Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For those in California, or considering a ride to California,...  (Read 1573 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag

California Highway Patrol GUIDELINES FOR LEGAL MOTORCYCLE LANE SPLITTING.

Lane splitting by motorcycles is legal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
Motorists should NOT take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.
Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400). Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).

1. You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by:
2. Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning
3. Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
4. Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split:
1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.
- A speed differential of 10 miles per hour or less allows an alert, competent rider enough time to identify and react to most dangerous situations that can occur.
- The greater the speed differential, the less time a rider has to identify and react to a hazard.
2) It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster --- danger increases as overall speed increases.
- At just 20 mph, in the 1 or 2 seconds it takes a
rider to identify a hazard, that rider will travel approximately 30 to 60 feet before even starting to take evasive action.
Actual reaction (braking or swerving) will take additional time and distance.
- Braking and stopping distance varies greatly based on a multitude of factors (rider, machine and environment).
- As speed increases, crash severity increases.
3) Typically, it is safer to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.
- Other road users are more accustomed to motorcycles splitting between the #1 and #2 (furthest left) lanes.
- Avoid splitting in lanes near freeway on-ramps and exits.
- Avoid splitting lanes when another motorcycle rider is splitting between other nearby lanes as cars may make additional room for one rider and accidentally reduce space for another.
4) Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.
- Some lanes are narrower than others, leaving little room to pass safely. If you can't fit, don't split.
- Some vehicles are wider than others -- it is not advisable to split near wide trucks. If you can't fit, don't split.
- Know the limitations of your motorcycle --- wide bars, fairing and bags require more space between vehicles. If you can't fit, don't split.
- Avoid splitting on unfamiliar roads to avoid surprises such as poor road surfaces.
- Seams in the pavement or concrete between lanes can be hazardous if they are wide or uneven.
- Poor visibility, due to darkness or weather conditions, makes it difficult for riders to see road hazards and makes it more difficult for drivers to see you.
- Help drivers see you by wearing brightly colored protective gear and using high beams during daylight.
5) Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.
- Be very aware of what the cars around you are doing. If a space, or gap, opens up next to your lane, be prepared react accordingly.
- Always be prepared to take evasive action if a vehicle changes lanes.
- Account for inattentive or distracted drivers.
- Riders should not weave back and forth between lanes or ride on top of the line.
- Riders should avoid lingering in blind spots.
- Never ride while impaired by drugs, alcohol or fatigue.
- Constantly scan for changing conditions.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: For those in California, or considering a ride to California,...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:28:07 PM »

Common sense for those of us that live here. It will be interesting to see if they will add "regulations" since it is now "officially" legal and they can now get their teeth into it

Good post

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »

Greetings : I have been splitting lanes with great caution since I first started riding. These days with the size of the mirrors on most vehicles  especially SUV and Pickups I tend to only do it when absolutely necessary. When I had my soft tail and previous smaller bikes it was no biggie, but with my 09SEUC it does get a little dicey. My longest lane split was 27 miles on a trip from Simi Valley to Las Vegas. Two big accidents on a Sunday afternoon. Most cagers here are pretty aware of lane splitters and are courteous. Then of course on a Vegas trip there was this S#*#  bag who I saw eye balling me in his rear view. I had plenty of room till the dumb ass swerved over and made me stop. Fortunately the guy in the red Suburban next to him moved over so I could get thru. As I passed by the S#*# bag  I spit a courteous luggie on his girlfriends side of the windshield. Little does he know what he would have been in for if I was with the guys I used to ride with. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »

One thing that blows me away about lane splitting out here now, vs when I started riding in 2000, people will actually move over to one side of the lane if the see you.
Granted not everyone does, but down where I am located I would say 50% do.
That just blows my mind because when I started crawlin on two wheels no one gave a rats a$$ about making room for ya.
I don't know, maybe it is just me but it just amazes me that people bother to give us any kind of consideration now. Times be changin

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »

I give you guys credit, I could never do it. Not sure if it is legal here in Wisconsin or not but some people do it. Scares the crap out of me when they pass me cause the idiots are doing about 30mph while traffic is at a dead stop, usually sport bikes I see doing it.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »

I give you guys credit, I could never do it. Not sure if it is legal here in Wisconsin or not but some people do it. Scares the crap out of me when they pass me cause the idiots are doing about 30mph while traffic is at a dead stop, usually sport bikes I see doing it.

Yeah, that is a bit much for me. If traffic is stopped I just filter through cautiously.
I too see sportbike Riders flying between cars, especially on the freeway. I'll pass on that

jcd520

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:11:58 PM »

My opinion---------------When you pass someone in a cage on a motorcycle, it pisses them off----------whether its lane splitting or not.-------Most people dont show it , or react to it , but deep inside ---------it pisses them off. Lane splitting??? Legal or not , you are literally taking your life in your own hands. All it takes is the wrong person at the wrong time and you are done. You can lay in the hospital bed all day long and say  "well I was in the right " but it wont heal your broken bones.
It seems to me these days that all these texters and angry "me first drivers" not only don't care about others , they also think they are entitled to do anything but pay attention to their driving . You piss one of them off and you are gonna pay.
Ive been riding for more than 50 years now and I look at every cage like the driver is pointing a gun at me--------------be careful, they will hurt you!
Where I live these kids today learn to drive in a parking lot in a couple weeks in the summer--------------Not good!!! They dart in and out of traffic , no turn signals, follow right on you ass, pull up to withing 2 feet of you at traffic lights. Its getting scary out there. All I know is I pay very close attention at all times---------All of you be safe and remember--------especially in california  or wherever theres lane splitting, lots of nuts out there!!!!

Again , just my opinion and I realize no one asked for it.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »

Well said sir, well said.

Stay frosty out there folks.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »

I would rather split lanes at a reasonable speed than cross an intersection at any speed. You have a greater chance at accident, injury, or death, crossing an intersection on a green light, than you do lane filtering through traffic.

Ask any motor cop, he'll tell you.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »

I'll will say the chance of getting your $hit pushed in at a stoplight these days is much higher than it used to be, with all these window lickers on cell phones

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 11:56:21 PM »

It seems to me that the people in the sacramento and bay area are ok with lane splitting. Yet the los angeles crowd would rather run you off the road then shoot you

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »

LOL.......that's funny Van.  They lane split down here in So Cal but never less than 100 mph.  Actually, the So Cal riders are much more talented at it......they thread through spaces with at least an 1/8" on either side.  And people say I ride crazy........I'd never lane split!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 09:18:29 AM »

Not sure if CA has this problem, but one to be aware when splitting is sometimes from heat & traffic the asphalt makes a nice little raised ridge between the lanes and when you're splitting your on it, and it tosses the bike around. It's real nasty to ride on.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »

Not sure if CA has this problem, but one to be aware when splitting is sometimes from heat & traffic the asphalt makes a nice little raised ridge between the lanes and when you're splitting your on it, and it tosses the bike around. It's real nasty to ride on.

We have that here too in California, along with an ever shifting seam between the concrete and asphalt, thick lane stripes, and BOT dots. All in all, I'd still choose to lane split at a reasonable speed, than pass through an intersection at any speed. One can choose to split or not split lanes. But you can't avoid intersections.

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 22 queries.