Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do you have your shocks set for best solo riding?  (Read 1042 times)

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Where do you have your shocks set for best solo riding?
« on: October 09, 2007, 09:16:30 AM »

I was reading on the "HDFORUM" where some of the owners of stock Softails, consider the handling and ride to be best, when the stocks are set to their firmest setting, even while riding solo.
My shocks are at the softest setting. I was going to reset them to the firmest setting, to see what difference it made.
I have the spanner wrench and altered an 1 1/16" open end wrench. I could not break the retraining nut loose, even with the use of cheater bars for maximum leverage. I will have to go to the dealer and have them break the nuts loose and reset the shocks, making sure to tell them not to use locktite and not to over tighten the retainer nut.
The reason for me posting this is, I was wondering how many SE Fat Boy owners have reset their shocks to the firm setting and thought that it improved the handling while riding solo. Since our bikes are lowered in the rear and already ride firmer then a stock Fat Boy, would I be better off leaving them set in the soft position.
I have had several other motorcycles over the years, with the normal shock setup and I always set them to the firmest setting to improve handling.
Tom

speedy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Fatboy
Re: Where do you have your shocks set for best solo riding?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:05:55 AM »

Yeah I had them on the soft setting, swapped them onto my wifes 04 fatty then after a while put them on the firmest setting because they bottomed out too much. There was a bit of an improvement but they were still chit so I bought her a set of Caddies, they are a bit better but I dont really like them either as they`re too active, might rebuild them and reset the valves, (they have gold valves), and or increase the oil viscoscity. I ended up with fournales on my 06 SEFB, they`re pretty good.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.