Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone 'wrap' a trailer?  (Read 3057 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Anyone 'wrap' a trailer?
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »

Been thinking of getting a trailer ....but....don't want to go to the expense of color matching the paint as I think I'll be getting a new bike in 2020. So......maybe find one and not be concerned about the color and get it wrapped to match my 2012 Ruby/Maroon FLHXSE3. I guess I should check into the price of wrapping.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Anyone 'wrap' a trailer?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »

Find a collision repair center that mixes/uses PPG and they can match about any Harley color you want to paint it. I strongly suggest you do base/clear. The UV in modern single stages do not come close to Base/Clear. You also use less actual color and build protection and depth with the clear.
Also after having a couple of wrapped company cars, the stuff is not a long term deal. Both of mine were used approx 2 years and showed heavy wear any where you touched it with any regularity. Also had a lady drag a Coach Purse down the side of the second one and it cut it like a knife, then water and dirt got in the cut, had to replace all the wrap in that area to a brake point (end of doors and complete fenders), tree branches are also not your friend.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »

I agree.  Had our 53' FEATHERLITE Hauler wrapped in '06,  in 2 years, looked like chit.  I think that was $10K in Mooresville, by "experts".  I got a quote from a place in Charleston, WV, couple of months ago, to get my '02, 12' V-Nose FEATHERLITE wrapped.  It's a Black, 1625, smooth side, no rivets, either.  Still looks pretty good, and pulls like there ain't nothin' back there, but they wanted $3500.00!  My Body-Man said he could sand it down with some kind of sand paper that feels more like tissue paper than sand paper, but it's got a very little fine feeling of grit, for lack of a better word, as a Body-Man I ain't.  Then he said he would clear coat it, and it would look like new.  Said he'd do in his shop at home for $12-1500, and then offered to do it for nothing 'cause he's worked for me for 20 years.  I think that's the route i'm gonna' go, but I'm gonna' pay him.  It's still a good Trailer, and one of the old-style FEATHERLITES.  Not that junk Forrest-River makes now, and puts a FEATHERLITE name on it.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »

If I confused pull behind M/C Trailers with Bumper-Pull M/C Trailers behind our P/U's and SUV's, I beg your pardon.  Sometimes my attention span gets distracted.  I have no experience, or interest in pull-behind Bush-Techs, or any type of trailer hooked to a MC.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »

We had a commercial rig that was in a couple weeks ago that was rapped with decal top to bottom, about a half way up a quart of water.
Water got in from a tiny slit in the area just below the roof.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 06:41:35 PM »

Considering this trailer.....flat and easy to wrap. It will be parked 95% of the time ..covered and in the shade so a wrap should last a few years until I either paint it or upgrade to a Bushtec when i purchase the retirement bike.....or just leave it black.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:55:12 PM »

Considering this trailer.....flat and easy to wrap. It will be parked 95% of the time ..covered and in the shade so a wrap should last a few years until I either paint it or upgrade to a Bushtec when i purchase the retirement bike.....or just leave it black.

Be real interested to see what your decision is. I have a very similar trailer and have been thinking of trying the wrap approach too.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »

Which is harder and more expensive to repair, a wrap job or a paint job?  I'm guessing the wrap job that gets a few rock chips will eventually start to peel at the chip areas, and then water and other foreign material will enter and further loosen the wrap.  Cutting out a section and piecing in a replacement doesn't sound like a great repair technique, so I'm guessing you'd have to strip it off and redo the whole thing.  On the other hand, any decent painter can do a spot repair and blend it so it's basically like new.

I'd go with the less expensive and easier to repair paint job.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 08:38:52 PM »

I would only be wrapping the sides and the back ...so...I'd hope rock chips and such would be minimal.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.