Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Insurance while parked for months.  (Read 4545 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Insurance while parked for months.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »

What if storm, theft or some other damage were to happen to the bike itself while stored?

At least for State Farm, here's the definition of Comprehensive coverage:

Comprehensive Coverage
This coverage helps pay for an insured vehicle’s loss or damage that is not caused by a collision or vehicle rollover. Examples of this type of damage or loss include fire, wind, hail, flooding, vandalism, hitting an animal, and theft. A deductible may apply.

I think there can be some differences in coverages caused by differences in state laws, though.  So, best to check if you're not sure.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »

At least for State Farm, here's the definition of Comprehensive coverage:

Comprehensive Coverage
This coverage helps pay for an insured vehicle’s loss or damage that is not caused by a collision or vehicle rollover. Examples of this type of damage or loss include fire, wind, hail, flooding, vandalism, hitting an animal, and theft. A deductible may apply.

I think there can be some differences in coverages caused by differences in state laws, though.  So, best to check if you're not sure.

Really wasn't sure how much the differences there might be company vs company and how much might be tied to different states statutory or regulatory language.  Far enough south of you here that there's almost never a month the bikes don't get out at least a little.  So I don't save an insurance money; but at least the bikes get out.  That's a fair trade.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 06:13:25 PM »

With the way State Farm prorates the premiums for bikes to apply more heavily in he summer months, I probably wouldn't even mess with dropping the full coverage if the season was just a couple months longer up here.  :(

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 10:16:54 PM »

Homeowners will NOT cover a licensed vehicle. Whoever started this rumor needs to change it before some unsuspecting person reads this as truth. And your homeowners is not open ended. It has a max, most say replacement and the insurance company would have inspected house prior to binding policy and premium is based on this. No car or bike coverage is inc in this bag of money.
When I see people say stuff like this is scares me because they have NO insurance.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »

J you need to check with your issuance company and be certain your covered... i had a tree branch fall and lit on my truck (i only have liability on it)  and home owners said tuff luck if it that branch hit the house...different story. now im going to throw this at you, lets say your bike started a fire and the house/shed burns then what? ask the questions, just saying cause ins. co. will do some shady sh!t when it comes time to pay. my son has some kinda deal with his ins. on his SHELBY ill check with him to see what is... 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

mark

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 01:21:59 PM »

You might want to read your policy or check with your agent as All State in Florida will not cover anything with a license plate under a home owners policy. Any claims must be made on the vehicles policy.

This was correct during Katrina...damaged bikes in garages were covered by the bike insurance, not homeowners policy.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 10:23:18 PM »

Lots of houses burn down due to car/bike generated fires. Normally the car/bike liab policy does not have enough limits to pay for the residence so you take the initial pay from covered car/bike that caused the fire until it is at max then the remainder comes from homeowners policy. But whether the car/bike or the house started the fire normally the individual policy's pay, because once again the Liab policy has a max and you decide that when you buy your insurance what that max is, if you only buy 10K in limits then that is all the big bag of money contains. And once that big bag is empty you have to go somewhere else to get more which is the other policy.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 11:58:42 PM »

talked with my son and what he has is a recreational vehicle policy witch has limits on mileage, witch if i understand correctly, so he is sent a letter to report mileage and if under the policy limit then is charged a lower rate, and a good deal for him .... $900. a year for 26 year old driving a car capable of 200 mph. and yup he lets dad drive it.
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »

If it burns down, it burns down. I'll go buy another one. It's a bike not a family member.   :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »

Really wasn't sure how much the differences there might be company vs company and how much might be tied to different states statutory or regulatory language.  Far enough south of you here that there's almost never a month the bikes don't get out at least a little.  So I don't save an insurance money; but at least the bikes get out.  That's a fair trade.

Like.Don we live far enough south that the bike.insurance never changes, but we do have a policy on a boat that automatically changes with the seasons. During winter it is still covered by full coverage but at a reduced rate due to non use. I  would think a policy like that would exist for bikes also
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »

In response to cvodon and mjb765;
I was at a local watering hole in Olathe Kansas when two guys got in a fight and knocked my bike over.  It broke the windshield, brake lever, r/s mirror and dented the running light housing.  The police would not write an incident report since the bike was parked at the side of the bar and was not in a "designated" parking spot.  I had parked in the same spot for years, with the owners permission, to avoid damage!  The bar owner write down what had happened and I submitted that letter, a letter of my own and pictures of the damage to Allstate.  They denied the claim since the bike was not in a "designated" parking spot and it had not been ran into by another vehicle and was not a "road incident". (their words)  I wanted them to cover it on my comprehensive policy and they would not.  They even wanted me to pursue collecting damages from the guys that were fighting.  I knew the guys and they didn't have a pot to *** in.  I thought Allstate went out of their way to deny a $500.00 claim, so I dropped them.
Bob   

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 01:54:37 PM »

With my insurance company I pay the premium for 7 months from March to August each year,but, the motorcycle is fully covered for the entire year.  You pay insurance for the time of year where you do most of your riding and nothing for the rest of the year during the winter months - presumably when you're not riding.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »

With my insurance company I pay the premium for 7 months from March to August each year,but, the motorcycle is fully covered for the entire year.  You pay insurance for the time of year where you do most of your riding and nothing for the rest of the year during the winter months - presumably when you're not riding.

That is exactly how my insurance works also.   It makes it nice because if it is a nice day in February or March and I want to take a ride, or if I haul the bike down south for some fun,  I don't have to worry about it!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.