in the US has a thing. Any help appreciated. From looking at the bike, it appears as though there are additional unused holes in the fender that would allow the older plates to work. Anyway, thanks for the help.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 10:34:54 AM »

Hey, side note: while we have these pic's up here, anyone know what the purpose of the oil line is? See red arrow. It just stops there, seems to be capped-off.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 10:51:23 AM »

That would be the drain line for the oil tank.

oh, duh! OK, I will accept the dum@ss of the day award. Thanks.

RedFXR2

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 12:15:40 PM »

The Breather side, on the other hand, appears to have used the lower holes for the Rear Master Cylinder. (Where is the RMC on the 2, 3, or production FXR's?)

The rear master cylinder on my bike is in the same place--I believe it's there on all the CVO FXR's anyway--can't say about the production models.

RedFXR2

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 12:46:46 PM »

I am looking for the sissy bar side plates. They are discon from HD and no one can tell me if the standard FXR sissy bar side plates will work. The dealer says no... I have had the dealers search, but no one in the US has a thing.

I would say to get the part numbers from the dealer, verifying that they are correct by looking, yourself, over his shoulder at the FXR4 parts book, and then try calling some of the 20% off mail order dealers like Surdyke, Hale's and Benjy's.  Those dealers do a lot of parts business--might be more familiar.  Also, while you're getting those part numbers, ask the dealer to look up the same parts for late 90's Sportsters and Dynas as well, and comparing the numbers to see if they're the same.

Once you're positive you have the right part numbers, "google" them--you'll get some hits and it might lead you to a source.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.