Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Thinking about sending OEM seat to Russell day long  (Read 3950 times)

blown alcohol

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Thinking about sending OEM seat to Russell day long
« on: September 17, 2019, 06:04:55 AM »

I have always hated this stock seat on my 13 cvo ultra. To me the backrest is useless, and I have never used it more than around the block. The last trip I put it on to give it one more try, and first gas stop it ended up in the tourpak.
I do not want the backrest. I had rather have the seat built up to provide the needed back support
What options should I consider using russell day long?
I'm thinking vinyl/leather, and stitching to best match oem style. Maybe get moved back an 1"

We exchanged email yesterday, but will call them later today. How long would I be without a seat if I get a build date. I figure 2.5 weeks worst case?
What were the wait times you experienced sending in your seat? I am not talking about sending in an extra seat weeks early. I know I have to allow 3-5 days shipping each way.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

Re: Thinking about sending OEM seat to Russell day long
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 07:51:45 AM »

I have considered RDL seats for a long time, but have never pulled the trigger.

One thing I will suggest that you consider:  Buy a regular seat off of Craigslist or ebay.  Then you can keep the one that came with your bike.  You can usually pick up a used seat off of a Street Glide or Electra Glide for around $100 and then you don't have to wait to ride either.
Big Lew
IBA #595

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »

I've had a Russell Day Long for about 8 years and three bikes. Here are my recommendations:

1) BigLew nailed it...buy a ripped seat off eBay to serve as your donor seat for the rebuild.
2) If at all possible, do the ride-in program. The riding up there is beautiful and you will end-up with a much better product to your EXACT needs. Stated differently, I had to send it back once for "free" adjustment and once to be totally re-built because that still didn't do it for me and the adjustment period had ended. Shipping is VERY expenses due to the bulkiness of the seat.
3) Be as picky about the passenger pillion as the rider's seat.
4) The vinyl is more affordable and wears very well. I have the all-leather and wish I'd done otherwise...just doesn't make that much difference.
5) Go heated if you plan to do touring when temps are below 60 degrees...makes Momma REALLY happy!
6) Consider this an investment...I've used the seat on three different touring bikes. This is why #1 is so important.

All that said, if I had it to do all over again, I would give Mean City Cycles and Corbin a closer look before pulling the trigger. But I was trying to solve for a very specific issue...my wife's severe back problems which have since been corrected with spinal fusion. The layered high density foam that RDL uses was the right answer for us.

Good luck!
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

blown alcohol

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »

I thought about buying a cheap used seat, and just sending it from seller to RDL. Only thing is they want pics of you sitting on bike with the seat that is be modded. Now, my oem seat tore, and has been repaired on the nose, so it's in ok shape. I figured I would save the $150 (buying used seat+shipping to me) to put towards RDL. I also plan to keep this bike for a long time. I just had motor built/tuned.

I am 2700 miles from RDL.
I have contacted MCC, and they can not do anything with the oem seat. I am only 45min from Allen@MCC.
I have also just thought about buying a mustang touring seat, and be done with it.

I would like for them to keep the oem heat. Although I really do not use the heated seat, or grips much (maybe in early spring/late fall). Heated seat and grips can not compare to heated gloves, jacket, pants, and socks.

So, do you recommend all vinyl, or vinyl with leather inserts?
I will do the half moon stitching that closest to oem look.

before this bike I had a 2010 ultra limtied. Honestly, I thought the oem seat on that bike was great. I would be just as good finding the oem part#, and find that seat cheap on ebay. I had a 1k days on that stock seat.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »

I have struggled with seats on my bikes for years as I get "monkey butt" very easily. On my BMW I did the ride in program with RDL and it is in a world all of its own! I can go for a full tank (7 gallons) with zero issues. Went with full leather and it has worn perfectly. Below is a pic. I get many dont like the look as I didnt before I got it but cant say enough good things about the comfort!
Alan

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 11:20:22 PM »

I have struggled with seats on my bikes for years as I get "monkey butt" very easily. On my BMW I did the ride in program with RDL and it is in a world all of its own! I can go for a full tank (7 gallons) with zero issues. Went with full leather and it has worn perfectly. Below is a pic. I get many dont like the look as I didnt before I got it but cant say enough good things about the comfort!

I'd always had the same first reaction after a quick look.  Just struck me as too wide or didn't match the lines of the bike or something.  Just not an attractive visual.  Then Simon was kind enough to let me sit on his at Eureka Springs a couple years ago.  My ass told my brain to shut up.  Form follows function in a way that I'd not anticipated here.  It was obvious enough quick enough to know that as much as I like the seat on my longer distance bike when/if it needs replaced there's not a second thought about what would replace.  It'll get one of those funny looking wide weird Russell Day Long seats and my ass will tell my mouth to shut up and never complain about after every comfortable ride.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 12:06:10 AM »

Highly recommended RDL. As posted, do the ride in program if at all possible. Go with heat. I went all leather but I'm sure vinyl is fine. I've also read good reports in the sunbrella fabric for the seat areas.

It's the most comfortable seat available in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

blown alcohol

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 03:05:43 AM »

Looking for a donor seat to send to RDL.
Will a seat from an ultra classic, or ultra limited fit without mods on 2013 cvo? PART # 52164-10

I read on another board on 2012 up cvo's you need to remove fender trim strips when using the 52164-10?
What exactly are the fender trim strips?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 09:55:54 AM »

Looking for a donor seat to send to RDL.
Will a seat from an ultra classic, or ultra limited fit without mods on 2013 cvo? PART # 52164-10

I read on another board on 2012 up cvo's you need to remove fender trim strips when using the 52164-10?
What exactly are the fender trim strips?

Fender trim (long chrome strips mounted to the fender) were on the CVO Street Glides, not the CVO Ultra Classics
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

blown alcohol

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »

I have a seat 52164-10 on the way. Just waiting for RDL to get back with my build date.
I originally wanted half moon stitching. I like this smooth look with an orange stripe to match the tribal orange.
I sent them a pic to see if they still did this style, and send out orange samples to match my bike.

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »

I have a seat 52164-10 on the way. Just waiting for RDL to get back with my build date.
I originally wanted half moon stitching. I like this smooth look with an orange stripe to match the tribal orange.
I sent them a pic to see if they still did this style, and send out orange samples to match my bike.

Glad you found a donor seat. One thing to consider regarding the pattern and color combo is the seat may not match a future bike’s color scheme.

I have the half moon stitch and like it.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »

You guys are about to cost me some money...
Most great stores start with a bad decision

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 10:27:38 PM »

You guys are about to cost me some money...
:huepfenlol2: :oops: :huepfenlol2:

blown alcohol

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 01:16:18 PM »

Yellow09SERG,

that seat with a yellow, or graphite gray stripe would look nice on your 09. If you are thinking about it you may want to fill out form to reserve a spot. I emailed last week about possible production date, and was told end of Oct. This weekend I filled out online form, and my production date is Nov. 5th. Then I was told about 2 weeks from Nov. 5th. (seat build + shipping).

I have a used seat part# 52164-10 that was used on 2013 FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLTRU. So, it should fit fine at the console, and seat bolt on fender. I have read where some of the later seats (possibly 14up) that are a little longer, and may come higher up on console. If you look to buy a used seat check #'s at ronnie's parts finder HD.

I still may use stock seat to send in to keep heated seats. If I ever sold bike I could just put the ebay seat on it. I bought one that is in good shape, no rips, or tears.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »

Yellow09SERG,

that seat with a yellow, or graphite gray stripe would look nice on your 09. If you are thinking about it you may want to fill out form to reserve a spot. I emailed last week about possible production date, and was told end of Oct. This weekend I filled out online form, and my production date is Nov. 5th. Then I was told about 2 weeks from Nov. 5th. (seat build + shipping).

I have a used seat part# 52164-10 that was used on 2013 FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLTRU. So, it should fit fine at the console, and seat bolt on fender. I have read where some of the later seats (possibly 14up) that are a little longer, and may come higher up on console. If you look to buy a used seat check #'s at ronnie's parts finder HD.

I still may use stock seat to send in to keep heated seats. If I ever sold bike I could just put the ebay seat on it. I bought one that is in good shape, no rips, or tears.

That seat really looks nice. If we do one this year we will probably late in the year. Be a great Christmas present for the wife...  :huepfenjump3:
Most great stores start with a bad decision

blown alcohol

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »

I received my seat Friday. It's going to rain all day today. Sunday I will try to get in few hundred miles.
I sent in my oem seat, and options were solo, retain heat, and leather/vinyl.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 12:52:30 PM by blown alcohol »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.