Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gerbing G3 Gloves  (Read 4052 times)

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

Gerbing G3 Gloves
« on: December 09, 2006, 06:38:35 PM »

For those that are thinking about the new Gerbing G3 gloves, they do not keep your hands as warm as the originals. I purchased a pair about two weeks ago and today was the first time I had to try them. At 39 degrees my thumbs were cold. I had the thermostat turned to high and they could not keep up. Just a thought don`t sell your originals if you plan on riding below 40 degrees.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Gerbing G3 Gloves
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 07:06:32 PM »

For those that are thinking about the new Gerbing G3 gloves, they do not keep your hands as warm as the originals. I purchased a pair about two weeks ago and today was the first time I had to try them. At 39 degrees my thumbs were cold. I had the thermostat turned to high and they could not keep up. Just a thought don`t sell your originals if you plan on riding below 40 degrees.

Wonderful! Could they be defective?
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 07:11:37 PM »

im with hoist!  thatsd some buuullllllllchit there

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 07:24:37 PM »

They were sealed in the original bag when I opened them. Before leaving the house I could feel them warming but after about 30 on the road you could start to feel the coldness in the thumbs. I am thinking it is because of the thickness of the gloves.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:30:14 PM »

It only gets down into the 30's here, but mine keep my hands toasty.  Bought them around this time last year and used them all winter.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 07:43:41 PM »

Plug-in the Gerbing G3 gloves and they heat up quickly, resulting in well-distributed, soothing warmth. The heating elements warm the back of your hand as well as the top and sides of your fingers. However, I did notice that the thumbs never seem to warm as much as the other fingers. I don't know if this is by design or if it is a design limitation.

Maybe I should have did a little more research before I bought them. Found this review on a search of the web under Gerbing gloves.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 10:01:45 PM »

I've used mine down in the high 20s to low 30s range.  Around 30 seemed to be the point they stopped keeping up.  From there on up, however, mine are fine.  At about 30 the t-stat for the gloves is turned all the way up though.  Below that you start noticing more and more chill.  They're still helping.  And I'm not suffering froze hand at 28 like I would be otherwise.  But down in to the 20s range I do wish they did more.  I solve this problem by rarely putting my ass on the bike when it's below freezing outside for very long  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 01:10:32 AM »

Perhaps a thin (silk or poly) liner glove would help in those situations needed.  I have some for my ski gloves, and Diva wears them with her Lee Parks Thinsulate gauntlet gloves and they help for her.  It would be another layer to help keep that heat next to your skin.  They fit so close and are so thin, fitment of the gloves over them is not generally an issue.

Also, remember that if you are losing heat from your head/neck area, your body starts pulling blood circulation away from the extremities first.  I know that even with my full face Nolan, when it's 30 degrees, I have to put something on the back of my neck to keep the heat from being sucked out, and it helps my hands stay warmer.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 03:05:22 AM »

Also, remember that if you are losing heat from your head/neck area, your body starts pulling blood circulation away from the extremities first.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 05:32:33 AM »

Perhaps a thin (silk or poly) liner glove would help in those situations needed.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 08:19:57 AM »

Hoist, I have the full set of Gerbing clothing which has worked well. Last year I rode at 17 degrees without problems. The jacket liner does have a high collar and I do wear a 3/4 helmet so, there is very little heat loss around the head or neck area. Are the G3`s better than winter gloves?, yes but not $169.00 worth. I may try a very thin inner glove to see if it helps but, that is another layer of thickness that I was trying to get away from.
I have emailed Jeff Gerbing stating my concerns so we will see what type of answer I receive. Maybe when your gloves arrive you might want to ask the dealer about returns??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 12:32:46 PM »

It sounds like these gloves apparently weren't designed for below 30 deg, from the sound of you folks. Since I'll only need them below 40 deg, it now seems like they might not be worth it. Are they better than good winter riding gloves (no heat), just not toasty? Or do you freeze with them below 30 deg? Since they're on their way I guess I'l try them. I have to make sure they'll take them back if I don't like them first. Some places don't take back electrical things. Any other info/opinions would be helpful. Thanks. Hoist!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 08:59:44 PM »

Even in to the mid and uppers 20s didn't freeze with them.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 11:02:58 PM »

I gotta tell you, this riding in the cold thing is over rated.  We moved from CA to Reno, NV in September.  Now I grew up in PA but that was, well too many years ago.  I have Gerbing heated stuff, the original gloves & a jacket liner.  They were great in CA when the temps dipped down below 45 ( I mostly rode the Sportster then) but here in Reno, at 30 degrees, the gloves just keep up.  I have always noticed & heard from otheres that thumbs get cold.  I agree, I think it's because they just go along for the ride and stick up by themself.

So Sportster is all tucked away under it's cover for the winter.  Winter MC is the 06 SE.  The farings, heated seat & grips in addition to the Gerbing stuff make it ok to be out.

The heated grips in combination with the gloved do the trick on the very cold days.  I would like to see a little more hear around the thumbs however.

In lots of discussion it is clear to me that Gerbings is the best on the market.  It is also very dependent on the person, and their body chemistry.  I ride with a guy on a Yamaha FJR and he wears these old military gloves that are falling apart, and sometimes, when it is below 40 turns on his heated grips.  He hates to ride if it is over 60, too hot.

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 09:34:09 PM »

I solve this problem by rarely putting my ass on the bike when it's below freezing outside for very long.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.