Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just had it towed in...  (Read 1522 times)

roadking40

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Just had it towed in...
« on: November 04, 2006, 07:59:50 PM »

Perfect day today in the valley, 80 degrees, little wind, awesome. Other than the FXR4 died at the gas station. Very strange, the bike acted like the starter was completely dead, but I could hear it click, but never attempt to start. Headlight was on, battery was fine.

The local dealer towed the bike in, and jumped power directly to the starter and bang, it started. So, the bike is in the shop for further diagnostics.

What a bummer.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Just had it towed in...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 09:47:37 PM »

Sorry to hear of the trouble on your ride.

Dead spot in the starter?  Solenoid? Any ideas?  

Let us know what they find.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 09:55:19 PM »

Perfect day today in the valley, 80 degrees, little wind, awesome. Other than the FXR4 died at the gas station. Very strange, the bike acted like the starter was completely dead, but I could hear it click, but never attempt to start. Headlight was on, battery was fine.

The local dealer towed the bike in, and [highlight]jumped power directly to the starter and bang[/highlight], it started. So, the bike is in the shop for further diagnostics.

What a bummer.
First thing I would suspect is the battery cable to the starter.  It's not uncommon for a cable to corrode and fail, either at the connectors or even inside the insulation.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:46:03 PM »

Had the same thing happen to my Road King a month ago. It was the regulator. They seem to go at the most inconvient times.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Never in the garage always on the road. [smiley=oops.gif]

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.