Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lowering a 2021 CVO Street Glide  (Read 2126 times)

Ed Toussaint

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

lowering a 2021 CVO Street Glide
« on: August 15, 2021, 08:23:26 PM »

I installed a HogWorkz 2 inch lowering kit and now the knob on the shock rubs the belt on hard bumps and I keep bottoming out. I am a short guy and need the bike lower so I am asking if anyone has done either progressive or air ride? I am around 170 and my wife about 130. I just don't want to bottom out on a brand new bike but still want a nice ride.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: lowering a 2021 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »

Did you try adjusting the knob on your left shock? Cranking it up a few notches could help until you find a permanent fix.

I recommend giving the guys at Legends a call.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 05:08:00 AM »

I installed a HogWorkz 2 inch lowering kit and now the knob on the shock rubs the belt on hard bumps and I keep bottoming out. I am a short guy and need the bike lower so I am asking if anyone has done either progressive or air ride? I am around 170 and my wife about 130. I just don't want to bottom out on a brand new bike but still want a nice ride.
Be careful you don’t shred your rear wiring harness that runs under your fender if you are bottoming out.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:39:37 AM »

Might want to read the notes with the kit.

'14+ Street Glide, Road King, and Road Glide models w/ 12” adjustable shocks (P/N 54000114 / 54000096) must not exceed 250 lbs laden with lowering kit installed.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »

Ed just an FYI.....a number of people here lowered their CVO a few years back and it resulted in a number of issues (wiring harness, floorboards dragging and an accident as a result of the lowering). 

Jonga is also short and lowered his bike.  We were riding in the mountains and he was directly in front of me going around a curve.  His bike was low and he wasn't able to make the curve at the same speed as those in front of us.....his rear tire lost traction and he went down.  Slid off of the road and directly in to the hill in front of him.  Others posted similar issues. 

Just something to seriously consider before lowering your bike.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 10:25:39 AM »

as mentioned, lowering reduces ground clearance, especially in turns. maybe try different seat or having the seat cut out to lower the height
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 10:33:19 AM »

Ed
All good advice, above. Jonga's accident could have been much worse. The new Panamara's suspension lowers the bike as you come to a stop. I have not researched it but I'm sure there are aftermarket systems that would do the same. I know there are air ride systems where you can do the same manually.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 11:55:16 AM »

as mentioned, lowering reduces ground clearance, especially in turns. maybe try different seat or having the seat cut out to lower the height

The MoCo has a seat called a "Reach" that moves you 2" forward and the tongue of the seat is narrower providing better ground reach for shorter people. 

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Reach-Seat/p/52000334
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 12:20:10 PM »

I would either take the lowering kit off or stop riding it until you figure out how to keep it from rubbing the belt…changing the belt is a huge project and very expensive if you have to pay someone to do it.

My bike was lowered by the previous owner and while I love the slammed look, having ridden a lowered bike for the last 7 years, I would not do it because it rides rougher, scrapes the pavement when transitioning between uneven surfaces, cannot corner as well, and I have to roll the wheels onto 1” pieces of wood just to get the lift under the frame.  I can remove the lowering blocks in the rear but would have to go into the shocks to replace the springs up front to bring it back to factory specs.

As others have said look into getting another seat or, better yet, have yours re-worked to your liking by Mean City Cycles…they can shave it down and put gel pads or memory foam in there to make it comfy, while maintaining the factory CVO seat look.

3mcam

• Junior CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE Bronze Armor
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 02:13:55 PM »

I too am Vertically challenged. I lowered both front and rear along with a low profile seat. I used 12" shocks with 1" lowering blocks plus a low profile tire for the rear which dropped me 2.5"-3" inches. The front was just lowered cartridge's. I am a very aggressive driver and love going hard in the curves. Had I dragged the floorboards, absolutely. If you are concerned or apprehensive about dragging I would try the Thundermax iride. It automatically adjust to your preset riding parameters and will lower the bike when at a preset speed, which you can adjust. This is something I'm definitely going to investigate this system. I just bought a new 2021 CVO limited and it is even higher than my 2015 was new.

99 Blue flame

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue flame
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »

A buddy of mine has an air ride system that adjusts on the fly. You can drop it when you want and raise it once you are moving.

Page created in 3.503 seconds with 21 queries.