Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blowout  (Read 1598 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Blowout
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »

Friend of mine posted this on Facebook.  He was returning home from Colorado when his riding buddy had a blowout on his rear tire.  They were on I-40 near OK City doing about 70 mph when it happened.  Friend thought for sure he would lose control and crash but fortunately was able to ride it out and get it stopped on the shoulder.  2015 Limited with original D407 with about 13k on it.  Tech who replaced the tire said he had seen other instances of separation such as this.  They examined the tire and could find no foreign object in the tire and no indication of puncture.  And he stated that he had checked the tire pressure in both bikes the day before and all tires were OK.

Still I'm thinking that something caused it to lose air pressure and that along with the high temps (in the 90s) led to the failure.  Hoping someone on the site more knowledgeable about tires might have some ideas.  If it is a defect in the tire itself that is scary as no good way to guard against it.

I'm loving the TPMS on my '17 CVO Limited and I check the tire pressure quite frequently.  Sometimes the road surface can make the bike's handling seem like perhaps you have a tire with low pressure.  Being able to check the pressure real time while riding is great.  The moco should offer this even on non-CVO bikes - as an extra cost options of course imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Blowout
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »

That breakdown of the inside of the tire is most likely due to riding on it as it was flat.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »

Agreed on breakdown. 

Everything sounds good: air pressure, 13k miles not that high.  Would be worth asking: Was anything hit prior to the blow out?  Large pothole, road debris, ??

The guess is: a certain percentage of tires will fail due to separation.  Can be caused by a manufacturer defect.  Not what we want to hear, but have seen it many times in automotive tires. 

Love the TPM on my 2017 long time. Good idea to offer it - at a cost - on all bikes.  I still manually check air pressure frequently, and use the TPM to verify what I get with the air gauge.  Have done this enough that can tell when a tire is a little low & needs air, but refuse to rely on TPM only since my dinosaur DNA does not completely trust these newfangled thingamabobs.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:22:06 PM »

That damage in the photo appears to be from riding on the tire after it was flat. Tech didn't realize this? Probably a HD certified tech that replaced the tire.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »

That damage in the photo appears to be from riding on the tire after it was flat. Tech didn't realize this? Probably a HD certified tech that replaced the tire.

I was thinking the very same thing
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »

On a return trip from Colorado...would be interesting to know how much weight was being carried.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »

I had a rear tire blowout on the last leg of my return from MITM – first time ever. 4,200 miles out and less than 200 miles from home when it happened. This tire was the second, same as stock Dunlop that came new on the CUSE8, didn’t even have 10,000 miles on it. Pleased to learn your friend handled it okay ultrafxr – having just experienced this I recognize the danger this event can present. Looking at the tire afterwards it’s difficult to tell what and why it happened. My ESP has the tire and wheel rider so everything was taken care of except for the deductible.

HoustonAgingDad

• I ride a '10 FLHTCUI
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 09:52:23 AM »

Agreed on breakdown. 

Everything sounds good: air pressure, 13k miles not that high.  Would be worth asking: Was anything hit prior to the blow out?  Large pothole, road debris, ??

The guess is: a certain percentage of tires will fail due to separation.  Can be caused by a manufacturer defect.  Not what we want to hear, but have seen it many times in automotive tires. 

Love the TPM on my 2017 long time. Good idea to offer it - at a cost - on all bikes.  I still manually check air pressure frequently, and use the TPM to verify what I get with the air gauge.  Have done this enough that can tell when a tire is a little low & needs air, but refuse to rely on TPM only since my dinosaur DNA does not completely trust these newfangled thingamabobs.

TPM on a motorcycle is even a thing?  Cool. I had no idea. This is really something that should be mandatory. (or at least an option on all bikes)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »

TPM on a motorcycle is even a thing?  Cool. I had no idea. This is really something that should be mandatory. (or at least an option on all bikes)

TPM is available standard on CVO Limited and CVO Street Glide.  Other brands have TPM also.  Is especially handy when you hit a rough stretch of road & the bike feels like it has a low tire from the way it is handling. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 01:35:51 PM »

Never had a rear tire blow myself. Glad he was able to ride it down safely.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.