Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pulstar spark plugs  (Read 1639 times)

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

Pulstar spark plugs
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »

Anybody have any experience with Pulstar plugs???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Pulstar spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:03 PM »

They are a scam.  There are no "magic" sparkplugs, and sparkplugs won't turn your bike into a fire breathing monster.  If you change plugs at the normal intervals Harley recommends, the stock plugs are more than sufficient.  If you want to make a set of plugs last 50,000 miles then try one of the iridium or platinum electrode plugs. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »

Thanks Jerry.. That's kind of what I figured.
Thanks again.

Yzernie

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE that had the engine blow up twice.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:31:40 AM »

I got a couple for free and put them in my Road Glide Ultra.  They caused spark knock at lower RPM so I took it to my tuner and lit him up about a poor tune.  My dyno tuner (and ultimately my mechanic) said they somehow bypass the the anti knock electronics and allow a lean condition.  I ditched them and have not had any knock since.
"The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it" - Unknown

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:36:25 PM »

I got a couple for free and put them in my Road Glide Ultra.  They caused spark knock at lower RPM so I took it to my tuner and lit him up about a poor tune.  My dyno tuner (and ultimately my mechanic) said they somehow bypass the the anti knock electronics and allow a lean condition.  I ditched them and have not had any knock since.

Nothing personal but spark plugs that "somehow bypass the anti knock electronics and allow a lean condition" is the biggest bunch of BS that I've heard on here in a long time.  Your mechanic is full of it.    :drink:
Jesus is Lord

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:37:08 AM »

not necessarily.  the ion sensing in the ecm relies on a set resistance from the plugs for the knock retard to work.  if these 'magic plugs' are not the correct resistance, then that could bypass the knock sensing of the system.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »

not necessarily.  the ion sensing in the ecm relies on a set resistance from the plugs for the knock retard to work.  if these 'magic plugs' are not the correct resistance, then that could bypass the knock sensing of the system.

Yes, but that wouldn't make the bike run lean.  Ion sensing as used in the Delphi ECM retards spark when it detects abnormal combustion, such as detonation (pinging).  So using an incompatible plug or plug wire can mess with that function, either never responding to real detonation or responding when there is no detonation.

The real reason to avoid those plugs is to discourage the scam artists who market that crap.  The reason there are so many scams and misrepresented products these days is directly related to how many people fall for all the lies and BS.  Take away the profit and these sleazebags go away.  If the average consumer would just remember one simple phrase and live by it, perhaps we could rid ourselves of many scammers, spammers, and all around azzholes.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Yzernie

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:17:48 AM »

This is what the technical explaination was, thank you for posting this.  I put it into more simple terms but apparently some want to call people out instead of asking for more clarification.  Isn't the internet great??!!
"The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it" - Unknown

Yzernie

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 01:20:55 AM »

Yes, but that wouldn't make the bike run lean.  Ion sensing as used in the Delphi ECM retards spark when it detects abnormal combustion, such as detonation (pinging).  So using an incompatible plug or plug wire can mess with that function, either never responding to real detonation or responding when there is no detonation.
Another good explaination, thank you!!

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.