Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Jordans - 2001 Road King Build Thread. Swapping Marelli System to Delphi w/ o2  (Read 4364 times)

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Some Info before the Marelli / Carb to Delphi Swap

Alright.. I will just jump straight into it. I have a 2001 Road king. full SE kit. When i purchased it, I made the mistake thinking it was a CVO.. Unfortunately not. But it is defiantly a great bike Either way.  I just can't stand the Crude Magneti Marelli System.
I have a background of tuning most of my vehicles, and when you notice or feel small changes, the first thing i like to check is the Data Logs. With a marelli you get zero feedback.  It seems to be the 'Poke and Pray' Method.  So, it's time for a Delphi Swap. After I complete the Delphi swap, I will then be doing a Road Glide Conversion. That will Come after the Delphi Swap. Maybe i will keep it all in this thread. Unsure yet.

Also. I am in the middle of a Flip house. And unfortunately no garage. It will soon be on the market, and maybe ill get my garage then . So if you see...... "Rigged" "Mickey Mouse" looking photos.. please Concede and Proceed.   

With the magneti marelli.. We have 3 options really.. 1x Carb. 2x. Complete Custom like a megasquirt. or 3x. Do what harley did, upgrade the bike to a delphi.
In my opinion the best option is to do what harley did, Upgrade to the Delphi system. Having a 3D View of the engine vs 2D is huge. I also want o2 sensor control. Open loop / Closed Loop.
I thought about a ThunderMax.. However it seems they will soon be not supported and i didnt wanna go down that road. Plus i want Open Closed loop functions. and i'm sure other reasons I cant think of right now
I am hoping this will be a great tech article for anyone that wants to switch from a carb to EFI. Or Marelli to Delphi.  Not having to mess with Jet kits and being able to hit any elevation while riding a vintage is a big plus.

Now I am in no way an expert, and i want to say all the credit of the Magneti Marelli or Carb To Delphi Swap, Goes To Don. ( TWOLANERIDER) Without him, this would never have happened.  This will be a snapshot of the swap, so you will see many questions along the way. I will update the main thread at the end.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
Onto the real fun, The Delphi Swap:
/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

First thing's First. The parts list:

PARTS LIST:
2002-2005 Throttle Body
2004-2005 Main/Engine Wire Harness - 70233-04A
( If you have a front fairing you'll also need the interconnect harness ): 70232-04 if Electra Glide. - 70274-04 if Road Glide.
04-05 ECM(Engine Computer ): ( MAKE SURE YOU ORDER THE CORRECT ECM! )
04-05 Speedo Sensor: - 74430-00D
04-05 Delphi Ignition Coil: - 31743-01
04-05 Delphi Coil Bracket - 70348-02
04-05 Crank Pos Sensor : - 32707-01C
04+ Speedometer : - 67410-04A
04-05 EFI External Fuel LIne: - 62900-01D
04-05 EFI Fuel Check Valve Tube :- 62228-03
04-05 ECM Bracket: - 70348-02
04-05 Battery Tray: - 66281-02A
04-06 Complete Fuel Pump Unit : - 75127-06
** Depending on your situation, you may need a new Air Filter and Mount.

Some Information about TSM or TSSM ( Turn Signal Security Module )
*** If you have Key Fobs.. Or you want Security. You have.. a few options.. try to follow along.  If you Order a new TSSM & ECM Combo Already married.  You are set, just program your keys and your done.  If you want to only order a ECM, and marry your ECM and TSSM, you must follow the procedures.  Ill try to find a link.   
**** Now.. If you don't care about security. Just order a regular TSM and ECM. no marriage process, and no key fobs.

( ..:: NOTES ::.. )

I believe that is the full list, i will update it if needed, it's getting pretty late and the beers are getting few, must mean bed time is near.
If you plan to swap to a 2006 or 2007, all the parts must match that exact year. And a few more steps come into play.
There is also an option to upgrade the Charging system to the 3 phase system.
The Delphi ignition coil will need a custom fabbed bracket or some type of mounting ( you can use the newer bracket if you have it ).
You will also need to mount the insides of the side panels, ( ECM, Fuse boxes, etc ).  It's important for these items to  be properly secured, as close to factory as possible.

Also, Their may be shortcuts depending on your year, However. this swap will give you the full Data system between the harness, Speedo, TSSM, ECM, etc. Much  better to do the complete correct swap.
The main goal here, is to avoid a frankenstein.  :nixweiss: :bananarock: :mango:

( THE BUILD ):

First.. we had to get all the orders in.. eBay and amazon single handed, I received all my parts from. Took about 2 weeks of scouring. I'm not sure what happened to the 02-05 throttle bodies recently, but when i first started this project, i was deciding to go the 06 route.. and once a decided to land back to the 02-05.. all the throttle bodies listed on ebay were GONE. Yes.. i seen 10+ listed for as little as $30.. and now.. NONE. occasionally i will see that one crazy person show up with the $500 Throttle body.. of course that is a pass..  Mostly patience.. and you'll score the parts. unless you have a local harley salvage yard. that would be great to get a donor bike.

In total , i think i have spent $350 without the Fuel pump. I couldn't score one, so i paid the tax fee of $250. Brining my personal total to $600.

Picked up a TTS tuner, to tune the bike once complete..  I am not %100 sure how to resize these photos.. to make them smaller and clickable..  maybe i will figure it out and edit this.

​​​​​​​

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 01:30:36 PM by jae30001 »

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Parts Incoming 
Parts starting to roll in.  O fcouse filling up the kitchen and wife asking questions!

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

I am Cleaning up and gasket matching to heads.  Some call this porting.  Note all the black area, that is what can be removed.  it is basically a wall that the air is hitting.

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Here is a photo of the black area removed.  I will still need to blend both sides, and polish the exhaust side.

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Yesterday, I removed some of the basic items from the bike.  I ordered a set of 2006 Heads, and began cleaning them up.  Gasket matching the ports basic stuff.  as listed above.

Today, The wife helped.  We got the bike down to the basics, removed the old wiring harness completely, and started to route the new harness to its living place.  Once its through the battery tray, and you get the Y in place under the tank, it seems to be home free.
The Cam position sensor gets cut, and left out as harley did away with it. 

Tomorrow will be connecting the Coil, CPS, and getting the new fuel tank guts put in!

Also for tomorrow Figuring out how to handle photos on here!

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Here is a shot of taking apart the fuel tank, getting ready to install the new fuel assembly.  Notice its getting dark, and my shaggy outside setup is not suite for it!

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Here is a photo of the marelli harness removed. Just missing the Throttle body to go with it.   Soon will be on ebay!

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Here is a little update on how the heads are looking

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

When mentioning the harnesses in the parts list above the main harness for Road King is different than the main harness that would be needed for a Road Glide or Electra Glide.

And......

And I don't want to be a buzz kill here; but how badly in that tank lining delaminating?

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

you caught that too!.  I will empty the tank and look into it further tomorrow.  is that common?  how bad is "too bad"?

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Re: Jordans - 2001 Road King Build Thread. Swapping Marelli System to Delphi
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 01:49:47 AM »

while I have it apart.  figured a great time to knock out the handle bar bushings.   they were definitely cooked.

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 01:56:43 AM »

Something Don pointed out that's extremely important.   after the 2001 era Harley ditched the old school "Circuit Breaker".  Shown in the photo.  new style uses the large 40amp fuse. not pictured  :2vrolijk_21:

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »

when you get a speedometer. make sure you get the lock ring included.  as the older speedo is thicker

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »

Throttle Body is out!  adjustment on the new throttle body will definitely be needed.  wot gets me about %75

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 02:06:01 PM »

s&s Cam Plate.  Andrews gears and chain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.