Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What's the best way to fix a flat tire?  (Read 11355 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: What's the best way to fix a flat tire?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »

I agree with everyone's comments, but assuming you are in the middle of buttf**k nowhere, if someone has done the patch from the outside please explain the steps.  As well as the "what not to do."
Of course, when the bike makes it to a HD dealer the tire will then be replaced.

I carry this tire inflator in my saddlebag at all times  http://www.slime.com/product/111/Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator-(%2340001).html  I paid $29.99 at Pep Boys.  I also carry a tire plug kit, which you can find anywhere from $2 to $3 up to about $10.  Mine came in handy when I had a flat in the middle of BFEgypt.  My neighbor saw mine and got the same for himself.  On Friday he had the opportunity to use his also.  He thanked me quite sincerely.  It's very easy to inflate the tire and find the leak.  Put the plug in, then hit it with the air again to inflate to proper pressure.  The entire repair will be complete in less than 10 minutes.  If you get a flat in an area with no cell phone reception, you are going to be sincerely thankful that you have this equipment with you also.  I can't imagine how long it would have taken for me to get someone to pick me up and take me somewhere that I could make a call, leaving my bike behind on the side of the road, and then getting back to my bike, waiting for someone to come out and either plug it on the spot like I did, or flat bed it to the shop to do the same.  Even finding someone to come out and fix your tire or flat bed you will take much longer than the repair itself.  I was able to just fix it quickly, and get back on the road in search of a dealer to get a new tire installed as quickly as possible.  I absolutely will never leave home without my Slime compressor and the plug kit.  By the way, the plug kit that I got was from Kmart.  It was about $9 and it said on it that it was specifically for motorcycle tires.  I assume they will all work fine, but that kit just made me feel even more comfortable knowing that I wouldn't run into any problems when I'm in a bad situation.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 02:04:05 AM »

Hey 1abastarsmda, thanks for that info. I'm in Idaho right now and I'm gonna check out a pep boys and kmart, we don't have them up north.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 07:42:43 AM »

I always carry a variety of things with me at all times, one of them is a tire repair kit.
Some people laugh at me because of what I carry on the bike, but you know what. screw.....em.

There are some that have ridden with me that actually benefited from what I had, most times nothing was needed and that is always a good thing.

There have been times were I have had stupid things go wrong and not had a fix for, other times I have had everything I needed.

Example: One day a buddy un-clipped his saddlebag, went to re-clip it and the fastener broke. Yep guess who carries 2 all the time. $10.00 a piece, no big deal when your cruising all day out in no were land.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »

Hey 1abastarsmda, thanks for that info. I'm in Idaho right now and I'm gonna check out a pep boys and kmart, we don't have them up north.

As far as the tire plugs go, you can get those at Pep Boys also.  A lot of places carry the Slime compressors, such as Walmart, Autozone, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, NAPA, etc.  They have a list on their website.  The model that I got is nice since it's so small, and it comes with connections to plug into the lighter, and 2 ways to attach direct to the battery.  If you have a battery tender cable coming off your battery, you can actually just plug it in there just like the battery tender...it's the same connection on the wire.  You will be able to save a friend's butt too, if they get a flat.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »

I also have the Slime compressor and a plug kit from Auto Zone.  Only other thing I carry now is a large needle nose pliers.  Had a flat last year and the nail had gotten bent over and it was a real bitch to get it out.  If someone in our group had not had the pliers I would have been stuck even though I had the repair kit and compressor.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »

I also have the Slime compressor and a plug kit from Auto Zone.  Only other thing I carry now is a large needle nose pliers.  Had a flat last year and the nail had gotten bent over and it was a real bitch to get it out.  If someone in our group had not had the pliers I would have been stuck even though I had the repair kit and compressor.

2 uses for the needlenose pliers...one is getting the nail or other object out, and the other is cutting off the plug even with the tread.  Sorry I forgot to mention that before.  That was the other piece of the puzzle to complete the job.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »

Wal-Mart has them also, it comes in a decent little nylon pouch with the compressor and the plug kit...good piece of gear.

I always have a leatherman on me (or SOG multi tool at work) so I always have a needle nose and other tools at hand as well...

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 01:54:23 AM »

Would you believe it, no PEP Boys in Idaho or Washington. Guess I'll go with plan B.

I have tire plugs for my truck, they look like 6" pieces of black licorice. To use them you use a rasp to clean the hole, then a tool to push the plug into the tire. Does that sound anything like the bike tire patch?

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »

Go online and look up Motorcycle tire repair kits, order one that is designed for what you are going to use it for.
Spend the extra money on a quality product, chances are you will never use it. But if you do you can be sure that it will get you to the next shop safely so you can get a new tire.

You guys have spent 30+ thousand dollars on a Motorcycle if it cost you $50.00 for the repair kit it will be worth every penny if you need it.

Sorry, JMO
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »

Would you believe it, no PEP Boys in Idaho or Washington. Guess I'll go with plan B.

I have tire plugs for my truck, they look like 6" pieces of black licorice. To use them you use a rasp to clean the hole, then a tool to push the plug into the tire. Does that sound anything like the bike tire patch?

same thing...then all you need is a small compressor 

the Slime kit is a nice neat small package that fits in my bags

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 10:59:51 AM »

anyone ever try this?

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 10:12:11 PM »

anyone ever try this?

TN

I don't see a need for those when you can have a compressor packed neatly away in your saddlebag. 

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 01:10:22 AM »

anyone ever try this?

TN

It does look pretty cool

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »

I carry the plug kit on trips. Also carry the "spark plug compressor" kit.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »

I was just in a Walmart in Spokane and found the Slime kit for motorcycles. Very compact and perfect to throw in the saddle bag and forget about it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.