Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Low idle stallng  (Read 2803 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Low idle stallng
« on: September 17, 2021, 04:57:06 AM »

I've been dealing with this intermediate low idle stalling on my 07 ultra for some time now. It doesn't always stall out but when it happens it continually wants to cut out at every stop the only way to rectify the issue is to turn off the ignition then restart the motor then it won't stall out at further stops (like in town stop n go).
Well yesterday I took a ride out to Robin Hood Harley Davidson about a 30 mi none stop run on a 60 mph road i got into town and had no stalling issues at any of the stopping points (lights n traffic) then I pulled into the Dearlerships Court yard "bang" it wanted to stall out ????

I ordered up a throttle positioning sensor perhaps replacing that it will cure the problem.

Any other thoughts are welcome, Cheers

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Low idle stallng
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:03:28 AM »

Does the bike have a fast idle at cold start up? If not the idle air control motor may be sticky or needs to be replaced.  Also cleaning the throttle plate can help.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 01:07:32 PM »

Does the bike have a fast idle at cold start up? If not the idle air control motor may be sticky or needs to be replaced.  Also cleaning the throttle plate can help.

Yes it has,  it runs at about 1200rmp for 30 sec or so and then drops as it warms up. To 950 rpm

The throttle plat is clean since I've rerouted the CCV out from entering the throttle body.  I cleaned the air temperature sensor as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 01:12:17 PM by longlast »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 03:19:03 PM »

Clean the iac passage and valve with carb cleaner. 

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 05:09:37 PM »

X2 the IAC     Had that happen to a friend of mine 2 years ago. Carb cleaner did the trick.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 06:26:58 PM »

Clean the iac passage and valve with carb cleaner.

:2vrolijk_21:

X2 the IAC     Had that happen to a friend of mine 2 years ago. Carb cleaner did the trick.

:2vrolijk_21:  I'll give that a good going over with carb cleaner

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »

if you have any build up around the butterfly & t body bore,this will cause that.clean that & the IAC

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 09:23:46 AM »

I  still haven't done anything with the throttle body I have been waiting for the throttle positioning sensor to arrive.  (Still waiting)

I've gone through two tanks of fuel since I last posted of this issue and haven't had any stalling issues  :nixweiss:

Sods law, how I've posted this next time I go out it'll want to stall every time I come to a stop.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »

I believed this happened to a buddy of mine. His bike was an '07 Ultra with 72K on it. Turned out to be the IAC i believe. Let us know when you get the new one installed.

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 04:58:19 PM »

My roadking with throttle cable would stall at stops intermittent when the speed sensor was dropping out. After replacement ran like a champ.
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune
Ephesians 2:8

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 05:51:47 AM »

STILL awaiting on part to arrive  :drink: :drink:

Took the advice n cleaned out the throttle body n used carb cleaner on the air temperature sensor n the throttle positioning sensor.
The motor almost cut out a couple of times but recovered it's self. On one near stall it recovered and even went into a high rev then dropped back to normal idle.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »

Finally the throttle positioning sensor arrives. Picked it up yesterday an today trying to remove the old one but having mega problems with getting the back fastener removed.  :furious3: driving me nuts .

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 11:30:23 AM »

It might be a good time to take the throttle body off, clean everything, replace the intake seals, and the sensor.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 12:07:16 AM »

It might be a good time to take the throttle body off, clean everything, replace the intake seals, and the sensor.

You know I had considered doing that. I've already done a throttle body seal leakage test and that was all good. Pulling the body is somewhat involved.  I'll only go that route if I have too. For now I'll stick with the pain taking fiddly chore removing the back fastener.

The intake port is extremely clean since I rerouted the ccv out of the intake.

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 07:53:06 AM »

Cleaning the IAC pintle should be regular maintenance.
The VSS is a known issue for the 2007 model year. 74402-05B is the updated (twice since your bike was new) part number.
I've replaced a dozen, all for the same complaint. "Stalls when coming to a stop, but IAC has been cleaned".  Removing it only takes a couple minutes, and if it's covered with metal filings, then it's time to replace the main drive gear, too.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.